Cheering, Chanting, Vulgarities, and A Host of Related Topics

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by dstorm, Mar 2, 2011.

1. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Is it ok to say "crazy drunken white-trash bitch" around your kids? It is with mine, but I know I'm not the same as most here in my parenting philosphies.

2. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo, I just found this fun thread!

So everyone seems to be forgetting about Section 26. I think that we are proof positive that you can have a SG that is loud, makes noise and is family friendly. We have old people, young people, drunk people, punk people, families with kids, short kids, fat kids, even kids with chicken pox (not really chicken pox), that are all in our section. We are loud, we cheer, we sing, and the worst word we say is "Suck". We have created an atmosphere in the north end that is loud, accepting, and family friendly. Two years ago it was just us starting cheers, now its every section around us.

It is possible to be part of the atmosphere and not be offensive. But there are two parts to that, being offensive and getting offended, and both sides need to chill out. No one party is right or wrong. We all have different values. To each their own.

For most people, I'd say the games are a time for us to come let go of our stresses from the week, let out some aggression and forget about life for a while. I'd rather Lurpy yell about effing Hesmers grandma than rob a Rite-Aid for oxycotin.

In the end I just want to say, if you dont like the south end, come to the north end. If you dont like cheering and just want to watch the game, TV has better angles and better replay, the stadium is only getting louder.

3. mr. slick

mr. slick Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Section 26
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know... I've heard a little worse than "suck" in our section! But it's rarely, and usually when too much alcohol has been consumed. :D But you make great points. And I think you're right about the atmosphere there. Best fans in MLS. I know that's cliche, but I believe it when I hear us all going all over the stadium.

4. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't I do both?

And I think the reason everyone forgets about Section 26 is because everyone loves you. You guys are never at loggerheads with the other people in the stadium. But you make a valid point--it's not just us drunk profane bastards who can get loud.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have lost count of how many people have specifically said to me "I love the guys over in section 26" (or the north-west corner, for those that are really new). You guys have a great thing going. Moving to section 14 has sucked a little, but I think the angle on that corner is better, for whatever reason. That, and why not spread the love. Last season there seemed to be quite a few people in 13 and 14 who were the type that loved to chant and cheer. Havent had enough games this season to really get a gage on how it will be, but its been fun so far.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make for one memorable robery

7. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone go to the supporter summit last night? I was not there, but I heard that the team asked for the supports to cut down on the vulgarity.

8. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and it always comes from the same person. She sits about in the middle of 26. Looks like a truck driver and sounds like one as well. No offense to truck drivers.:)

9. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    None taken dude.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in both Spanish and English or just English?
    I chose my swear words based upon those who are around me...

11. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I was talking to someone who was at the meeting and that is all that he told me.

12. earthlib

earthlib New Member

May 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has anyone asked how the Vulgarity has affected the attendance? One could argue that since the Vulgarity has increased, so has the attendance in the stadium. I know the South end has sold out faster for LA than it ever has.

Also, Since the Vulgarity and the A-Hole chants have gotten louder, we haven't lost at the RioT.

Apparently, it's not really effecting attendance. We're just getting more people in those seats that like the F-bombs.

13. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    You think the two are related?

I hope Kreis still holds training just in case the F bombs don't work.

14. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The two are definitely related, but no one said the team needs to stop training. Also, the south section is now sold out. That speaks for itself. Now maybe you tea tossers can do your jobs and sell out your sections with your wholesome goodness.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont worry, we covered it:D

16. earthlib

earthlib New Member

May 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't like what you hear, stop coming to matches. we apparently have lines of people waiting to take your place :)

17. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! If you don't like it you should move to China or Iraq or something.:cool:

18. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. earthlib

earthlib New Member

May 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) im not being serious with my comments. Im just trying to jump on the online complaining band wagon. Our tagline should be "No Solutions, Just Complaints"

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the comment I made about razzing Davies over the car accident isn't as out of line as y'all (at the time) correctly pointed out.

From Dan Loney's Big Soccer Blog. https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=11178

21. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Dude, you know I'm tasteless enough to shake my keys at Diver Davies. I'm all for reminding that wanker about what he did. Hell, I'll be singing about him being Michael Jackson's friend and about certain infections he may have contracted from that experience.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving him shit about Micheal Jackson would be mean but fair game.

Any referance to a car accident with a fatality would be ugly, and in
    my mind tastless. But if thats the goal? I guess nobody could stop you.

23. SamsungUnited

SamsungUnited Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  24. Ucnerock

Ucnerock New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I will have to say after watching the game tonight I was impressed with the Timber's Army and their continuous singing/chanting so I got online to see what their chants were like and the most vulgar ones I could find were "You're so CRUDDY it's unbelivable" and "Go home you BUMS". So maybe there is a reason they have created such a great atmosphere, they created one that everyone can participate in . So as much as some on here want to make this out as a religious (read mormon) thing, it isn't. Even a liberal city like Portland gets it. And yes I did move my season tickets to the other side of the stadium.

25. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    While I respect what Portland has done, I just don't think that would happen here. Different culture.