Cheney - Don't worry about losing your job, there's always eBay....(seriously)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Samarkand, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hard to believe this guy is looking at reelection. Reminds me of Quayle saying the recession was over because he saw a Help Wanted sign in Burger King.
    http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html

Cheney bids up the flagging economy

The critical swing state of Ohio has hemorrhaged hundreds of thousands of jobs with Bush in office, but Vice President Cheney explained to Bush supporters at a campaign stop in Cincinnati on Thursday that the nation's economic picture may be better than naysayers think. He argued that current national employment statistics overlook many people who are making money, such as those selling items on the auction site eBay.

"That's a source that didn't even exist 10 years ago," Cheney said, according to the Associated Press. "Four hundred thousand people make some money trading on eBay."

Cheney didn't elaborate as to how many of those folks might make a sustainable living doing so.

Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards responded that Cheney's comments show how "out of touch" he and President Bush are with the economy.

"If we only included bake sales and how much money kids make at lemonade stands," Edwards said in a statement, "this economy would really be cooking.''

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best quote of the campaign so far!

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dick might be watching too many of those infomericials that are aired during down time on FSW.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Hopefully, this is a preview of the debate between these two. :D

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Thank you, Dick Cheney, for reminding me to send the check to the guy I bought a 1994 US Soccer Media Guide from.

I'm sure that his family have been anxiously waiting my $5.24 so that they can have a proper Christmas.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    God bless us. Everyone.