Chile vs Irán y Brasil (Amistosos) [R]

Discussion in 'Chile: Selecciones Nacionales' started by MetroChile, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think the bench is not as bad as it seems, if we have our starting 11 but with 1-2 bench players we will do fine, however, if we try 5-6 bench players we are in trouble. No matter how, Jara has nothing to do in the national team, at least not as a center back.

By the way, those advocating the firing of Sampa imo have no clue. Are just passionate fans who, after a victory claim we will win the WC and after a loss that we are the worse we can possibly be.

2. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This was my favorite comment from your national team's facebook

"No tenis idea de futbol parece que vistes chile con irak no iran vistes la defensa solida de los wnes como jugaban cuando tenian el balon en la defensa a rechazar y chile a que jugo a salir jugando perdieron balones se crearon en los ultimos 15 min 3 jugadas de gol para chile y mas diria y los iranies estaban todos defendiendo el arco si no cachay de futbol a que se la llama cerrar bien las bandas y el medio campo no opinemos weas mano saludos"

So spot on. The bold part cracked me up :D:thumbsup:

3. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    jajajaja old rivalries never end.

4. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There is no such thing as Iran-Iraq rivalry, maybe in politics not in football. Iran-South Korea is a rivalry but certainly not Iraq :D;)

5. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In other news, Brazil defeated France 3-1

Dunga has maintained the same defensive line in the last 7 games.

6. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I told you. He has his team. It's the same one of the World Cup. That's why we haven't seen it again.

All of these games are just Sampaoli shuffling the deck to see if something else works. Obviously it's not working.

It if doesn't matter then why do you care so much either way?

Really?

7. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    This is a good point. I have to say, I though Jara was the better of our defenders (that doesn't say much I know). Rocco just gave it away and got easily turned, the other guy was anonymous.

Sampaoli had his team figured out as soon as the World Cup ended, but I think he underestimates the pressure the fans can put on the manager for a few friendlies.

Some of Chile's problems remain the same though. It doesn't matter who is managing Chile we will always suffer from high crosses into our box. It will be our undoing in an eventual defining stage. We suffered with Bielsa, Borghi and now Sampaoli. You can have Pep and Mou and the problem will remain. We can only hope to improve our possession and chance/conversion ratio to counter this.

Dunga's team is built to exploit our weaknesses. They play in a style that rewards "moments" not run of play or possession. They will make the most of the counters, set-pieces and corners. If anything it's more like playing Paraguay than traditional Brazil.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Seriously speaking, after this defeat, Chile will fall lots of places in FIFA's world ranking.
    If we happen to lose next match against Brazil, in no time we might even fall to a lower position than the one we had in Borghi's worst moment with us.
    :cautious:

9. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That is actually funny, rickdog. :thumbsup:

10. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We have yet to know if 'his team' still actually works. The last time I saw the starting team, we lost to Uruguay at home. Give me a break, he's not exactly getting a vote of confidence.

Other than his desire to continue experimenting, it's another one of his asinine ideas like when he keeps trying to call up Argies. He seriously needs to stop, it's getting pathetic. Zarate publicly admitted he had to say no to him again. Instead of being afraid of the pressure of hosting the cup, man up and concentrate in Chile.

It's more of a personal anecdote, but I have a lengthy memory of Chile getting results in friendlies and qualifiers after suffering a major catastrophe.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/...ante-un-eficiente-iran/2015-03-26/175751.html

Estadísticas

Chile (0): Claudio Bravo; José Pedro Fuenzalida (61' Mauricio Isla), Enzo Roco (61' Gary Medel), Gonzalo Jara, Juan Cornejo; Rodrigo Millar (61' David Pizarro), Erick Pulgar (46' Charles Aránguiz), Matías Fernández; Fabián Orellana (46' Alexis Sánchez), Eduardo Vargas y Mark González (61' Roberto Gutiérrez). DT: Jorge Sampaoli.

Irán (2): Alireza Haghighi; Vouria Ghafouri, Pejman Montazeri, Jalal Hosseini, Hashem Beikzadeh; Andranik Teymourian, Javad Nekounam, Ashkan Dejagah; Masoud Shojaei (70' Omid Ebrahimi), Vahid Amiri (90' Vouria Ghafouri); y Reza Ghoochannejhad (73' Karim Ansarifard). DT: Carlos Queiroz.

Goles: 0-1: 21'; Javad Nekounam y 0-2: 49'; Vahid Amiri.

Tarjetas amarillas: 5' Nekounam y 83' Teymourian.

Arbitro: Manuel Schüttengruber (AUS).

NV Arena de Sankt Polten, Austria.

12. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I would not make many choices, Roco played poor today, but the whole team did. He looked solid in the other friendlies. I think he does fine with a proper midfield. The main problem is the defense.

Id just go

Isla-Lich (Roco)- Medel- Mena

That is proven and helps a lot in our height department.

13. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    And I would add to it, playing very poorly.

