Chicago White Sox- and other great players

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Greddy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, there's not much to be thrilled about this summer for us White Sox fans. The only moves involving our club where that of players leaving. But things aren't all bad. Ozzie seems to be an ok manager, at least from the way the players have been talking. Spring training has been pretty quiet, but when you're talking about White Sox spring training, no news is good news. But still, this season is looking to be pretty depressing.

I came up with an idea to cheer myself up, and any other White Sox fans that probably aren't out there. Contrary to popular belief, not all of the greats played for the yankees:). We had some pretty darn good players as well. I'm posting some info about a great Sox player from the past. I hope some one out there will do the same. In fact, it doesn't even have to be a Sox player (though it would best), just a player that you have a certain affinity towards. You didn't have to see him play or even be alive when he played. Hell, Billy Crystal's favorite yankee is Roger Marris. So here goes nothing.

My player is one "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

[​IMG]

Shoeless Joe has the third highest career batting average in the history of baseball.

He played for the Chicago White Sox from 1915 to 1920. 1920 was the year that he was banned from baseball for taking part in throwing the 1919 World Series. There is still a debate as to whether he should have been banned. Many, including myself, believe that he did not take part in the fix. I draw this conclusion from the fact that he was judged innocent in both the federal and civil trials that followed the series, as well as simply looking at his World Series performance. The fact that Joe Jackson and Eddie Cicotte(Great Sox pitcher) won the Sox three of the WS games despite the fact that their own teammates were working against them. What Joe was guilty of was what is called “guilty knowledge”. He knew that a fix was being planned. He was approached to take part in it by a teammate(seeing as how he was the best player), but refused. He was offered 20 thousand dollars to take part, but still refused. Before the WS started he went to Charles Comisky, then owner of the Whitesox, to tell him of the fix but was not believed. At the time, it was thought of as impossible to fix the World Series. Joe’s crime was not going to the press. Something he didn’t do for many reasons that I won’t get into. Anyways, Joe went on to play in the tainted Series, and he played his heart out. He set a new WS record with a batting average of .370. He hit the only home run in the series, and scored 11 of the Whitesox 20 runs.

Shoeless Joe Jackson died in his home town in rural South Carolina in1951, banned from the sport that he loved. He was truly a great player, and I’m proud to remember him as a White Sox great.

I hope to see a response from someone out there. I know the Baseball forum isn't the busiest on Bigsoccer.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I saw the Sox at old Comiskey once, and Ron Kittle hit a HR into the bullpen during BP. Tom Seaver (a legend, who was the starting pitcher that game) tossed it up to me in the left field stand, then when he was done with his warmups, I threw it back to him and he signed it. Later, we got Kittle to sign it, too. I think it was '84 (the Sox' "Winning Ugly" year).

3. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I grew up three blocks from that stadium in Bridgeport. I still remember crying when they tore it down. That was back when we had the best stadium in Chicago. Now there's just Wrigley Field, which I refuse to set foot in.:D

4. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    how sad chicago fans don't really care about the sox. they all love cubs. why don't they exchange the stadium. comisky, i mean us celluler has more capacity than wrigley so let's just swap it.

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because then the stadium wouldn't be located in a giant beer garden. Without that, it wouldn't be "cool" to be a Cubs fan anymore and no one would go to the games. Thus ending their need for a larger capacity.

The good news.

White Sox -- First in our division

Cubs -- Third in theirs and struggling to stay above .500 :)

6. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    when i was in little league in southern wisconsin, i was on the white sox. got to go to a game the last year of old comiskey. then the next year we were at the new park for a game. i have never really disliked the sox, even when the brewers were in the american league. plus, i lived in chicago for two years. went to a lot of sox games. never went to wrigley. and am damn proud of that.

7. punk_in_drublic

punk_in_drublic New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    anyone here thinks Loaiza can repeat what he made last season?

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's 3-0 with 14 strike outs and 1 shut out, so i'd say he's off to a pretty darn good start. I doubt he'll match last year though. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great pitcher and he's actually improved his slider, but last year he was flat out dominant. He tied the record for wins by a Mexican pitcher and started the All Star game. That's a pretty tall order. I'm predicting something along the lines of a 16 win season with not as many strike outs. Not bad by any means, but not quite last years performance.

9. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Oh yeah!!

Too bad he lost last night putting his win-loss record at 4-1.

10. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    A heartbreaker last night for the White Sox fans............... as for me..... I'm off to start The Cubs Thread.

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still in first place. Woohoo!

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Hi, I'm from the future. We'd lose Frank and Mags to injury, but the next year we'd go 11-1 in the postseason to win it all without them.

GOAT postseason, arguably better than 99 NYY because of 4 consecutive CG victories.

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

MEET YOUR MAKER!

14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Are u ok, **********. Who's my maker

Good luck to the zephyrs next year. And to Catrachos if they ever make the WBC

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ON FOLK N NEM I KNOW YOU FELT SICK. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW YOU GONE FEEL AFTER THEY REPEAT LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

16. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Why you stanning a team 10000 miles away from you, b. Is you a bandwagon ********** [​IMG]

They ain't finna repeat, they will remain the Chi team that did it in an inferior way. 11-1 will stand forever, the flubs can never top that :cool:

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    can't stop the choo choo train my guy. RIP The White Cox. Bout to be sent to the Shadow Realm for GOOD.

btw send us Sale.. not like y'all need him.

[​IMG]

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    We're not gonna send Sale to the zephyrs, my **********. Yall will win the Pacific Coast League just fine.

It's a good thing no **********s wanna be Chi northsiders, shit is just [​IMG]

Plastic AF :sick:

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    White Cox out here lookin shaky baby -max b voice-

Its iight, Derrick plastic too I guess. Cusack done hopped the bandwagon.

RIP Southside Whox. Bout to paint the city blue for a long time with this squad.

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    [​IMG]Hollup, did Derrick Rose turn heel. Bruh, I will legit catch feelings if he on that Benedict Arnold stees

Cusack's a northsider, he played Buck Weaver in 8 Men Out and was on the 05 bandwagon.

Honestly, the best hope for the Palehose to compete in this town is our people. The cacs love Wimpy Field, so fck em. Fill Comiskey with nuestra gente, and we'll be good.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    realistically Comiskey be empty af during gameday. I dipped by last year and it was sad.

[​IMG]