Chelsea v Arsenal, August 18, 2018 - League Match #2

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Aug 17, 2018.

1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    so Barkley comes off think i would have taken off Kante as he is playing so far forward

2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    at 2-0 up i was just thinking we would win 5 or 6 nil. now i just want to win the game

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm thinking it's less about this match specifically and more about trying combinations with his likely starters. Early days to experiment.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But at Chelsea if you don't win early days, you might not get later or even mid days

plus its arse, just ********ing win, experiment later

although I do see this as our starting midfield

5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We will see a lot more goals and might even lose some games but I can't remember when we last dominated a big side like this.

Blueallthru repped this.
  6. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With the introduction of Hazzard and Kovacic, Arsenal now have two technical midfielders to deal with. This has allowed Kante to not be so far forward and pushed back Arsenal's right side which has been their better attacking side. We have looked the better attacking side in the larger part of the second half.

7. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How did Giroud miss that bit at the end?

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the style of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: when we were good we were very very good and when we were bad we were horrid.

3 points. Top. Take it.

lobomojo repped this.
  9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    3 points :)
    and we played nicely.

10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No argument here and just a take on things. At least we did get the win in the end even if kante is not being used well enough yet. Kovacic looks legit.

Besides, we all know there are no later days here :D

PS what in the f*** are the commentators saying when they don't see any difference. Our approach is night and day from what its been.

Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kante needs to play in front of the back four and tidy up all those cut backs and prevent all those goals and opportunities. So Kante in front of the back four and THEN a midfield two of Jorghino and Kovacic - and then also Barkley/RLC/Fabregas getting some games (a little rotation).

Dr_Intoxicated and lobomojo repped this.
  12. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Think our second best winger is pissed off at being subbed off today? I mean, he was clearly fantastic, wasn't he?

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Kovacic was great, but our defense has to be a lot tighter. We could have lost this game very easily.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I missed the first 10 mins of the second half (family crisis) but from then on in the game was nothing like I expected it to be! Hazard wow what a difference he made, Kovacic looks the real deal, between them they were running A*rse ragged.

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    375x500.249.jpg

Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  16. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Christensen’s dad will probablt start making some trouble here soon if he doesn’t get some time. I think he should be playing over Luiz. If I were Bayern I’d absolutely bite PSG’s arm off to take Boateng and replace him with Andreas.

Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Only after his comments in the past few weeks. You think you are so good to be not dropped, prove it.

Anyways, last post.

18. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

Wrath repped this.
  19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The team is getting better. The defensive lapses are a result of learning a new system, for sure. It should've ended with more goals, but I think we still would've come out on top.

But we did anyway. Barkley looked good. The Morata goal was special.

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sarri made some good comments on our poor patch (the need to press and close). Hopefully this will lead to improvements but at a minimum it's nice that the gaffer is seeing the problem rather than blaming the ref or some other stupid reason.

I'm still worried about Luiz. I know ball handling is key for this style but he is a risky player. By far the LVP yesterday and needs to improve but not sure he can, controlled positioning has never been his strength.

Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think AC will take back the starting spot by the mid way point. Sarri is playing people he had more time with. As he gets more time with the full squad and the WC returners get rested and up to speed he will update the first choice 11 to the best 11. AC will take Luiz, Hazard will take Pedro and the 3rd mid will be settled.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope so on Luiz. When he has a fully ready squad it will be interesting to see what sort of rotation is employed for league matches.

I like that sarri is being patient with the squad and allowing for then to work their way back rather than bowing to fan pressure and starting hazard the very first game.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, tho he did rush Kante back I guess that's offset by the fact that he's the freaking energizer bunny and fitness is his game.

I've heard Sarri doesn't like to rotate his squad much once he has his best 11 in mind. I'm hoping the league's extra cup will force his hand but that's the same thing we hoped for with Conte and it didn't exactly play out that way. Hopefully, tho unlikely, this time it will be different.

24. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Would really love to see Kante back at holding. As someone else said, this could help shore up the D a bit. Barkley played well, but hard not to believe that Kovacic and Jorginho won’t settle in as starters.

25. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do you think it would be possible to have a fluid midfield so that in attack Kante is out wide but in the transition to defense he takes a more central role, he is certainly fit enough to do this but it would also need the other midfielders to adapt.

I must say that as much as I like RLC, Kovačić really impressed me with his all round speed, tackling, dribbling and willingness to be always available as an outball to his teamates.

lobomojo, Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.