Chelsea Pre-Season 2019/20 (the all-in thread)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 28, 2019.

1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well there went the delusional pre-season optimism

totally outclassed so far

all things considered, Luiz is back in my starting line-up, at least you gets some good and occasionally spectacular with the bad

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I really want to like Christensen more, but mistakes like the second goal make it tough. Consistent brain farts.

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    had not noticed or taken note of it before but Zouma's touch a bit heavy and slow, at least today

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rudiger seems the only one of our D's not more error prone than desired,( he has one now and again but not often)

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    His touch is always heavy and slow. He’s best suited to a system with less possession imho. That Jose played him at RB is...very Jose.

6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ya might be right:eek: schedule the next time I say that for 2022

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    stating to threaten more, forced a couple saves, could be more clinical for sure though

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Lol, that’s a soft penalty. Good run from kovacic. Glad to see this part of his game again.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Giroud and Kennedy in

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    not Kov's best match but has looked much better this summer in new approach

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kanté!!!!!

12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley look to be the penalty taker if on, certain one to tie up off foul to Mount

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Zouma is not the best at playing the ball out, which is odd that Jose played him as our DM at times (Spurs Cup Final). I feel Zouma is good coverage for Rudiger.

I wonder if Frank will keep Kenedy in the squad - at least until RLC and CHO come back.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect he will. Then in the January window move Kenedy and all of the other excess players he can so we can load up on new talent once the ban is lifted.

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well the good news is manu don't look all that good today

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't get it anymore. I have Sling and get NBCSN and FS1 and FS2.

17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The 40 yard gap that can appear between our midfield and back line when the other team gets a break gives me so much anxiety.

So much ********ing about with the ball in general.. lotsa questions about this team

I will say that Pulisic is clearly class. Highly intelligent, direct player that despite not wanting to be compared to Hazard, is already going to fill the void as most shifty, most fouled player on the roster

lobomojo repped this.
  18. kgb183

kgb183 New Member

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #143 kgb183, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    I’m happy with the team as a whole after pre-season.

Pros
    - We seem to have renewed great midfielders out of Kanté, Mount, Jorginho, Kovacic and Barkley (+ RLC later on). This was not exactly the picture we’ve had for quite some time already (since Matic was sold, maybe, and maybe we are better now than then);
    - Pulisic (he just needs to gain some muscles “because Premier League”);
    - We seem to have a manager that actually responds to the game and has a hoster of strategies, flexible, which is good when you are not Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus, City, that can always spend on the very best players for each position.

Cons
    - Defensively we are poor (maybe we are better with Kanté, not good to rely that much on one player anyway);
    - Not sure if I’m fully bought on Abraham. Clear improvement over Giroud and the best stuff we could do considering transfer ban. Anyway…

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  19. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Kante will make a big difference, but yeah not good to "have" to have him every match. Also think pre-seasoin not the best time to judge defence, tired legs and you just don't get the effort there with little on the line, Liverpool shipping goals this summer and looking ragged in defence, but I expect that to change quick in real season.

Jorginho impressive in preseason, Kov so much better in new approach, and Jorginho's defence has improved a wee bit, but not enough to be the last line of defense. Our cb's, not named Rudiger, are starting to really worry me, where I thought that was going to be a strength. On the other hand where I was worried about midfield depth in June, now I think it may be hard to play all enough, except at the Kante spot.

p.s. rant why the eff did the FA sell rights to everything to a company that only puts it on paid internet and never tv:mad::mad::mad:

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The problem with our defensive woes is that it's the same issues as last season. That's the problem. We haven't changed it a bit. Getting Rüdiger back helps a little but getting Reece James in helps even more. He's a Wan Bissaka type fullback. Tons of pace, great in the final third and a really good defender to boot.

21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This squad has a lot of potential, it may just take a bumpy season or two to see it realized. My watch word for this season is patience.

Crawleybus repped this.
  22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could end the season with the following 11...

Cho (19)——-Tammy (21)——-Pulisic (20)
    ————Mount(20)———RLC (23)——-
    ———————-Kante (28)——————-
    Emerson(25)-AC(23)—Rudy(26)-James(19)
    ———————Kepa (24)————————

Ages give or take the timing of a bday. This team has so much potential. Patience is def key.

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tammy should have had a hat trick and the idea of placing the ball once he is through may not be his best idea. He gets in and he should just whack them in Jimmy Flyod style. Hit them straight and hit them hard Tammy. Because that is effective for the type of player you are. Tammy is good with a cross as he wins the ball and if the Chelsea players get their awareness together there should be a lot of tap ins.

24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No way James will displace Az at right back. He is a machine.

I still think we lack serious quality at striker from Tammy to Giroud to Michy as an out and out goalscorer. Giroud is the best of the three to help the rest of the team, but that means more goals will need to come from midfield. RLC showed this in very limited action last season.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair I did put “could.” While you’re likely right about Az still being better than James and likely our captain again he doesn’t fit as well as James does. Frank wants his outside backs to attack and Az just isn’t that. As for the striker... 100% agree. There’s a lot of questions around whether or not Tammy will be good enough. We will know by the end of the year if he’s a viable first team option or if we need to go out and reinforce there.

Blueallthru repped this.