NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot I forgive in comic book movies. Many plusses in Black Panther, but I think they missed an opportunity with the handling of the villain's conduct (did his brain suddenly turn off?) and fate.

By and large, Marvel has done a better job. DC is a hot mess, Wonder Woman the lone exception since the second Nolan Batman movie.

2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How did he not outlaw them if he and the Dems took away someone's right to stay here legally and get their card that they're entitled. They broke up families, dude.
    Now they get deported, have to wait 10 years, then apply, wait another 5-7 years.. . Shit, by the time they're legally allowed to return, they'll be grandparents.

3. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That term, more than any other, and the grotesque hypocrisy that follows when the "holier than thou" crowds and their band of merry soylents that follow in lockstep about...well, EVERYTHING, in the name of scoring points.

Until it happens to them. Let them opiod themselves to death. It'll deepen the gene pool.

lethargytartare, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  4. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gotta be a special kind of stupid to want to do opioids or Meth for the hell of it. I understand folks who were prescribed it not knowing what it was or how addictive it is, but otherwise... SMH.

xtomx repped this.
  5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Obviously everyone in Pennsylvania is racist.

GHjelm, SixKick and xtomx repped this.
  6. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an e-mail I received today from ActBlue.com, re: IL 3rd District.

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/newman-il?refcode=em180314

"The Democratic establishment is throwing their support behind an incumbent representative Daniel Lipinski who voted against the DREAM Act, against the Affordable Care Act, voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, a 20-week abortion ban, cosponsored the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, and opposes a $15 minimum wage. That's not progressive.

Marie Newman is fighting for real equality, Medicare for All, women's healthcare, Social Security, workers' rights, and the Dreamers, working families, small businesses, veterans, and retirees of IL-03."

lethargytartare, Der Stich and xtomx repped this.
  7. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senators actually staged a walkout at the Capitol in Springfield.

Martininho repped this.
  9. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    upload_2018-3-14_10-58-55.png

That's my congressional Rep. Luis Gutierrez, standing to the left of the student speaking out on guns this morning. There is no better representative for immigrants in this entire nation. He also has time to help us on guns and be effective on both (and more). No decent, intelligent, compassionate person thinks we can't do both (and more) at the same time or one issue should displace the others. LocoLocoLoco (emphasis on the loco) is trying to pit one group of Democratic constituents against another and is too blinded by hate (even going so far to adopt language used by hate groups) to understand that these issues cut across interest groups and strengthen the coalition.

I live in a heavily Latino neighborhood with my immigrant wife, who applied for political asylum to stay in this country because she would be jailed if she returned home. My neighborhood also sees occasional gun violence and gang activity, which affects everyone, immigrants included.

Loco is bad for everyone left of Center because he's so far left that he's popped up on the right. The left coalition does not need him or people like him. I'd rather lose an election by one vote than call him an ally.

Yesterday's election in PA-18 is a good sign that folks who left the Democratic coalition (ie labor) and voted for Trump or were too pure to vote for anyone but Bernie have learned their lesson. Even the worst Democrat is far better than the alternative. If we survive this current traitorous, racist, fascist, anti-immigrant and homophobic administration, maybe the lesson will stick.

The most ironic thing is that this "white supremaciist <sic> son of the Klan", who happens to have an immigrant wife and children of mixed race, will always be there for the LocoLocoLoco's of the world. Every damn election, every damn issue. We'll also be there for the poor, and women and LGBTQ's and every other group that is marginalized by the right. Because we always vote and we always vote Democrat. The party is definitely not perfect and new leaders are desperately needed. But compared to the alternative we're freaking Jesus.

Fück Trump, the Republican Party and anyone who does their bidding, intentionally or unintentionally, right or extreme left.

Now I say 'good day'.

bunge, lethargytartare, SixKick and 3 others repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well said!

He is my rep, too and I am happy to have him walking with the students.
    Have you decided on voting for his replacement, yet?

Der Stich repped this.
  11. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will vote for whomever Congressman Gutierrez endorses to succeed him.

xtomx repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He endorsed Jesus 'Chuy' Garcia the very day that he announced that he was not seeking reelection. It was, basically, a coronation and rather undemocratic.

It also deterred several viable candidates from entering the race.

