Chicago Magic vs. Sockers FC Chicago [Part 5]

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Twenty26Six, May 30, 2010.

1. DutchMethod

DutchMethod Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Funny how that happens, kids get older, parents become less interested. In the end, this thread, where it once had some meaning, is today meaningless. The USSF granted some years ago three franchises in Chicago to the Fire, Magic and Sockers. That was the beginning of the end of any need for battling among those three clubs. Then the USSF granted a strengthened position to the three franchises by adding U14 to the mix. Now the USSF has announced they will be adding U12 to that group in an effort to replicate European soccer or ROTW soccer development where kids come in young, train, develop. The USSF also announced there would be significant funds added to scholarship to help out with the pay to play model.

In the end, there will be three franchises serving some 8 million people reaching all the way down to fifth graders. Who wins a game or who loses one really doesn't matter, and who cares? As long as the USSF thinks each of the three are doing their development job - and what you or I think is meaningless - it's just the USSF. And all three owners will do an able job of development and will keep their franchises. Fire takes over Lemont, or Force or whomever, and Sockers opens in Wisconsin, or Magic goes wherever, who cares? Three franchises, that's it. All good players will migrate to those three. IMHO the USSF is correct in trying to concentrate development among 80 clubs in the USA, it's the only way to try and replicate a system of development when there are only 30 MLS teams and a handful of other pro-teams. Klinsmann has a plan, and slowly but surely, it will work.

In summary, within a population of 8 million people, reaching down as far as 11 year old kids, who wins or loses a game is completely irrelevant. There is more than enough talent to go around, a lot of slow but sure efforts at development. And three franchises, that's it in Chicago. :)

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #1052 VolklP19, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    I think Sockers, Wisconsin was a one and done - maybe a 2 and done.

Naperville is growing at a decent rate, Crystal Lake is slowly growing but needs more. Not sure what Sockers plans on doing to grow which is too bad because they develop more players then the other 2 clubs IMO.

I'd like to see the club start discussions with Team Chicago and/or Galaxy/NSA... Those would be great additions if they could happen.

There is really nothing to integrate with in the NW burbs - no clubs with any good deal of talent so to speak.

The Magic model is hollow as far as I am concerned - it's more of bringing in specialized players to win games - get high ranks on GotSoccer so other kids and parents want to come and try out.

Fire is just buying everything - they are creating a beast!

It is not a bad model but one in which most parents and players do not even know about.

Marketing the message through the 3 clubs is important but probably impossible. Not sure if USSF would even take on such a role? I could see the best of the rest up in arms.

So what you have is a very SLOW process - basically word of mouth from parent to parent.

3. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    I agree with you with all my heart and soul. I at first thought the USSF was the correct way to go. The problem like most things good things turn out to be not as good as you first thought. What the USSF has done is create a bunch of really good midfielders that can pass the ball around really well or just OK. What it has not done is allowed individuals to create. As you can see by the latest College Cup games PK wins out creative play does not. What needs to happen is that (and I cannot believe I am saying this) let the kids go back and play High School and have fun and learn how to create and score some goals.

SheHateMe repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Heard Sockers have picked up another Magic coach! That's 3 in less than 6 months + TB.

Magic changing staff and Sockers adding staff on a monthly basis... Three other coaches from the program have been added - 2 at the younger ranks and one that trains ECNL.

5. Gunner56

Gunner56 New Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Does anyone know if there was a new partnership this year between Raiders and the Chicago Fire in Illinois? It looks like what used to be the Chicago Fire "Youth Soccer Club" teams are now re-branded as Chicago Fire Raiders Elite. Looks like the regular "Raiders" teams remain.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I believe so - maybe 8 months ago?

I saw a McHenry team playing at LBFH with a "PSG" after it - Magic moving out to the NW burbs again?

7. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The exodus at Magic continues...

2 more coaches have left.

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Who left

9. BatigoL5

BatigoL5 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the girls side.

10. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Where did they go?

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    How about a crossword puzzle of coaches who have left Magic?

