Pre-match: Chicago Fire - DC United 16 Sept 2016

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DangSkippy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What: A soccer match, possibly by a loose definition.
    When: Friday, 16 September, 8:00 p.m.
    Where: Toyota Park, somewhere near Chicago.
    Why: Because DC United wants to give you hope before breaking your heart.
    :EDIT:Televised: UniMas

Ah, Chicago. Chi-Town. The Windy City. The, uh, Big Ch. Home of the . . . Willis Tower, now. . . I guess.

Well, I know that I'm supposed to accept draws on the road, but I feel like this needs to be a win because DC needs the points. If Chicago could play with ten men again, that would be great.

I won't be watching as I'll be in Shenandoah this weekend, voluntarily living like a dog and hoping not to be a pre-hibernation snack for a bear. Considering that these are two teams below the playoff line in the East, you may envy me before the night is over.

Here's a combination cute baby animal and agent of my gruesome demise (I've spared you "grisly" puns. Be grateful):

[​IMG]

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    We're catching them at the wrong time. I've watched their last couple matches in condensed form on MLS Live, and they are not the incompetent team they were a couple months ago. Sean Johnson threw away their last game against Toronto or they'd have had a draw (also, they only really came to life when Accam came in). But Solignac is good, Accam you know, De Leeuw is not bad, and surprisingly Arturo Alvarez can still play in this league. (Actually, he's only 31, feels like he's been around forever.)

Theopisa repped this.
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    This is not a Draw-On-The-Road game. This is a game against a lower team and is a must win. We can drop a few points against Toronto, etc. But not this game. If we want to overtake Orlando, we have to win games like this.

Oveki8, dadman, fairfax4dc and 3 others repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I ********ing hate UniMas games, I'd rather listen to Shepp Messing or that Feldman guy in NE than being frustrated that the SAP on Univision doesn't work.

It sucks that we've been looking forward to playing Chicago twice late in the season for a long time, then they magically get into pretty good form before we do, typical MLS conspiring against us :)
    We got pretty fortunate last time that one of their players wanted a long break and got himself red-carded. Doubt we'll be so lucky this time.
    But we do have a tanned, rested, and ready Luciano Acosta at our disposal, which is nice.

I can't see the baby animal, which I assume to be a bear - I hope that's not a bad sign :cool:

DCU - 3
    Fahr - 2

tap-in in the 83rd to seemingly seal the deal at 3-1, then a panic inspiring final 13 minutes (yes, I can math)

Eismahn, Oveki8, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  5. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bear.jpg

Sorry, I used the weblink rather than posting it directly.

Oveki8 and fatbastard repped this.
  6. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this last time and it worked out for DC in the end.

So, I would adjust my expectations, but as I have noted an inverse relationship between my predictions of DC United games and their outcomes, which makes sense as I am the center of the universe and my opinions are Very Important, though not always correct, I will agree with you and this could be a "trap" game as it is also on short rest.

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** the Cubs and the Bears.

Oveki8 and UnitedBorn repped this.
  8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    ******** Mike Ditka

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** the Blackhawks.....

Oveki8 and sitruc repped this.
  10. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** CM Punk

Oveki8 repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    ******** Ozzie Guillen. ******** Wax Trax Records. ******** their alleged pizza. ******** Michigan Avenue. ******** Zach Thornton. ******** the University of Chicago's Department Of Economics. ******** Superdawgs. ******** Oak Park. ******** Cicero even more. ******** their dumb accents which make me want to die or kill. ******** the Chicago Air & Water Show. ******** the El. ******** the Loop. ******** O'Hare. ******** Rainbow Cone. ******** their segregated-ass city. ******** their 10.5 months of winter. ******** the Shedd Aquarium. ******** Playboy. ******** the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. ******** Oprah Winfrey.

In sum, ******** Chicago.

The only good thing about Chicago is WZRD, the best radio station in the world.

mosca and dadman repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me at Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

stangspritzring, Oveki8, JRHokie and 3 others repped this.
  14. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  15. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    We don't win this and its off-season baby. This is a must win game, especially after choking at NYCFC.

This team all season has had moments. They're not a complete team and have many areas in need of an upgrade, but Chicago is a team we should beat even on the road. We do, and I believe we'll scrape into the playoffs.

Teams that really, truly want it find ways to win games like this. No, I don't mean want it like more bite, run till you die, Olsenistic effort in all things regardless kind of want it. I mean the kind of want it that says that they are focused from minute 0, that they never let up their concentration, that they play together and smart, that they score and hold the lead, that they close out the game, that anyone and everyone connected with the club -- including the coaches -- have an "on" day, with creativity and full ********ing concentration before, during and until the last whistle.

I recognize this may be a big ask for this team, but we've seen them play this way -- just almost never for a full game. NOW WOULD BE A DAMNED GOOD TIME TO START.

fatbastard, Oveki8, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Take a cannister of that pepper based bear spray with you. Many of the Bears have developed a taste for spicier campers

17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If Chicago sucks that bad why isn't it the headwater of the Anacostia?

18. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    No the only good thing about Chicago is Naked Raygun, hey, but we got Acosta, so F**K! Shitcago!

3 points baby!

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I saw them in someone's backyard once.

Winoman and Oveki8 repped this.
  20. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    They were awesome somewhere close to George Washington University.

ps- Meese is a Pig! And so is tRump!

Winoman repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think Chicago is going to be extra pumped up after their embarrassing trip to RFK. DC probably only wins 5-2 this time.

xtomx, song219, fatbastard and 1 other person repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed, and I am from Chicago!
    (Superdawg is good, Wax Trax was great, not sure why you single out Zach Thornton, as for the rest-well, you're probably right)

(I am expecting a major ********** xtomx in my future)

Sorry, I didn't mean to troll, but my reason for commenting is that I noticed on the injury report that Chris Rolfe is out with another concussion.
    Seriously, that is just awful.
    He was much beloved in Chicago, but often out with concussions.
    I hope he does not have serious issues in the future.

Carry on with the Chicago hate.
    We can take it (and, with Mr. Hauptman owning the Fire, we f'n deserve it)

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one seems pretty bad which is a real bummer (for him more than us I'm sure), he's been shut down for quite a while.
    Here's a depressing story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lfe-remains-out-indefinitely-with-concussion/

Now back to Pissing on the Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the info. Bummer, indeed.

In Chicago, we would not want it any other way.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Wilco - is that okay? Been a fan since AM. Do I get a pass.

Also Sybris for the newer noisier music.

Ferris Bueller's Day off is a good movie.