Chile U20's fight with police after game

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kopper, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LMAO, the CFL is barely surviving, Ottawa collapsed, and many teams are running in the red. just becasue they have a team doesnt mean they are economically feasible. Look at the NHL, most teams are running deficits, hence the profit-sharing that was brought in after the lockout.

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    You are simply making assumptions about the CFL, you might want to STFU and do some research yourself.

Man, what's with all these newbies!

3. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Yes jadger do some research before you post non-sense on the board or else STFU. It's not just me who refute your posts, but others as well.

The CFL is having the best time it has economically in 20+ years. Pretty much all 8 francshises are making money now and Montreal is doing stadium expansion. Yes there are problems in Ottawa, but the right owenership group has to come in there plus they are more than looking into expanding eastward to Halifax and/or Quebec City. Profit sharing in the NHL? yeah ok!! The MLS is more profit sharing, but not the NHL.

Know your figures and look into facts before you clog the board with your mindless drivel.

4. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you call me a noob but I joined less than a month after you, geez, what's with these dimwits?

As for Montreal Stadium expansion, they cant fill the Olympic stadium so they went to the McGill grounds so they could sell out each game, and not look so empty. That is why they play playoffs in the Olympic Stadium and season games at McGill. and most of the money for the stadium expansion is government grants to the university. As well, they were asking for $4 million of donations of private money, in return the donaters get their name inscribed in the wall. so much for being economically feasible if all your expansion money comes from begging and government grants.

yes, they are having the best time they've had in 20 years, but it still is hardly sustainable outside the key areas.

5. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    So by your notion all 4 major sportso n this continent are no economically feasible because they all ask the government assistance to build their stadiums and arenas :rolleyes:

Post something with a solid argument. And something concrete why soccer on a pro level wouldn't work here. Your statements are lies and false.

6. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no, but there are a couple of things that separate the Als specifically from the other sports.

a)they dont own their own stadium, other sports teams do
    b)MOST of the money they get for building is from government grants, they cannot support it on their own, others can. and others provide most the money themselves, not take gov't grants and ask the public to give them the rest.

I post things with solid arguments, but then there's this troll who ignores half of what I say and attacks the other half totally out of context :rolleyes:

7. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    No you have not posted solid arguments. Just your opinions. I read your posts on the Chile-Police incident and now pro soccer and the CFL. Your points are opinionsa nd any figure you make are waay off.

Examples : Can. population is 1% of USA which in fact is 10%
    Stating we can't support a pro soccer league because our pop. is too far spread. You don't explain then how the CFL survives with the exact same population. Actually I beleive a soccer league would be able to survive better than the CFL .

There are others but I don't fel like digging them up.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When it comes to Ottawa, the CFL has to take long-term stability over a huge expansion fee. The latest talks fell through because the league was asking $5 Million for expansion rights.

The league got $4M from the original Renegades ownership.

9. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, Troll, so I have a typo and omit the 0. as if you havent missed a letter or number before? I'm pretty sure you forgot to put "Idiot" or "Troll" in your personal profile, as those both define you.

10. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What are you talking about? I simply said wait for the proper authorities to perform their investigations before you start blaming anyone. Don insinuate that I'm blaming anyone nor should you assume that you're right. Wait for the ********ing facts. How hard is that?

As for the English hooligans, you said that Euro 2004 went off without a single incident and I showed you that it didn't. You said that the police did what they had to do. So did ours. "The Portuguese police act, they don't react" could possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard by the way. What does that mean? LOL. How does one "act" versus "react" in a situation where a group of people could potentially be acting like hooligans as the English were and allegedly how the Chileans were? Do you mean to tell me that the Portuguese police used little to no force in arresting these hooligans? Bullshit because I saw footage of that incident and BRUTE force was indeed used. It sounds to me like you don't fully understand what you're saying.

One more thing; Canada has also been praised by countless FIFA representatives about the success of this event, so spare me your Portugal-is-the-model-host rhetoric. It doesn't matter anyway because I'm done with this thread. Why? Well, because it's over and I was lucky enough to see both the semi-finals and the finals. I'll just end this by saying that the Argentinian and Czech fans were quality. They were model supporters indeed. Good show folks and congratulations to Argentina!

11. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    And that English hooligans stuff is the oldest stereotype in the book. I'm not English but whenever something bad happens, its always "Blame the English!". Like that CL Final in Athens. There was a problem prior to the game and immidiately the local authorities come out guns a blazin' blaming Liverpool fans for everything with no proof what so ever. It was only later on when UEFA officials said that Liverpool fans were not the problem that the thing was addressed within a civil manner. Honestly, most European fans are just as bad, if not worse, than English hooligans. I mean Italians killed a police officer. Spanish fans are racist (sadly, it is true). French have right-wing hooligans etc.

Anyways, CFL is definitely more popular than any professional soccer league in this country. The participation level of 12 year old girls should not be a factor when considering the popularity of pro soccer in Canada.

12. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe that the CFL, in terms of numbers per game attendance, ranks #6 in the world.

Here's the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues

Yes, obviously a football season has only 18 games per team and the league is small so revenue and total attendance is not part of the discussion but the fact that the league ranks as highly on a game by game basis is very interesting.

db

13. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Does Budesliga have less than 20 teams? Because they are only playing 306 games per season.

Either way, that CFL number is quite impressive. Considering those numbers, you would expect that the league be in a better financial position. I mean those CFL players are getting paid in peanuts. I know a lot of CFL players who are supply teachers during the off-season in order to make ends meet. I think there is some major mis-management going on over at the CFL heads.

14. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    actually yes, the Bundesliga has less than 20 teams (18 to be exact, each team plays a home and home over the season with everyone), and they play 36 games per season, not including the Deutcher Pokal or the European Cups.

dont get me wrong, I love the CFL, and hope it prospers, but you cant really say "we should start a pro soccer league, becuz a pro league can work, look at the CFL"

back in the 50s and 60s players used to get paid more in the CFL than the NFL (higher dollar helped that out), and because of a lack of segregation, the best players came up here to play.

15. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Oh yeah, without a doubt. I absolutely do not believe that a Canadian Soccer league will work under current circumstances. At best, I think we can some more teams in MLS, USL 1 and USL 2.

16. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    One way of looking at it is Canada has the size of USA, and the population of California. It's like they emptied all the other states, and then let Californians spread across ... :p

17. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    They also need to ensure Ottawa has a half decent team to start with, in my opinion. They hadn't a .500 team in, like, a century. To start em off again with a team that flops 4-14 isn't gonna do anyone any good.

18. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Which was exactly the pyramid approach that Kevan Pipe and the CSA were advocating because of the unlikelihood of a Canadian league being successful in the present climate. Three MLS teams, Tor, Mtl, Van supported by the rest of the big cities having USL 1 and 2 franchises.

19. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Can't really help that, that's what happens with expansion teams. What may happen and seems to be slowly falling into place is an alliance between the only people still standing after the brawl.

Barry Sherman has the bucks, and Jeff Hunt, the stability, knowledge and respect of the local market. Sherman's frontman Frank D'Angelo, likely unwanted by CFL brass, may be able to pony up the money himself if fronted by Hunt.

Can't remember but I think Sherman may have dropped out leaving only Hunt and D'Angelo as still interested.

Old article on subject

20. NS Rooney

NS Rooney New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    What's the CFL got to do with Chili/Toronto police? Someone should start a CFL thread if it's so damn important.

21. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your math is off on the Bundesliga (I & II). They play 34 games per season, not 36.

22. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    I wouldn't have contested that. He gets pissed off when someone points that kinda stuff out.

23. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    And that is why we currently do not have one.
    Change the circumstances and we can support one. With proper marketing, investment, nurturing we can support a league of 12 teams across this country with an avg of 12,000-15,000 which is pretty damn good.

24. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    There day to day harrasment of people. Busint peeople with2 greans of weedand the jude throrwing it out. TYhi is not the USA,Time ur force joined the 20 centurie.

25. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and you would have citations for that? or news articles wherein that is discussed. of course you hate the cops for taking your stash, but that's no reason to accuse them of brutality or corruption