- TB (Now with Sockers)
    - NP (Back home in Kentucky)
    - TK (Running Step Ahead)
    - JN (Now with Sockers)
    - KW... Where did he end up???
    - JD (Now with Sockers)
    - SG... Off doing his own thing
    - RG... Off doing his own thing

Makes me wonder when TY will be added to that list (on his own accord).

12. so1mio

so1mio Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    They do have a good track record of former players competing in Europe.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Changes at Sockers?

Sockers has accepted the opportunity to be audited by US Soccer and Double Pass (Belguim Company responsible for German soccer overhaul). This audit puts Sockers in a position to be one of the first US youth clubs to be in compliance with the new guidelines. We embrace it and want to be part of the future.

From a community standpoint these changes can impact the standard of players and teams in our area. There are those at surrounding clubs that are content with the current state of soccer and will resist any change. Quite frankly it's much easier to resist than make difficult changes to training curriculum/calendars, coaches education, and talent promotion. Our community has always had large amounts of youth soccer players but the demands to get better technically, physically, or tactically has not taken hold in area clubs. We hope to get more players involved in the new process.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/…/u-s-soccer-youth-deve…/

http://www.soccerwire.com/…/u-s-soccer-planning-sweeping-o…/

http://www.socceramerica.com/…/us-soccer-hires-belgian-cons…

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Three new coaches for Sockers on the field - none have been let go so I am guessing the numbers are moving up?

May could be interesting for try outs - heard a good deal of people out my way have been asking about Palatine/Schaumburg.

16. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    According to NISL/IWSL records, Sockers Naperville/Wheaton looks like they went from 2 total teams at U10 and below last year to 7...building a future down there?

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    SK is a solid coach. They grabbed RC from the Crystal Lake end and he has done well.

Ducci is down there as well now.

And of course Neil is one of the best keeper coaches in the region.

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Heard that Frankfort is done - not enough kids are staying on board. That's a real shame as we started while Frankfort was the hub and even played with pooled teams from down that way. I recall all the debating as the power shifted from Frankfort to HP with the owners making preferences for his own personal gain.

So many solid coaches left or were showed the door.

In the end the vision is (IMO) killing this club. It's always been about winning - always been about the boys and the communication has been (meh) at best.

19. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    A friend of mine has his daughter in the Magic SW program, they got real solid team at U12girls this year. But he says it's also a complete disaster and they'll be leaving along with the majority of the team. Says one coach got let go mid-season, one left to take DOC at Grove United, and another left to take a role at Oswego Panthers. Granted, I admit this is all hearsay, but looking at Magic and Grove websites it looks fairly accurate.

Will there even be a program on the south side of town anymore? And if so, who'd want to be a part of that revolving door of staff and what sounds like generally poor programming?? It's a shame that such a well-known and highly-regarded clubs has taken such a nosedive...I miss the old Matko/Hannan days...

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I wonder about JH. I've spoke with him a few times - never brought up the old days because he's one of those always looking forward guys.

Super nice though - wish a bigger club would pick him up and utilize him. DG simply does not seem to be growing (expanding) enough and frankly I am not sure how much input he actually has.

I'd have no problem with my kid training for him however!

21. us#1by2006

us#1by2006 Member

Jun 21, 2002
    I don't know JH well, but he seems happy when I see him at DG.

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Someone mentioned Sockers growing in Naperville/Wheaton. They (Sockers) are hiring more coaches down there to address this - I'm being told now that even with new coaches on board that they still have too many teams to contend with.

Not sure where the kids are coming from?

23. flyman

flyman New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Looks like the owners have done it. Shut down the South side and made it a North side club $$$$$. Lots of people remember playing for the pride and the club. That was all gone after TB and NP were let go for not being yes men. Two real coaches who kids respected and wanted to play for. Magic has become a revolving door for agreeing coaches. Only a matter of time before their top coaches PB and FM leave for a better home. Soccers? Buyers beware.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Heard this was coming.

Magic has lost their way completely. It's more about building teams with players across the country - rather than developing.

No vision - feel bad a few coaches who will no doubt find a better home - some already have.

I would not be surprised if the next 2 years saw a significant decrease in players in HP. I know that's already happened on the girls side.

Shame.