Chicago Red Stars 2012

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by MRAD12, May 14, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Let's start the Chicago Red Stars 2012 thread by looking at the new kits. BTW, who came up with the word "kits"? What happened to the good old fashioned word "uniforms"?

http://equalizersoccer.com/2012/05/13/chicago-red-stars-debut-new-kits-by-gk1/

I personally do not like them. Just my honest opinion.

I like the Chicago Red Stars uniforms of the last 3 years like the one Michelle Wenino is wearing here.
    http://www.chicagoredstars.com/

I am not a fan of multiple designs and all kinds of colors and shades. Call me old fashioned, but I like my soccer uniforms generally solid colored or striped with solid colored shorts and solid colored socks.
    And a bright, neatly defined logo on the chest. That's it.

All these shades, semi-hidden designs, and multiple logos, nyeah. Not for me.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Agreed, these look too busy to me. At first I thought I liked the away kits, but then I noticed "oh, there's actually design-y stuff all over them". Hard to see, and yeah too busy. The home kits are a *bit* cleaner - would be even better if you took away the background designs, (I also have to image all that extra detail maybe doubles the price of the jerseys??) moved the formal crest to the open sleeve, and maybe raised the "big" star. Or lowered it - it just doesn't look right to me when it's "centered" like that.

*sigh* oh well. I bet it'll change again next year. I liked the traditional CRS jerseys, but I could definitely see the potential something cooler to come along, too. In the meantime, let's get this season started, za? =-)

3. CRS Owners

CRS Owners Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Thanks for the feedback. Long story on the jersey designs but won't do it all here. Obviously we like them but understand the concern re: business etc. Actually the colors came in a bit stronger than intended so that will be corrected. Picture it with a little more subtle chicago flag blue coloring and its not quite as 'cartoonish'. But that said we have a couple demographics and the younger seems to really like this -- traditionalists -- not so much. Sorry so infrequent on here. Remember you can always reach out directly to us at info@chicagoredstars.com.

Should be a good season and a good team but the 4 stadiums and the launch of WPSL Elite on short notice has created complexity that we took time to absorb. Ready for the home opener though. More player announcements later today.

Siberian Thunder aren't you in STL? We have Athletica players galore now... come see us -- on me.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    CRS Owners, thanks for responding. I live in Seattle for now (how long I don't know). But I will be in town for the 3 games June 3rd through June 10th. And I'll have you know I'm coming home to Chicago specifically during that week to see some Red Stars games and relive some of the good ole days of a few years ago when we were loud and proud of our Red Stars at Toyota Park. This time in Naperville.

I am looking forward to renewing the rivalry with Boston Breakers.

I have a question and "request":
    Are the Red Stars going to participate in the Women's Open Cup this year?
    And...
    When Sarah Hagen gets done playing at Bayern Munich (which should be soon), get her on the Red Stars when she comes back home to Milwaukee.

Thanks and see you in a few weeks.

5. CRS Owners

CRS Owners Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Mrad

we look forward to seeing you that week.

Yes we are going to compete in the Women's Open Cup.
    Yes we love Sarah, but she just extended her contract another 2 years i think (public source). She is ripping it up in Germany and a class player. But we have let her know that she is welcome to train with us any time she wants when in town and hope to see her this summer.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are to be commended and Chicago soccer fans should be greatful to you for sticking with this team. And while others may have flown the coop and other teams from the WPS have all out folded, you have seen the value of the Chicago Red Stars brand and have chosen to give your money and time in keeping this brand going.
    Coming to as many games as I could last year, I saw how much fun the girls had and how much heart they played each game. You have loyal fans in this great city who will turn out to the games.

You have assembled an awesome lineup for this season. Karen Carney has gone back over the pond, Megan Rapinoe has gone back to the West Coast and Cristiane is back in Brazil, but the local kids that you have brought together are second to none.

This is where pride comes in. These kids are from here. Chicago, St. Louis, KC, the midwest. They will represent with pride and guts out on the pitch. And your loyal fans, no matter the number will be there to support them.

I predict this year will be the best year in Red Stars history.

I think I speak for all Red Stars fans everywhere,
    Well done CRS Owners, well done!

7. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008

MRAD,
    I believe even though Tony designed the uniforms.....girls in general like multicolored uniforms. I liked the new nike uniforms used by the NCAA College Teams in the recent tournament and have always like the Oregon Ducks multicolored specimens.
    http://www.complex.com/art-design/2012/01/nike-unveils-new-hyper-elite-platinum-basketball-uniforms

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/568690-oregon-football-ranking-the-ducks-2010-2011-uniforms

I do have a question "Why is the owner of Western NewYork Flash sponsoring the Chicago Red Stars?" If you look at the Red Star uniform on the upper left crest you can see a SAHLENS logo silkscreened on the uniform. What's Up with That???

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    haha Nice! Yeah, I'm in STL, though I'll be moving out to MD mid-summer for grad school.
    I think Laclede's Army was considering a trip up to the CHI-BOS game; I haven't heard any news about it in a while, though. If I were to come up at some point, it'd have to be a Saturday game, though, as weekdays I'll be working at my dad's company and Sundays are church.

