Chicago Fire Offer Bastian Schweinsteiger a 16.5 Million Dollar Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Ahan Jain, Nov 24, 2016.

?

Was the Money Reasonable

Poll closed Dec 24, 2016.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Nelson and Andrew were drunk again...

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. Way too much

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #451 Pennsylvania Dave, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Again, this club is better with B.S. than without him and too many holding mids is a good problem to have especially with Polster and Goosens down at the moment. Does this mean the club is going to be for sale soon? I don't know (fingers crossed) but even if the German overlord doesn't hack it in MLS I am on the side of "well at least we signed someone I have heard of before as a DP" so what it means to me is progress and I don't think B.S. is going to flop. He may be on the back side of his career but the rumors I heard were he looked quite good training with Man Utd U-23s and Mourniho is a stubborn manager so he may have just frozen B.S. out no matter how fit he was? I hope it pans out and will be a factor to attract some younger "Atlanta-esque" type of signings. We have all been bitching for literally years about getting this type of signing and here it is! I am NOT going to bitch and I don't even shill for the front office! I would like to add B.S. just married Ana Ivanvic and he HAS to stay fit to keep that trophy wife interested so I don't think he's going to phone it in quite yet!

August 2016 Article (comments section is interesting):
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-united-transfer-news-schweinsteiger-11689554

November 2016 article:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-a-half-early-in-a-bid-to-force-january-move/

Phil J M, thetomg, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Perfect!

Joe in CO and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Also, 2014 was an eternity ago for a ~30 yr old soccer player. He may still be fit now, but his fitness 3 years ago isnt proof of anything

seamuslush, Fussballer and thetomg repped this.
  4. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes definitely no room to be sentimental in the beautiful game. Trophies won yesterday don't get you trophies today but his last game played he had a goal and an assist so that is pretty recent.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can leave in November.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Dallas getting better attendance now, I know they were in a similar situation than the Fire on being one of the older teams with soso attendance, perhaps winning has helped them in that department.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This guy was my 47 yr old son's favorite player. I suppose he will look for excuses to go watch him play in Chicago. I remember him being very good heading the ball. If I remember right he headed ever chance he got to score even low balls grass cutters. I hope the Chicago kids don't try to copy his finishes. As you all know heading is not allowed for kids. Not even a high bounced to bring the ball under control to a players foot. I guess you get brain damage now to get a high bounce under control. Do they do that with kids in Germany?

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Plus NT qualifiers. Plus friendlies. Plus tournaments.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I watched him play for Manchester United a couple times he was summoned off the bench this year.

Almost every pass was on target. And he provided a jolt of energy from the midfield. His first game after getting out of Jose's doghouse he almost scored.

I have not doubt he will be a great addition to the team. Just hope some MLS-caliber defender doesn't end his career.

10. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the motivation to put down the jar of peanut butter.

11. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

He looks a little better in his more recent games. I think (hope) that his time away from the first team really allowed him to get healthy and in shape. He's definitely still not thin though.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This.

Well, guess it is a good thing that Harrington is on the Fire, then.
    Oh, wait, you said "MLS-caliber" defender, so Harrington's out, then.
    Of course, Schweinsteiger does have to practice against the Fire defense.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #464 xtomx, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

Wow.Just.Wow!

That is one of the most disturbing pictures I have ever seen.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more disturbing that fat german guy humping stuffed raccoon (and that is saying something).

Those Shar-Pei appear to be real and that one is in, well, a compromising position.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  15. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  16. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I got a six pack;)

[​IMG]

Joe in CO, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Re-writing literary history:

Chicago

BY CARL SANDBURG
    Pig ********er for the World,
    Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
    Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
    Stormy, husky, brawling,
    City of the Big Shoulders:
    They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I have seen your painted women under the gas lamps luring the farm boys.
    And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to kill again.
    And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the faces of women and children I have seen the marks of wanton hunger.
    And having answered so I turn once more to those who sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer and say to them:
    Come and show me another city with lifted head singing so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
    Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the little soft cities;
    Fierce as a dog with tongue lapping for action, cunning as a savage pitted against the wilderness,
    Bareheaded,
    Shoveling,
    Wrecking,
    Planning,
    Building, breaking, rebuilding,
    Under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with white teeth,
    Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs,
    Laughing even as an ignorant fighter laughs who has never lost a battle,
    Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse, and under his ribs the heart of the people,
    Laughing!
    Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Pig ********er, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    His old fella Poldi scored the winner in the farewell game against England

Gilma1990, Joe in CO and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  19. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smacked it. No chance for any 'keeper.

Joe in CO repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lukasz Podolski should have been the Fire's No. 1 target this winter.
    Unfortunately, Podolski has signed with Vissel Kobe in Japan, where he is heading after the Turkish season ends. He has signed for a team that has finished in the top-10 twice (and has been relegated twice) since 1997.

Joe in CO and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  21. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Podolski made more sense to sign than BS.

Fussballer repped this.
  22. rogerinIL3

rogerinIL3 Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, if BS has been relegated to few game appearances with MU, then maybe he'll be relatively fresh for the MLS season. Injuries may be a concern because of the physical nature of MLS defender's tackling.

The question is whether there are any chronic injury concerns. Perhaps being forced to just train in Manchester has allowed time for such potential concerns to properly heal and disappear. Worst case would be like Arne Friedrich where the seriousness of the chronic conditions forced an end to his career.

MLS is still not such a fast paced league that older players will be pushed to the point of breakdown or suffer injuries because of slowed reactions. It's less likely that an older player slowing up a tad will find he's unable to compete. As proof, there are and have been numerous aging stars who are extending their careers in MLS.

Best case in my mind is maybe BS becomes a bit Blancoesque. That is, a skillful player, maybe not the fastest but able to use those skills and vision to make a difference. If something like that happens, and life in Chicago is reasonably mellow, then maybe BS will sticks around for a few years as an important part of the team as his career winds down.

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm excited. That's my team in Japan!

xtomx repped this.
  24. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man is built like a Roman God he'll be fine. In fact I vote we out up a marble statue of him at Toyota Park parking lot. In fact pave the ********ing parking lot to show respect to a god

Gilma1990, Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.