Chicago Magic vs. Sockers FC Chicago Part IV

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by JMPN Dad, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIRETILIDIE

FIRETILIDIE Member

Jan 5, 2007
    nah ...not a sales pitch or anything, I was just letting him know that it doesnt have to be that expensive to go. I bought my season ticket thru Sect 8 and they threw in a shirt a couple of knit hats and I guess I'm getting scarves ( tough to beat!) :D

2. DutchMethod

DutchMethod Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for that suggestion and thanks for the note on "balance." I hope it's been clear through many posts.

3. chicagolandsoccer14

chicagolandsoccer14 New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    does anyone have any insight on the Sockers Top Talent Program..especially cost

4. AdoptedtheGame

AdoptedtheGame New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dear Chicagoland--- The Sockers 'Top Talent' program in the past was mostly a program for HS upperclassmen --few frosh/sophs. The purpose was to continue the boys/young men's training at a high level, with participation in the adult men's Metro league tables and training three or so days per week. Mainly, this program was for the top college-program bound kids and for the guys disaffected by their high school fall programs (which can be spotty in some cases). Last spring, many of then U-14's/soon-to-be U-15's asked DR if they could partake in the TT. Thus, was established a TT program with A) two-tier training schedule (older guys & younger guys) three days a week and B) a three-tier competition schedule, with DA guys playing in the Metro League, a second pool of strong sophs/older DP players playing various friendlies, and a third pool of freshman and sophs. There were some intrasquad srimmage games, but only a couple of tournaments for the younger guys--thus it is not for kids/parents looking for lots of games. But the young group thought that training with the older fells and, more importantly, training under the guidance of DR was the reward-a real good experiance for my son. As far as cost---$400 for the fall TT program, then the same fees as if it were a whole season in the SFC. I would expect that most of the boys who participated last fall will re-up (unless they leave SFC for other reasons). Maybe at an older age my guy may choose to play HS, but that depends on how he feels he develops.

5. J-Rod

J-Rod New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks adoptthegame for the info. I was curious also. I would have thought the cost would be at least twice what you mention. It seemed like those guys were practicing all the time, 4 days a week plus an optional practice day, plus goalkeeper practice. One reason I was curious is I recall a year and a half ago, the "friendlies" included a couple with the US youth national teams.

It seems like it would be really nice to have access to that type of program especially if you did not have access to a top-flight high school program.

6. AdoptedtheGame

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    J-Rod-- Come to think of it, maybe they did practice 4 days per week (not the 3 I said in my post). Still, I think the boys seemed to enjoy it all. DR was diciplined, but always had a real positive message for the boys after every practice or game. Don't think of these comments as drinking the SFC koolade---there is one coach....never mind. But there are lots of positives; you'll note a faily high retention rate among SFC players through the years. I'm sure some knowledgeble folks out there will be able to show me exceptions to my comments--- but my son has learned alot from sticking through the thick and thin's of this one club---and much of it has to do with things other than soccer skills....

7. bcboy

bcboy Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I don't understand the benefits of the Top Talent program. It's hard for me to believe that a talented player's skills are going to erode so severely in a 2 month high school season that they will be forever damaged. I see alot of excellent Fire Academy and Magic Academy players who played high school this past fall and they are doing just fine (even a few Sockers players from Lake Zurich who elected to play high school). It seems to me that Top Talent is just a means to increase the revenue stream at the Sockers. Ten months a year of high level club or Academy soccer is very demanding on kids. I think the ability to play for your high school for two months with your friends is fun for many kids, even top level players. All of the talk about high school ruining kids is nonsense. Top Talent doesn't make kids better players, it increases Net Income for the Sockers.

8. jettech17

jettech17 New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Club:
    AJ Auxerre
    My son plays DA and high school and likes It. It's nice to make all state and get your picture in the gym foyer.
    I thught there would be more hacks in hs and more chance for injury but he said just the opposite. (more hacks in DA)

9. AdoptedtheGame

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dear bcboy--- In my comments from two posts ago, I was asked to explain a little of how the Top Talent worked at SFC, and that's what I did. I am not trying to sell anybody on it---not especially those with a skeptical eye toward the SFC. At the frosh stage for some, the prospect of a high school program like the one facing my son was not inviting, especially since my older son had a terrible experiance there. My younger guy, and most of his buds, felt they really benifitted from the training and experience versus what they thereforsaw available at their high schools. Note, also, that I mentioned in my post that the parents and kids approached DR at SFC to add and incorporate the the youngers into the fall TT there---not the other way around. NO doubt, the club gets more revenues, but that was not on our minds---just better training. I'm not going to get into any disagreement about the TT program---I was just answering a request for info on it.

10. so1mio

so1mio Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bubble kids feel that they have to play tt to be a full timer in da. if ur good and they need you to win games, then u feel more free to play hs soccer. there are some tenured players who are doing only tt but most will eventually play hs ball especially their senior year. if you go to crap hs, maybe tt is for you, but really, hs soc is not that bad.

11. Fire in the Hole

Fire in the Hole New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    As i hear it, more and more clubs around the country are introducing this type of program. Locally, Magic and Fire this fall potentially. Did Magic run it last fall already?

This kind of program isn't for everyone. Playing HS has its merits of course. No one is bashing that. I have been told the cost for TT is $400 for 3 months of 4xweek training. That comes to $8.33 per training. ("wow...that's a low price!!!)

I have received very good feedback from those who have participated. I hope Fire and Magic make it available as well.

