Pre-match: Chicago Fire - DC United 16 Sept 2016

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DangSkippy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know...I'm not saying Accam's goal SHOULD have been saved, but Hamid got a lot of it and it still got under him. It's tough to see because Hamid out of form is better than 3/4 of the keepers in this league, but I think an in-form Hamid keeps that one out.

sitruc, 6 ft. Leprechaun and Winoman repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it went a few feet wide of his dive, right near the post. Will have to rewatch that goal.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United isn't playoff caliber to me. I was on the fence, but tonight clinched it. Pretty feeble performance, and there us no reason that should be the case. The team actually looked better a month ago. Why have they gone backwards? So frustrating.
    United is all talk and no action. 'We need to win, turn it around, blah, blah, blah'. Shut up and do it on the field.

NicktheGreek, Winoman and nick repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you're actually serious, Dallas signed Ruiz earlier this week.

5. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    1 pt.

Next week is the game of the year for DC United, hopefully they show up!

jason1551 and Winoman repped this.
  6. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid seems to be in a funk. He's not playing well. Both goals were very much saveable.

sitruc, DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The first one, I'm not sure. Mishu decided to allow Cocis an unmarked header on a really good corner. The second one, I agree, 25 yards out, in the center of the field, low, but not really near the corner. I still think Hamid is carrying some mystery injury that will require rest/surgery in the offseason.

8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ACosta was not sharp, but Chicago was quick to double-team him...quicker than most other teams have been. And where Acosta has had to come back to receive the ball hasn't been all that great in terms of allowing him enough support in space to quickly offload. Credit to Chicago for being high pressure on him, and bad form for our guys not stepping up to that level of pressure. Neagle and NDL were the two best options he had at any given time, and those were late game subs....so. Not sure what was up with Sam...I thought he had good runs last week, but they weren't there this week.

Also, for god's sake, why do we have such a problem making far post runs? So many times with a wide player looking to cross, we had two attackers making the near post run and the remainder hanging out outside the box.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Ben needs to rethink his player rotations right now. At this point De Leon is being moved all over the pitch with very little logic ... For such a confused player you really need to simplify things for him so he can learn how to play a position correctly. Last week during the Red Bull match broadcast they were talking about how De Leon never looked ready to play centrally. Too much movement and traffic for a player with poor decision making skills. He's really only a wide player where the movement is more straightforward up and down the flank. Hopefully that's the last we see of Mishu and De Leon can become sort of a backup hybrid right back/right wing player.

I'm also getting frustrated how we seem to burn a defensive midfield substitution in so many games. Buscher has 14 sub appearances. Vincent has 8. Jeffrey has 6. De Leon has 5. Sarvas has 1. That's an average of one sub per game that doesn't really do anything except reshuffle the midfield without changing anything in attack. This is why we run out of subs and players like Saborio and Igboananike are rotting on the bench. Say what you will about those two players but they at least can bring an element of danger in the box later in games.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  10. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I would argue that Buescher is a more "attacking" option, sometimes he replaces Acosta, or like yesterday is added into the mix. The others, however, are interchangeable D-mids.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Not arguing with you, but Vincent is the most "attacking" option, his low cannon shot is deadly. Yesterday the other team was aware of that so he put it top-shelf. While I don't think he is an incredible player, he is certainly above average on DC United (and at this point I rather see him instead of all the other options). Even the foul he committed was a hard man's foul and he just shrugged it off, I like that! Hopefully the goal will increase his confidence and lead to more!

Winoman repped this.
  12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but of course while a win is pretty much necessary, it's not enough to make the playoffs. They'll still need to create some space in the next 3 games OR get some/all points in Orlando.

Oveki8 repped this.
  13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal was 95-97% Mishu. 3-5% Hamid only because he could have been one step forward and maybe have gotten lucky and it hit his hand and not gone in.
    Second goal, probably was saveable, but far from easy. We are used to him sometimes getting those. Still, Birnbaum was clearly the one at fault on that goal.

Freestyle2000 repped this.
  14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One guy who hasn't been mentioned much is Mullins. Is the guy who played in this game, the previous Fire game, or somewhere in between. We really need him to at least be in between. He missed some chances last night (as did other guys too of course).
    Our finishing overall just has continued to be not that good. Good enough to get us right near the playoffs.

Oveki8 and DCUSA repped this.
  15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Once again coming back at the end to snatch disappointment from the jaws of defeat.

I agree our finishing hasn't been great, but three road games in a row scoring 2 goals is a big improvement...bad time for our defense to collapse, though, so we only get 2 points from those 3 games.

NDL should just start at right back. Put the best 11 on the field. If you use a sub on a defender, that's one less option to bring in an attacker. I also think Neagle (our leading scorer) should start over Sam, based on recent performances.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  16. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    THIS!

Hopefully Ben sees this!

Also Nyarko has been underwhelming lately, maybe some rest will help him.

17. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that it wasn't easy, but he didn't do himself any favors with his positioning.

18. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His positioning was off on the first one. He should've saved the second. That was an extremely soft goal. Birnbaum did nothing to help though.

Winoman repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's never the wrong place for ******** the Galaxy.

Oveki8, Winoman and Untroubled by Reason repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Confused players moving all over the pitch with little if any logic is the "magic" that makes Benny Ball everything that no other team can imitate. This team learns tactics by watching film of the squirrels in the park during peak acorn season

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  21. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I scream when no one crashes the box. When we do they usually run to the far post and are double teamed or two of our guys run to the same area leaving our guy on the touch line waiting for a defender to get close enough to boot the ball off his leg and earn a quarter since nothing promising developed. They are scoring goals off these set plays, but I just wish we could score more from the run of play .

22. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, but the squirrels actually do have a plan!

sitruc and Boloni86 repped this.
  23. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Vincent actually is good at those late runs from midfield. He just missed on such a shot against Chicago and his long range shot is better than Jeffrey's (which also is above average). If Vincent keeps playing and the team integrates his movement into the attack, those long range shots likely will result in goals or lead to goals by opening up the defense to cover him.

Oveki8 repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    FYP

25. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    ...some time before the new stadium opens...