Chicagoland Boys Leagues

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by 1goldeneagle, Sep 17, 2018.

1. 1goldeneagle

1goldeneagle Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    Curious as to how the Boys leagues in Chicagoland would rank. Obviously DA is the top but personally not sure how they'd go from there
    IMO:
    1. DA
    2. National League
    3. MDL
    4. ECNL
    5. NPL
    6. MRL
    7. IYSA S.P.
    8. NISL
    9. IYSA
    10. YSSL

Missing anything? Thoughts?

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Top 5 IMO...

1. DA
    2. NPL
    3. ECNL
    4. National (includes MCL)
    5. NISL

I don't know how much the MDL would stack against the highest NISL teams.

1goldeneagle repped this.
  3. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    The NISL Premier 1 (NPL) is much better competition overall than MDL or USYS. Granted there are some teams in the other platforms that could beat NPL teams, but in terms of depth in competition Prem 1 is hard to beat in the region. MDL and National League are pretty even...they both have some good teams and some not so good.

1. DA
    2. NISL Prem 1 (NPL)
    3. ECNL
    4. USYS (MRL/National League whatever its called now)
    5. NISL Prem 2 and down
    6. Latino/Polish/ethnic league
    7. Recreational leagues
    8. Pickup/Open soccer
    20. YSSL

1goldeneagle repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Why jamming YSSL so harshly?

Yeah - they are the worse of the two (YSSL/NISL) but really?

5. 1goldeneagle

1goldeneagle Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    New to the MDL this year, I guess I had higher expectations. It's looking like you're correct, competition at the top of NPL is better than MDL. It looks to be more in line with MCL(old MRL) regional divisions minus the top National divisions I guess. I personally haven't seen ECNL but I'm now guessing it falls close to MDL, MCL.

6. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    +1. It's possible that the top division at NISL (club/conference) is better than divsion 1 at YSSL (I honestly don't know if that's true, but I had always heard NISL was better too - could just be marketing), but can say with confidence that from Division 2 down it's exactly the same with a lot of community clubs in the western suburbs particularly switching from NISL to YSSL recently.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am not sure why MDL and the girls NPL are even around.

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    NISL usually at the top has a lot more travel - that's what coaches often state. But the reason is because there are less quality teams to play at the top - no different then the IWSL/YSSL IMO.

But traditionally I would rank the top divisions of NISL much higher then YSSL.

Oh it brings back memories of carding girls in YSSL so they can play for lower teams at Chicago Magic :eek:

9. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I just looked at division 1/Platinum for U14. Considering that somehow FC Hawks Black is in both (not sure how they are able to do that), that pretty much strengthens the argument that they are more similar than different. YSSL still maintains a North and South in division 1 so that makes NISL a bit more exclusive at the top (6 teams vs @14).