Completely agree with the whole parragraph.
    Experimenting could have been Ok back then, but decided to play our starters instead, and failed. He could've experimented against bolivia, but decided to play our starters and only got a draw. Could've experimented against an amateur Haiti, but decided to use most of our starters and only won by 1-0 . Was perfectly Ok to experiment against the USA, when we knew that we were playing with players which usually didn't play for our NT and basicly from our home league.

But now, (at only 3 months to the Copa America) time for experimenting has finished and Iran was a perfect team on which we should have played our best possible team, where Sampaoli, simply blew it.

I think we should start thinking seriously, about a possible replacement for coach in the coming WC qualifiers.

We can hire Carlos Queiroz, as he is free now and out of job, so he can teach us how to defend.:p (just joking here, on this last sentence)

For Copa America though, we are screwed and got to finnish this process with Sampaoli ....

15. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    #115 posteador, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    That is fair. I'm not protecting him against criticism, I'm protecting against his right to try new players in friendlies.

I don't think you have noticed the trend for S.American teams to play friendlies in Europe. It is just more convenient for everyone, this is not just a Sampaoli thing. There is a reason we are playing Brazil in Europe and not in S.America. It's just more practical. This is just another stupid controversy made up by the press, when they should focusing on the poor football we have been showing. As for the Argies, none have been added to the team, so once again, much ado about nothing... I for one, am glad Zarate is not interested as I find him overrated.

Like when we lost to the Ukrainians when the Chilean miners needed a lift in spirit down there?

Winning in friendlies is nice and all, but their ultimate objective is to try and find working alternatives in tactics and players, that is the priority. I didn't come up with this, el maestro Tabarez (best S.American manager 2010, 2011) said it as well. Sampaoli should be criticised for not finding anything, not because he has tried to. That's his job.

I'd be more angry if he had kept the same team throughout these friendlies and gotten poor results every time. At least the guy is trying things, failing, but trying.

Despite all this I still think we will get out of out group stages, but my worries remain the same. We will concede on high crosses on key set-pieces, as is tradition, no matter who the manager has been for the last 10 years.

One of my hopes when Sampaoli took charge of Chile would have been seeing the inclusion of Marcos Gonzalez, unfortunately that chance has passed us by. I mean the guy has blunder every now and then (like against Paraguay), but for every blunder he has 20 clearances. He is really trying to get Rocco to work but I can't see him function in a line of 3. I agree with Yañez, a back 4 of Isla-Rocco-Medel-Mena might be the way to go... but then that still doesn't solve our lack of finishing up front. Maybe Miiko should get more playing time?

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In short, we bitch when Sampaoli doesn't test alternatives, like Roco for instance: he did it yesterday and it didn't work out (not just Roco, btw but I'm just citing him an example).

We can't bitch when he tries new players and then bitch when he doesn't try them: can't have it both ways. From all accounts, it seems like Chile were generally poor yesterday (I didn't see the game), using a number of 2nd-choice players.

That being said, in terms of performance and results, I don't see this team progressing past the QFs. I hope I'm wrong, though.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The problem for Sampaoli whenever he wants to do experiments with new potential players is that he changes completely the whole team, when using them. By doing that we will never know if those replacements can help the team as substitutes for it, together with the fact that the new ones will never learn from the older ones how to play with them. It is as if he is trying to do a completely new team, with the new ones, while keeping the "other" team untouched, as it is. Yesterday when he wanted to change things, he switched almost all the players at the same moment, leaving in the field only those whom he has used before (instead of replacing Roco, he should've replaced Jara, although I believe Jara was playing better than Roco, at the first half, but it is Roco whom needs time with the team to adapt). He is not being fair to the new ones.
    Another possibility would have been to switch diferent players, one at a time, on a more extensive lapse of time, giving the new players a few minutes to play with the regulars.

18. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Yeah, this was the point Yañes made and I have to agree. I'm not sure if Sampaoli is genuinely trying to find alternatives or just covering his back so that people won't be able to say you didn't try so and so. I have the feeling we won't see many new faces once the Copa America starts.

19. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Ashkan, MVP of match?

20. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    [​IMG]

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Good points..

And/or...

we simply just do not have depth beyond the first XI and arguably, there are weak spots within that first XI.

22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    http://redgol.cl/2015/3/las-dos-probables-formaciones-que-maneja-s/

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Para los que no se acuerdan, Isla comenzó su carrera como líbero y es más, a veces se desempeñaba como tal en la Sub20 de Sulantay. Con esto no quiero decir que es una buena idea, solamente que no es una posición que Isla desconozca por completo.

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #124 Rickdog, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Isla, tanto en la UC, como con la sub 20 del 2007, era un volante más.
    Fue Bielsa el que lo tiró para atrás.

El que alguna vez fue líbero, ese fue Vidal en Colo Colo. Borghi siempre lo utilizó como tal (incluso esto es lo que pretendió hacer con él, cuando asumió con la selección tras la renuncia de Bielsa).

25. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Al final Sampaoli propuso dar un orden defensivo a la seleccion y salio jugando con un solo delantero por largo ratos del encuentro.

Marcador final: 0-1