There is also a "conspiracy theory" that Mayor Rahm Emmanual convinced Gutierrez to do it to take Garcia out of the mayor's race next year. Gutierrez asked, understandably, "I have heard that, but why would I do that? What is in it for me?" He went on to say that he felt Garcia was the best candidate.

All of that being said, if Garcia wins the primary, he will have my support.
    I am really undecided at this point.
    All three (Garcia, Sol Flores and Richard Gonzalez) have positives, but none really grab me.

13. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I used to have Bill Foster, the only scientist in Congress. Now I have Randy Hultgren, a self-professed Tea Partier.

14. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for letting me know...national map didn't show, and saw nothing at the hayseed roots level.

15. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2815 Der Stich, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    I voted for Chuy Garcia for mayor and will vote for him for congress. I'll look into Flores and Gonzalez too, I'm persuadable. I'm having trouble with the gubernatorial candidates as I can come up with reasons to vote for or against Pritzker, Kennedy or Bish. I don't like Pritzker's past so much; Kennedy is a little wishy washy and Bish is too willing to attack other democrats like Madigan. I'm long past pouting when I don't get my pony. First order - elect a democrat (anyone but Rauner), second order - elect a better democrat (it's time to upgrade on folks like Lipinski).

Edit: I kind of like Sol Flores and want to see how she handles herself in a debate with the others.

It's going to be difficult to go from a top tier Congresscritter to a back-bencher

xtomx repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Same for me for Chuy when he ran for mayor.
    I agree about the governor race but am leaning Senator Biss.
    Absolutely, that any will will be supported against Rauner.

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hultgren, ugh!

upload_2018-3-14_13-26-32.jpeg

The fact that he went to the same law school as me (although he graduated 8 years before me), makes me a little sad.

GHjelm repped this.
  18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Shots fired on Northwestern’s campus. Stay safe and contact your loved ones.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just heard about this.
    One of my third year law student "interns" lives in that building. He is at the office now, fortunately, and trying to contact his fiancee to tell her to keep away (with their 2 year old).

Scary times.

20. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news is they've found no shooter and have stood down.

Calling it a hoax.

21. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Haha.
    The more you whine and complain, the more we sell. Sales of the AR15 are through the roof!

Keep up the good work! :)

22. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dumb, ignorant amateur.
    Lamb is a liberal Republican. You want any Dem? You got one. He is anti-choice, anti-immigrant, and pro-gun. Well, actually, that last part is okay.
    I encourage everyone to run out and buy an AR15. Or scream, scream, scream even more. You'll encourage someone else to.

Sales have been through the roof! We've had to add a 3rd shift!

Keep up the good work! :)

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2823 xtomx, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    You sell AR15 rifles?

Please provide data regarding their sales going "through the roof!" as I do not think that is correct.

Once-Booming Gun Industry Now Recalibrating Under Trump

http://fortune.com/2017/04/01/trump-gun-industry/

Also,

[Kit] Cope also said the AR-15 is the most popular weapon at Spike's Tactical, though the manufacturer saw a "rapid decrease" in sales after the election of President Donald Trump."

Mr. Cope is "marketing director" at Spike's Tactical, an ACTUAL manufacturer of AR-15 style weapons.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/ar-...-manufacturers-say-after-school-shooting.html

The National Shooting Sports Foundation estimates that annual production of AR-15s and other firearms considered modern sporting rifles grew from 444,000 in 2010 to 1.3 million in 2015. It did not have estimates for 2016, though many believe that is when AR-15 production peaked.

A 2015 survey conducted by Northeastern University and Harvard University projected that there were roughly 265 million privately held guns in the United States, and half of that gun stock was owned by 3 percent of the U.S. population.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...llion-guns-since-1986/?utm_term=.363e17e13a9f

24. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    See, here you go. I MAKE them, and we went from 4 day weeks to 6-day weeks after Vegas.
    Spike's is one of our customers. Trust me, our sales and orders have skyrocketed. You're actually going to yell me about my job and how many hours I work? REALLY???

25. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most of the stuff we make for Spike's isn't even available for sale to the public.
    Do you know anything about them, dude?
    You can't buy a Crusader, Calico Jack, etc. Spikes makes actual automatic assault rifles, too.