Chelsea v. Spurs, December 22 2019

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Never change Jose

StamfordBridgeLions and Yahtzee repped this.
  2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rhetorical statement :) but what you say is simply the truth. I appreciate it massively when it happens, just wish it wasn't so infrequent.

3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, well, well - I've only just finished 'punching the air! First piece of silverware for Frank - the 'let's f*ck over Spurs' cup :). I could only listen over the radio (Christmas commitments) but Willian sounded immense, masterful management from Frank today, very happy, my only concern is that they only seem to put on this kind of performance when I'm not watching!!

4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This win means nothing if we can't follow through against Soton in a few days' time.

5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's not special anymore. . .

Jose - the non-special one - has to understand that the point is Son kicked out at another player and you are not allowed to do that. It is totally unnecessary and Son got the red card he deserved.

Also, considering that Rudiger was then racially abused by the Spurs fans. I don't think it is a good idea for Jose to join in with Rudiger abuse.

Wrath repped this.
  7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is the first time in my life I've heard a Chelsea fan describe beating the scum as 'meaning nothing' :-o

Dr_Intoxicated, Gacm32, lobomojo and 5 others repped this.
  8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Taking 3 points away from a team vying for top 4 is meaningful no matter what happens next

Gacm32 and lobomojo repped this.
  9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Did Rudiger embellish the situation? For sure. Did Son kick out? For sure. Was red warranted? Absolutely. It's the intent, not the effect that is punished.

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tammy was superb and he really gave Alderweireld a hard game.

lobomojo and Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Easy solution here....

Wrath, Naughtius Maximus and Yahtzee repped this.
  12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In a series of tweets on Sunday night, the Chelsea defender posted: 'It is really sad to see racism again at a football match, but I think it's very important to talk about it in public. If not, it will be forgotten again in a couple of days (as always).

'I don't want to involve Tottenham as an entire club into this situation as I know that just a couple of idiots were the offenders. I got a lot of supportive messages on social media from Spurs fans as well in the last hours - thank you a lot for this. (2/4)

'I really hope that the offenders will be found and punished soon, and in such a modern football ground like the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with dozens of TV and security cameras, it must be possible to find and subsequently punish them. (3/4)

'If not, then there must have been witnesses in the stadium who saw and heard the incident. It's just such a shame that racism still exists in 2019. When will this nonsense stop?'

Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Speaking on Sky Sports after Sunday's game, Gary Neville spoke out passionately about the incident and the response required.

"We have a racism problem in the Premier League in England," said Neville.

"The Premier League have got to stand up. They hide behind the FA on this issue. They hide behind the FA, in my opinion. They push disciplinary issues onto the FA.

"I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we have just had an election in this country where both main parties and the leaders of both main parties are accused constantly over the last month of fuelling racism and accepting racism within their parties.

"If it is accepted at the highest office in the country, we are not talking about it at a micro level we are talking about it at an absolutely enormous level, the highest office in the country.

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Really? I say this all the time.

15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But then you are a rather plastic fan of Chelsea FC.

Gacm32 repped this.
  16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Daily Express Chelsea player ratings vs Tottenham
    [I do not really (entirely) agree with them]

GK: Kepa Arrizabalaga - 6

Barely had anything to do thanks to Chelsea’s complete domination.

CB: Fikayo Tomori - 6

Nervy start to playing in a back three but soon settled down to hold his end up.

CB: Antonio Rudiger - 7

Played the new system like a pro. Less impressive was the way he played Son like a pro for red card.

CB: Kurt Zouma - 7

Given the responsibility to keep Kane quiet he did precisely that.

RWB: Cesar Azpilicueta - 6

The width he provided was key to Chelsea pinning Spurs back so easily.

CM: N’Golo Kante - 8

Dominated midfield with his energy – making Spurs pay for their lethargy.

CM: Mateo Kovacic - 8

Seemed to pop up everywhere whenever Tottenham tried to build any possession.

LWB: Marcos Alonso - 8

Speed up and down the flank kept Tottenham on the back foot as he always seemed available.

RW: Willian - 9

The man who put the finishing flourishes on all the good work Chelsea did here.

ST: Tammy Abraham - 7

A brilliant focus for Chelsea’s play, just added to Tottenham’s misery.

LW: Mason Mount 8

His maturity and enthusiasm, especially in the first half, really made this system buzz.

17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    willian was brilliant. goals aside, he was everywhere, always an outlet, and everything he tried worked. one of the best complete games i've seen from him.

18. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Have you ever been to a Chelsea vs Tottenham match? You are literally the ONLY Chelsea « fan » I’ve heard say anything like that. No wonder you thought we’d get battered 3-0. Plastic.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Agreed. I think a lot of other performances, however, are being pretty overrated. For all the supposed "dominance" we had, we actually created very few good chances.

Easy - I suspect he means he finds Spurs beyond contempt. Let's calm down with the "plastic" stuff.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

21. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    WE won the game 2-0. We deserved to win. We played better.

Yes. Yes, you are.

Gacm32 and lobomojo repped this.
  22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    we did play better, and we did we the game deservedly. and while i was hugely encouraged by the game, i also agree that we didn't actually create a bunch of clear cut chances that a "domination" of a game usually implies. but that's just offensively, i do think defensively we did a pretty good job of nullifying the threat spurs have had over the last 5-6 games or so. and that comes down to franks tactical setup to do exactly that, while still allowing some freedom for attacking players. so i think we dominated by nullifying and surprising jose more than by scoring opportunities.

i think jose setup to play us a certain way and frank decided to stretch the game differently and jose wasn't ready for it. for example, jose put two aggressive less tactical midfielders as his only two midfield, expecting us to play through the middle, instead we played through the sides with the wingbacks and they were forced side to side and it made our more technical midfield the opportunity to completely pass around two "ball winners" for lack of a better descriptor right now. spurs looked quite a bit better with someone like Ndombele in the middle.

i don't think you can overstate how well Kante and Kovacic played, particularly Kante, in him you have a such diverse player and one that inherently understands what a game needs at any given time. that is so rare for a player that can be a destroyer, switch modes to a dribbler, and then to a linker in the span of 5 minutes, or even in one move.

Zouma, who just had a Zouma game, was fine, because he was asked to do things he can do well, which is basically to mop up and attack in long ball played even remotely in his area. and then, to basically pass a square ball to two other CBs who have much better distribution. so i'm not going to say he had a great game, he just had a game that he should have under those conditions.

basically frank snuffed out his own weaknesses when considering how spurs have been playing under jose which is much more direct, and compensated. the right formation and personnel for the day. and while i would have liked to see Pulisic instead of Mount in that role, i can really only say that because i don't think that frank expected the formation to work quite as well as it did, he wanted a little more industry there instead of creativity, (i know pulisic can be industrious as well but the point stands). it was only after how poorly spurs *didn't adjust that you would have thought Pulisic could have a field day there. and then with injuries frank was forced to make changes that weren't a fresh pulisic running at tired defenders.

StamfordBridgeLions and Wrath repped this.
  24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The counterpoint, of course, is that Spurs nullified us pretty well.

25. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Was watching the highlights but wtf was Son thinking? With so many cameras around you, you do that and then have the audacity to complain. He had that horror tackle on Gomez as well. He has a dirty streak in him but doesn't come out into the media because he smiles and cries.

StamfordBridgeLions and Blueallthru repped this.