PBP: Chelsea v. Manchester United, November 5, 2017

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Told yas

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We were the better side and not because United sat back. Jose tried to go for it.

The Jones "push" was BS.
    Herrera was/is BS.
    Kante is not BS.
    The hot seat talk is not BS. Remember, the "Board" is Roman. That's all.
    Lukaku missing in big games again.
    Morata was immense in a big game. What a header.
    Andreas is fantastic. Not sure if Luiz and Conte will make up, but I think Luiz is still a fantastic defender and distributor of the ball.
    Hazard must look like swiss cheese today. Christ. How were there no reds on all the stomping.
    All the creaming over Ashley Young must please stop. Remember, he can't track back for shit.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn't worry too much about all this Conte is leaving talk, while (as we know) anything is possible in football the press in the UK really don't like our club and are constantly trying everything in their power to upset the apple cart. Over the last few months they have told us that Hazard is DEFINATELY not here with us this season but is with Madrid, Conte is definitely going to Inter Milan and then definitely AC Milan AND he has fallen out with all his players, apparently Conte is furious because he wanted Lukaku (when we know all along he wanted Morata) and he is generally pissed off because Roman didn't give him all he wanted, Roman doesn't like him, both he Morata (and just about everybody else at the club) hates living in London and that Chelsea are generally in a huge crisis! Daily fail says so, so it must be true! lol.

Yahtzee repped this.
  6. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Yeah, I don’t know anything about the UKL press, but is that really true? Here in the US, for example, every major college (American) football fan base is convinced ESPN is out to get them.

7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Football (sawker) is a lot more tribal than US football. There is also a lot of favoritism in the press. Chelsea fans were a pretty rough crew in the 80's and that's always kind of stuck. It's pretty legit.

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really the English media (primarily tabloids) will write whatever sells. Chelsea made themselves a target when Roman took over so whatever journos write about us moves papers (moreso from the haters hence negative press is a better choice).

It ebbs and flows. During the zola years press was very positive towards us. Early mourinho and there were lots of plaudits as well but the naysayers largely won out and it was easy to wrote stories about the Roman era club, still is.

When I grew up there was little press about us at all. It was largely neutral match reports with occasional pieces about hooligans but that was from a more general tapestry than seemed to focus more on millwall tbh. Some will say this was the worst because nothing was written in general one way or the other. We were largely a non entity.

There is some persistent feeling that televised media has been Liverpool leaning for a while given the sheer number of pundits that used to play for them. Even now we are seeing a more positive sentiment to us as more ex chels get a job with a mix.

Overall we probably get attacked more than praised (most clubs will say similar as negative press just sells better or generates more clicks in the current space) and mostly since we started winning titles. The correlation is to success more than anything else. If we averaged 12th, there would be little coverage.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep its true, go to the Daily Mail online newspaper today, look at the latest Chelsea story, see the words 'the Daily Mail understands' as their 'source' to the story and then read the publics comments section, you will see that I am not the only one that feels this way. The UK press is notorious for sprouting sensationalist BS, everybody knows about 'the Sun' but at least that particular 'newspaper' doesn't pretend to be a serious news outlet, the Daily Fail on the other hand........

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've noticed the London clubs seem to garner FAR more 'negative' stories from the press than the 'darlings' of the North, particularly Utd and Liverpool, when Mourninho was boss at the Bridge he was mercilessly attacked but now he is given a lot more support, as Kerry Dixons boots has pointed out it could be because a lot of pundits are from Surrey and therefore support Utd and Liverpool.

11. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Well, I’m not sure “read the comments” is ever proof of anything. [emoji23]

All this sounds just like every college football fan base ever. See: https://www.cornnation.com/2014/12/14/7351623/espns-secret-hate-list-revealed

12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Its proof that a LOT of people feel this way (and not all of them Chelsea fans), trust me, as somebody who actually lives in the UK I can tell you that the club is not liked by the press. When I used to go to Stamford Bridge as a boy there was a lot of negativity around the place, hooliganism was rife and it was killing the club and making it rather un-popular, then in the mid nineties the pendulum 'swung' the other way somewhat, the 'Gullit / Zola' years meant that there was a 'new' kid on the block and the press responded, Chelsea were looked upon in a different 'light' by the press. Abramovich and his mega money is what started to sway things back the 'other' way, add a dash of Mourinho and a lot of success and you get to where we are today, the press are trying everything in their power to 'de-rail' the club (the UK press anyway), the talk of 'crisis' has been running since last Summer - its plain to see there is no 'crisis' yet they have sank their teeth into this and won't let it go! If the shoe was on the 'other' foot and Utd had won the game while playing a young player the reports wouldn't have been about 'crisis' trust me. They would have been about the genious of Mourinho and the outstanding ability of the youngster who was a 'rock' at the back, they probably would have mentioned the Utd Acadamy, they wouldn't have harped on about disputes and claimed that because Mourninho had dropped a player the club was in 'crisis' and Mourninho was about to be sacked! London clubs in general seem to get more 'negative' press than northern clubs.

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The media are absolutely swooning all over Sp*rs these days.

Also, I bet if you asked any northern Red, they would probably think the media had a pro-London bias. End of the day, they are writing about us, it's when they don't write anything that we should be concerned.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Todays gems - Morata has an interview with the Spanish press and when pushed on a return says:-
    'The critics do not affect me. Of course, I would return to Real Madrid, but it's complicated'

The Daily Fail headline - Alvaro Morata admits he would JUMP at chance to return to Real Madrid but insists the situation is 'complicated'

The term 'jump at the chance' is simply made up to 'unsettle' - the readers comments section shows it works too. Other Chelsea news in the newspaper today is Danny Drinkwater getting slated for 'allegedly' turning down the opportunity for an England cap, its just the continuous 'chipping away' that p*sses me off.