Chernobyl - HBO

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, May 27, 2019.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well this is pretty great!

I had avoided this initially but I'm glad that I gave it a chance as it is brilliant.

Dante repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the first three episodes already, great acting and writing. Looking forward to episode 4 tonight.

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I like it a lot but one thing that is putting me off is these are all supposed to be Russians yet I hear some actors who are talking in specific British accents, some trying to put a Russian accent on and also some american accents.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think almost everyone is sort of using their own accent?

5. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have come to expect quality from HBO and this mini-series has exceeded my expectations. I hadn't heard much about it until I saw a promo just before the Game of Thrones premier in April. Like a previous post mentioned it was a bit distracting at first with all the English accents but the storyline and craftsmanship quickly overshadowed that. An episode or two more beyond the 5 in the series might have been nice but the producers, IMO, have managed to cover all the important details in the 5 hours in a way that the viewer understands it all without feeling like some details are missing.

Most definitely a nice make good for the wet fart that season 8 of Game of Thrones turned out to be.

BTW - has Stellan Skarsgard ever given a performance where he hasn't growled his lines?

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Episode five was quite good.

I'm pretty sure that the screenplay will be studied at many a screenwriting course for its structure.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

It took awhile to get used to that when I watched The Death of Stalin

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed. 90% of the episode was just in the court(or hearing?) yet every moment was captivating. Really enjoyed it.

9. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Roose Bolten for the prosecution, your honor.

The episode was very, very well crafted. Even though you knew the story, the flash backs to the events that lead up to the explosion still had an edge of the seat quality to them. It is rare when the dialogue, acting, and cinematography come together so seamlessly.

10. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    This was an excellent miniseries.

Btw. Russia is starting its propaganda counterattack:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/07/chernobyl-hbo-russian-tv-remake

Afraid of a successful TV show. Tells you everything you need to know about this country.

sitruc and cachundo repped this.
  11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The character trait that defines the Russian state, and to a certain extent - Russians themselves, is paranoia. Centuries/millenia of invasion from all sides helped reinforce paranoia of enemies - external and internal, real or imagined. Paranoia led to the establishment/invasion of buffer states to protect against threats - real and imagined - from Germany, China/Mongols/Huns, Ottomans, etc.

Back to the show. I liked the show. Nuclear radiation/sickness does not lend itself visually in a theatrical format, but they did a very good job of developing characters, and the moral dilemmas that they faced. Maybe there will be a narrative/show about Fukushima in a few years?

12. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I totally get the need of Russia to protect themselves from western invasion. It's not that they haven't legitimate reasons to do so. It's the apparent need of the Russian state to defend everything the Sowjet Union ever did that bewilders me.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    His use of analogue powerpoint was awesome :ROFLMAO: