NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    You mean when private individuals were funding the greatest explosion in art the world had seen in a millennium or more?

I'll admit I think cutting NEH and NEA funding (along with similar stuff) is dumb. But less because I think they are necessary government programs (the above comment is said mostly in jest, but I do think PBS would do just fine on donations without government funding), and more because they are drops in the bucket.

The problem is that there is no political will to cut any of the most expensive parts of the budget. No amount of cuts to those tiny programs are going to fix the budget issues.

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The GOP doesn't care about fixing the budget. They just want to stick it to the libtards. That whole fvcking party is just a message board on FreeRepublic.com.

xtomx repped this.
  3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I largely agree with the first two sentences. I can't speak to the last one, I've never been there.

At some point the Republicans are going to have to realize their hawkishness is largely incompatible with their small government message.

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    But keep voting right wing until they get it! :rolleyes:

xtomx repped this.
  5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  6. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such notable private parties as the Catholic Church, various Italian duchies, etc.? Or, more likely, the development of print technology to create an open market, that was in fact independent of the landed gentry and their religious collaborators?

"One solution to this relative stagnation in worth was printmaking, which freed the artists from wealthy patrons and their demands regarding the subject matter and composition of commissioned works".​

xtomx repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ...and yet

upload_2017-3-17_12-50-31.jpeg

skinut, Joe in CO and bunge repped this.
  8. Joe in CO

Joe in CO Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Jamestown, CO by way of Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fixed.

Edit: But yes, their hawkishness is entirely incompatible with with supposedly being for limited/small government.

LIZZIE, xtomx and Martininho repped this.
  9. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1884 skinut, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    citation (important in these times.)

10. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1887 xtomx, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    1. In the 16th Century it was not "private individuals", almost all were "royalty", so they WERE the government, who funded the explosion. As usual, you are wrong.
    2. It is mostly private individuals in the US, NEA is only $148 million, which is less than $.50 per American citizen per year.
    3. They are more vital than the goddamn "Border Wall" (and all cost less).
    4. PBS will survive, but will suffer. I suspect PBS in less populous places than Chicago may go away or go commercial.
    5. Not only was there no "political will to cut" the most expensive project (the ridiculous, bloated, awful corporate giveaway that is the Department of Defense), but they actually increased that budget by more than the all of the cuts of the 19 agency eliminated combined.
    6. The idea of a $1.4 billion giveaway to religious and private grammar/high schools is repulsive. This is more than NEA, NEH and LSC combined. F*ck Betsy DeVos with a rusty, herpes-infected, diseased Ruiz.

7. Again, I am glad that you have no problem with a Trump presidency. You are getting what you want, apparently.

12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I've been mean to Ruiz before but, really?

Joe in CO, SixKick, milicz and 1 other person repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are right, this is too good for her.
    Well, okay. How about this?

F*ck Betsy DeVos with a rusty, herpes-infected, diseased Steve Bannon.

Better?

Joe in CO, skinut, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's what collaborators do.

15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Better is relative, but yes.

xtomx repped this.
  16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Rep. Adam Schiff (Calif.), the panel’s top Democrat, also said there is no proof of a wiretap: “We are at the bottom of this: There is nothing at the bottom.”

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is "tapp"

18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  19. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And, of course, he blames the Democrats! :confused::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::confused:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lthcare-plan-bill-vote-pulled-obamacare-trump

“If [Democrats] got together with us, and got us a real healthcare bill, I’d be totally OK with that. The losers are Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, because they own Obamacare. They 100% own it,” he said.

He is calling the Ryan-Trump "plan" something other than a "real healthcare bill".

Pelosi should immediately (to use Trump's word about when he was going to repeal and replace) introduce and give to Trump, a single-payer, Medicare for All plan. Call John Conyers, he has one drafted already. It was H.R. 676. (Yes, I know the minority party has an almost impossible chance of having something introduced, much less passed).

Give that to Trump, which would be a "real healthcare plan" and see what he does with it. He argued for it years ago. He said during the campaign that he was for it. He said after the election/erection that his bill would "cover everybody."

Put up or shut up, bitch.

As much as I would like him to shut up and as likely as he is to be impeached and thrown out of office in disgrace, if he can ram through Medicare for All before he goes away, he can go down in history as replacing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) with "something terrific".

Joe in CO, seamuslush, skinut and 3 others repped this.
  21. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1897 Martininho, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    It would be a true "Homerism"*

*To succeed despite idiocy. See Groening, Matt.*

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!**

**Quote provided as additional compensation for crappy weather weekend.

22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  23. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Top Democrats Are Wrong: Trump Supporters Were More Motivated by Racism Than Economic Issues
    https://theintercept.com/2017/04/06...ore-motivated-by-racism-than-economic-issues/

xtomx repped this.
  24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    xtomx repped this.