NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, Donald dumbass, I have yet to read an actual legal scholar who is saying you can pardon yourself.

Here are 11 legal scholars and their views:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/her...ether-president-trump-can-pardon-himself.html

and a few more:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...t-that-he-can-pardon-himself-experts-weigh-in
    Kevin McCarthy's answer is awesome:
    The president is not saying he’s going to pardon himself. I don’t know why we’re walking through hypotheticals here in this process. The president has never said he’d pardon himself. I don’t know where the president would go forward pardoning himself.

I don’t think a president should pardon themselves.

2. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And, on a more practical note, the second a president pardons himself is the second he's impeached. Then, your ability to pardon yourself is gone. I'm pretty confident that Robert Mueller is more than smart enough to realize the charges he eventually files against Trump should be staggered so he won't be able to pardon himself of everything.

xtomx repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Would the Republicans do it? Would they impeach when 87% of Republicans approve of Trump's presidency?
    [​IMG]
    They have let Trump get away with everything so far, as long as he gives them young, conservative judges and cruelty in immigration.

Also, the focus on Trump keeps the prying eyes of the press off of the malfeasance of Congress.

Mueller is more than smart enough, but is Devin Nunes?

4. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Republican party is far less concerned with the opinion of Republicans than it is with the opinion of non-party, undecided 1/3 of US voters. They are the king-makers. Also, there is very little love for Trump himself from the Republican establishment. People like John McCain and Lindsey Graham actually worry about their legacies as part of Trump's Republican party and about the long term future of the party itself. They see what happened in California after Schwarzenegger and see it as a microcosm for the future political landscape in the US.

If Trump is found guilty of a crime or even indicted and pardons himself, they will turn on him in an instant to protect themselves.

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure about the Republican party caring about the 1/3 non-party voters.
    They certainly have not demonstrated that lately.

I agree with this, completely.

6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I should clarify that I meant caring about how they vote, not about their needs, goals, convictions, etc.

xtomx repped this.
  7. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True of every politician.

8. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

SixKick and xtomx repped this.
  9. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    not really

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If he can pardon himself, he can only do it of federal charges. The state (NY) can still go after him regardless of the federal action.

xtomx repped this.
  11. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From New York magazine, June 4, 2018:
    "Giuliani had come up with a far more concise, and vivid, explanation of the president’s powers. “In no case can he be subpoenaed or indicted,” Giuliani told HuffPost Sunday night. “I don’t know how you can indict while he’s in office. No matter what it is.”

Echoing Trump’s claim during the campaign that he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any voters, Giuliani explained that if there’s a criminal in the Oval Office, the law can’t touch him until the Legislative branch acts.

“If he shot James Comey, he’d be impeached the next day,” Giuliani said. “Impeach him, and then you can do whatever you want to do to him.”

Scholars are actually divided on whether the president can be indicted, but there is general agreement that the easiest way to deal with a felonious president is to impeach him first, and then indict. As George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley notes, for decades pondering this question has been a parlor game among constitutional-law professors, along with “presidential emoluments, self-pardons, and presidential obstruction.” Now the Trump administration,”has the dubious distinction of moving all of these questions from the realms of the hypothetical to the actual.”

Though Giuliani was speaking theoretically, it’s still stunning to hear the president’s lawyer musing about him murdering a specific political enemy and getting away with it — or at least, it should be."

Der Stich and xtomx repped this.
  12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

LIZZIE, Der Stich and loonixxx repped this.
  14. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Any day now Trump is going to say "A lot of people don't know that it was the British who set fire to the White House in the War of 1812..."

loonixxx repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Correction: He will say either, "Who knew the British set fire to the White House?"
    or
    "NOBODY knew that it was the British who set fire to the White House in the War of 1812..."

16. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I bet he doubles down and "reminds" us all that Canadians are British and therefore burned down the White House.

17. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know where else to put this, but RIP Anthony Bourdain. I will miss his smartassery.

LIZZIE, xtomx, loonixxx and 1 other person repped this.
  18. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still in shock about it, he's basically the only TV personality I loved. He had such a way with words that could inspire me tremendously.

skinut repped this.
  19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Didn't know where to put this, but it is a thing of beauty.

I spend a lot of my life — maybe even most of my life these days — in hotels. And it can be a grim and dispiriting feeling, waking up, at first unsure of where you are, what language they’re speaking outside. The room looks much the same as other rooms. TV. Coffee maker on the desk. Complimentary fruit basket rotting on the table. The familiar suitcase.

All too often, particularly in America, I’ll walk to the window and draw back the curtains, looking to remind myself where I might be-and it doesn’t help at all. The featureless, anonymous skyline that greets me is much the same as the previous city’s and the city before that.

This is not a problem in Chicago.

You wake up in Chicago, pull back the curtain and you KNOW where you are. You could be nowhere else. You are in a big, brash, muscular, broad shouldered motherf***in’ city. A metropolis, completely non-neurotic, ever-moving, big hearted but cold blooded machine with millions of moving parts — a beast that will, if disrespected or not taken seriously, roll over you without remorse.

It is, also, as I like to point out frequently, one of America’s last great NO BULLS**T zones. Pomposity, pretentiousness, putting on airs of any kind, douchery and lack of a sense of humor will not get you far in Chicago. It is a trait shared with Glasgow — another city I love with a similar working class ethos and history.

Anthony Bourdain

Der Stich, skinut, Martininho and 5 others repped this.
  20. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also said begrudgingly on No Reservations and a Reddit AMA that we have the best hot dogs hands down. No contest. I'm going to miss him. :(

Der Stich and bunge repped this.
  21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

Honestly I have no understanding of this. He seemed like an arrogant douche but obviously many people had respect so I stand aside wondering the appeal. Sad though that ANYONE even Trump would end it this way.

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Completely honest, not arrogant. He was absolutely brilliant with words and totally willing to call bullshit when it needed to be called.

skinut, xtomx and loonixxx repped this.
  23. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, can't rep you enough.

xtomx repped this.
  24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It’s clear he had a big impact on a lot of people so my ~60 minutes of viewing and judging is obviously ignorant of a lot of what he was. I was just mentioning it because I could tell by the outcry that I’m an outlier on this so it’s all bizarre.

GHjelm repped this.
  25. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to watch far more than 60 minutes of any of his shows.