12. so1mio

so1mio Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    magic did not have official tt like program last fall but those in the academy or were trying out were strongly urged to participate in fall training and scrimmages with other hispanic league teams. i think for some kids it helped them make the team since it showed their loyalty.

13. Soccerisnotlife

Aug 12, 2008
    It's a shame that highschool kids need to choose between their loyalties to their school and club/academy. It's too bad that IHSA rules can't allow the kids to do both like in other states. It puts our kids at a disadvantage, IMHO, especially when attending late fall and winter tournaments and showcases.

14. Belgian White

Belgian White New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    For my son it was an easy choice. He wanted to do TT and he absolutely enjoyed it.

I don't know how you could do both in the same season. TT is pretty intense and HS team practice almost every day when they don't have games.

15. Morpman

Morpman New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    Kalamazoo Outrage
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It would be way too much to do both. The Washington Post had an article about soccer in DC area where kids can do both, and the burnout level was incredible.

16. Dalglish

Dalglish Member

Sep 26, 2005
    As I understand it, TT was more than 3 months last year for the HS kids. They played in a summer showcase and trained before those games as well. $400 bucks was a bargain. For the amount of time and effort involved it can't be much of a money maker for the Sockers.

Our HS optional summer camp costs $225. The fall season is another fee. $400 for TT is reasonable by comparison.

At our HS, summer camp starts in mid June. Training 2x week, league games 2x week plus a summer tourney or two. A couple weeks off then the regular HS season kicks off with 2 a days, an opening weekend tourney and then 20+ games. The fall season goes until late Oct. That is more like a 5 month commitment and not 3. Maybe as many as 40 games. One could argue that 5 months of lousy soccer with a 1 to 1 game to training ratio does impact a player.

Some High Schools do not offer HS soccer. Some HS programs are lousy. Sure there are some good HS coaches and some good teams. Sure some kids enjoy the social aspect. However, I see why some find the TT program a better choice.

17. Belgian White

Belgian White New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Good post Dalglish

18. DutchMethod

DutchMethod Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Seems like a decent move as a lot of kids who might be able to play varsity at their HS might not get the chance being underclassmen and training with their respective clubs is a good way to continue training. A lot of high schools on the other hand are pretty plugged into the kids in their community, although not always.

19. On Fire

On Fire New Member

May 6, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With about 6 games left in the regular season, Fire DA u16 has 9 players below the 25% start requirement, Magic has 4, and Sockers has 3. I know injury plays into this rule but expect some new starters for Fire for the remaining games.

20. redskyisfalling

redskyisfalling New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    It was predicted the MLS would have their own academy. Well now there is no more waiting.

GET YOUR TICKETS!!!

Major League Soccer clubs launched academy programs to foster the development of youth players. Now the league has started an academy ... for ticket salesmen.

As the first ticket sales academy owned and operated by a U.S. pro league in the United States, the MLS National Sales Center will recruit and train ticket sales representatives and feature a 45-day curriculum consisting of classroom instruction and hands-on field work to prepare individuals for ticket sales positions with MLS clubs.

Students will develop ticket sales strategies and conduct sales campaigns on behalf of MLS clubs.

21. jettech17

jettech17 New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Club:
    AJ Auxerre

7. Minimum Start Requirement: All Academy Players, including goalies, are required to
    start in at least 30% of their team’s Academy games during the season. The Academy Staff will review
    the percentage of player starts for each team throughout the Academy League Season. A team’s
    failure to comply with this requirement may result in a fine from the Academy Office and the​
    potential expulsion of a club from the Academy Program.

So maybe there may be even more normal starters comming of the bench than you first thought or maybe they dont care.:D

22. Crystal Palace 90

Crystal Palace 90 New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    "Are there any rules specific to rosters?
    Academy clubs are required to maintain a minimum of 36 full-time players on their club player pool. There is no limit on the number of players that can be rostered as long as each player starts a minimum of 25% of the clubs matches."

From the USSF web site FAQ. I think you may have the old rules. So long as they have 36 FT players meeting the 25% rule, I think they can change the players with inadequate starts to DP status. There may still be a deadline for that though.

23. jettech17

jettech17 New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Club:
    AJ Auxerre

You are probly right they don't update things too often on there website.That could be a old rule
    I thought I heard the coach talk about a 30% rule.

24. Dalglish

Dalglish Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I think the 36 FT player number you quote is the total between U16 and U18 combined. So that is 18 min FT per team. I believe the 25% start rule is correct. So 18 FT kids per team and each kid must start 25% of games.

However, if a kid is added to the FT roster after the season has already begun I think the team is only required to start him 25% of the remaining games. It seems that injuries and suspensions are ways around the start rule.

Some Acads took kids who were originally listed as FT and dropped them completely before that Apr 1st cutoff. Some clubs sign kids and keep them for the season and others tell kids that they can be cut at any time.

After April 1st I don't think you can drop a FT kid unless he quits.

It is important for a player to get a very good idea of the philosophy of each DAP team and coach before joining. Pretty tough to practice and play games in Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar for an Acad team as a FT Acad kid only to then be booted down to the regular club team for the rest of the season.

Furthermore, what good is it to get a FT Acad spot if you only play the 1st part of the 1st half of 6 or 7 games in a full season? This might satisfy the letter of the min start rule but is not a situation that is very good for most players.

I've noticed the DAP website is not 100% accurate. I've watched a kid play almost an entire game but still don't see that reflected on the website.

All that said, I am curious to see if kids get their 25% starts or maybe suddenly get injured this week.

25. tiptop

tiptop New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Todd didnt realize you were still around in soccer thought you were now a janitor in are you still involved in soccer or sports?