The Sahlens logo is plastered all over the WPSL sites - I think they're a league sponsor, kinda like Citi was last year for WPS.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Leclede's Army SHOULD come on the June 3rd CRS/Breakers game. I'll be in town as well. If we can get all the old gang together that used to go to Toyota Park + you guys from St. Louis, this can be an
    awesome get-together.

ratdog, where are you?

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm willing to bet former Athletica players, (of which there are a few on the Red Stars, not sure about Boston), would be thrilled to see Leclede's Army there.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still hoping to make it up for the June 3rd game, although admittedly, the thought of driving back to Collinsville that night and being at work at 7:30 in the morning isn't exactly the best idea for an old man like me. :)

I have contacted rokagrl and she said she would see if it were possible. I know the Lions have a PDL game down here in St. Louis the night before and some of the old Laclede's Army gang go to all of their games.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as good as the old WPS 1, but I will buy the white one tomorrow.

That is cool.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Sahlen was a league wide sponsor of WPS last year, and every teams jersey had his logo on the sleeve. He is probably a league wide sponsor of WPSL Elite. Definitely a good owner who goes all in.

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Boston Breakers have won their 4th game and are in solid control of first place with the Red Stars in second after beating FC Indiana 2-0.

Next Sunday's game in Chicago should be a heck of a match. Melissa Henderson is now on board for the Breakers and will be playing against her former Notre Dame teammates.

Can't wait for that game. I would love to see a big crowd in Naperville.

Will Ella Masar be back in time for that game?

16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win for The stars

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a good time and it was great catching up with MRAD12. I just wish it wasn't a 260 mile drive from my house, because I would certainly go to more games if I lived closer. I really hope this team gets a solid following, which they deserve. They have lots of talent, some really good veterans players, and should get even better when Masar (hopefully) arrives next week. Also, several local players and several players from U of I and Notre Dame.

Good win for the Red Stars, indeed, although I thought the Breakers really controlled the match late, after the Red Stars had a slight edge early. First half, I think Chalupny, Weissenhofer, and Fowlkes gave Boston's defense some problems. Chalupny was all over the place in the 1st half. Boston really shut them down in the 2nd half and Hemmings stopped Chalupny a couple of times one-on-one.

I was very pleasantly surprised with Forbes, who I thought had a solid game in goal and especially Wenino, who I thought had a great game at left back. I'm hoping the younger Illinois players, DiBernardo and Mutz can step their game up a little more. Not that they were bad, but you can tell they are still kind of feeling their way on this team. A little more experience against this level of competition will help.

As far as the facility goes, my only gripes were the surface (but there probably aren't that many grass fields available in the Chicago area so what are you going to do?), and because it is a multi-use stadium with the track between the stands and the field, it puts people a little farther away from the game than I would like. But other than that, it's a pretty nice facility.

I'm thinking about 800 in attendance, but that's just a guess. We sat closer to the field and it was hard to get a sense for how filled in it was behind us.

All in all, I had a great time, and thanks to MRAD12, I got to meet quite a few people as well.

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars-Breakers 37.jpg Red Stars-Breakers 23.jpg Red Stars-Breakers 39.jpg Red Stars-Breakers 21.jpg A few of my pictures from Sunday's match between the Red Stars and Breakers:
    1) Michelle Wenino makes a sliding tackle on Katie Schoepfer as Kyah Simon looks on.
    2) Former UNC and USWNT stars Lori Chalupny and Cat Whitehill.
    3) Jamie Forbes about ready to make a save on Kyah Simon's shot.
    4) Jackie Santacaterina heading the ball just wide beyond the outstretched hands of Breakers' keeper Alice Binns.

SiberianThunderT and ceezmad repped this.
  21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another victory for the Red Stars over one of the top teams, the NY Fury. I wasn't there, but from what I can tell Masar was at the game but apparently not active? I know she didn't play.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Went back to my home town of Chicago for a week and was able to go to 3 Red Stars games vs. Boston Breakers, Ney York Fury and Chesapeake.

The Red Stars are solid. Rory Dames has this team playing with passion and each player knows their roll. I was very impressed with the defending of Michelle Wenino as well as the goalkeeping of Jamie Forbes. Michelle Weisenhofer's flip throws are something to see. Lauren Fowlkes is also playing well.

One player stands out among both teams on the field , IMO and that is Lori Chalupny. She is The Captain, the field general for the CRS. It is a shame that this great talent is not on our USWNT roster.

Once Ella Masar gets on the field this team may be unstoppable in the WPSL Elite. I'm hoping soon.
    The last unofficial stuff I heard on Ella is that she was waiting for some FIFA paperwork to come through or something. They could use her tonight against WNY.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking too soon?

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No. Just speaking about what I saw the three games I watched. What happened last night, I have no idea. I couldn't get the feed to work so I couldn't watch it.

Apparently Masar didn't play. DiBernardo is in the U-20 camp I think.

25. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masar did not play last night and DiBernardo was not rostered.
    Supposedly there were technical issues with the web feed - I understand that they were trying to reboot the servers onsite to get the game feed back up in the 1st half. I believe that they had it up and running in the 2nd half.