Chelsea vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Sept 22 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I really doubt he would have taken Mane off if not for the injury, especially since he was always going to be rested midweek.

We were left with no threat going forward and could not get a hold of the ball. I think that if Origi was available he would have been a good option to come on. Gini didn’t give us much of an outlet on the left wing, and neither did Lallana when he came on.

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Missed this one due to playing my Sunday league at the same time (hungover, which was miserable) but glad we pulled it out. I was a tad worried.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Really? You really said that? It was offside. If it had cost us a win, knowing that it was offside, you're ok with that?

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt hungover that last 20 mins - it was nervy (mind you I don't think I've had any alcohol for almost 7 months)

usscouse and burning247 repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I just felt like I'd eaten a pot of super hot chile. With a couple of beers to help it on it's way.
    Always had faith in our defense though.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Kante reminded me of a quote from one of those footie legends. Pele perhaps?

Roughly. "1minute of glory can make up for 89 minutes of mediocre play."

Very roughly :)

8. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stamford Bridge is always a tough place to get a result, so winning there is a bonus. The second half wasn't great for sure. Passing and rhythm were off for most of it, and the subs didn't help.

Still, three points and six wins from six despite not hitting our stride yet. I'll take it.

usscouse repped this.
  9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Watch against Sheffield United next week. That should break any causation feeling up for you, hopefully......
    ;)

jeffcoop repped this.
  10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

In Texas - wasn't the field underwater??

(Also - a lot of tv's have a thing called a record button!!)

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting VAR discussions happening on talk shows. Apparently there was an even more egregious one where Aston Villa was denied a penalty.

All very well giving officials technological help but they have to half way competent.

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    BTW, did anyone else notice that nearly every Chelsea corner/cross was swallowed up by the Liverpool defense, primarily VVD and Matip? I think part of Chelsea's plan was to get behind the fullbacks and cross the ball in for Abraham et al. Didn't work at all and their goal came from going through the center.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    To my mind, all that's really happened is that one subjective decision - the ref on the pitch - has been changed for another - the ref in the booth. Still subjective, still going to be argued and still without a clear consistency across VAR officials. I think a huge part of the problem is that we're expecting it to be like goal line technology - definite black or white - whereas in practice, it's still a subjective opinion in the booth.

Also, there's too much crying about offside. If the player is offside, does it matter that he's 0.2mm offside? We lost a "goal" to City last season by 11+mm and no one seriously tried arguing that it was good. Offside and goal line technology are two instances where they can be definitively determined ex post facto. Everything else, so far, is proving to be subjective.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    VAR offside calls are NOT "definitely determined" by anything other than those subjective human beings, who decide the exact instant that the ball leaves the passing player's foot or head. it's not "scientific" but it's made to look that way.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I think what he might mean is that spectators don't go to football matches to have their emotions fvcked around with in that manner.

sure, it was good for Liverpool, but when it happens to you is when you get to say if it's really good or not....

What you have to put up with in order to get these microscopically difficult to call decisions called correctly may not be quite as palatable as was envisaged.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #91 Samarkand, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Disagree. With the video technology, they do have it down as far as I’m concerned. VAR is not working overruling refs for penalties (Matip?) but it is for offside.

Interesting discussion on MOTD2 yesterday. Chapman, Shearer and Murphy. Their generally agreed upon point was that VAR, so far, has been used as a negative technology, to deny goals, rather than to allow them. Somewhat circular, but I understand where they’re coming from. VAR can’t award a goal to a shot that has missed; all it can really do is confirm a goal/penalty is good, in which case we knew that anyway, or deny a goal scored/penalty, in which case there’s a big hue and cry.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Texas is a big state and we're not all in the Houston area (thank the gods).

Not when you've got another loudmouth Liverpool "fan" on your team who has the game on his phone and talks about it while you're off the field.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nah, the focus is on the freeze frame of the offside man ... nothing to show the start of the move and exactly when the vid is frozen.

up to a point - try telling that to City fans after the Spurs CL qtr-final goal was OK'd by VAR.

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For about an hour. but it did fall apart and we were relying heavily on the back 5 to stay ahead after it got to 2-1. We weren't possessing the ball.Games like that can get tricky and teams often drop points in those situations .... and we didn't! So, the way I see it is, in terms of the kinds of not great or satisfactory game performances that happen in a championship drive season, this was one of what will prob only be a handful of real problem games, and we put the points in the bag. So, overall, it feels good. Need to close it out by banging a few past Sheffield on Saturday.

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hate those kinds of people.

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's an interesting question because obviously he gets no advantage by being 0.2mm offside. (Rule needs changing back to something more substantial methinks.

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's as near exact as can be. If the last 1mm is subjective then so be it. At least there won't be any more "terrible" offside calls.

Samarkand repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    your definition of a terrible call and mine are different.

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How so?

Under the old system offside calls were sometimes wrong by several yards. Will never happen again.

LiverpoolFanatic and Navieko repped this.
  25. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This, completely agree. You have to look at why the offside rule was brought in, in the first place and what purpose it serves. As you said a player doesn't get any advantage by being a millimetre offside. Rule definitely needs changing. These millimetre calls make a mockery of the sport. Eventually players will be so scared/cautious of being called offside that it will affect goal scoring. Or players will need to start playing with tape measures on them to measure that they're not offside when they make their run.