Chaves vs. Sporting | Liga NOS 2016/17 Matchday 17

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Jan 13, 2017.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    It was, but RP helped it by being positionally too advanced in the small area.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah RP was anticipating the breakaway pass and he was ready to come out but I'm not sure RP would of done any better even if he was only a couple of yards from the goal line. It looked like a slow shot but it had a nasty dipping effect and less an an inch from crossbar. Video is great quality. https://www.trollfootball.me/news/view/fabio-martins-great-goal-chaves-2-2-sporting

I won't fault RP as he was just trying to prevent the breakaway. He probably Wasnt too hopeful the defender would of cut that ball.

3. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, RP was stepping up for a potential 1v1. Just a helluva pop for the goal.

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree that Benfica's foreign signings have been better, but they also sign more players every window and have the $$ to fail on half or even more and still have a few that stand out and contribute. We don't have that luxury. Which is the why the signings we do make can't be so scattershot.

I don't agree about Mane, he was very inconsistent last season. But maybe that was because of JJ? I'd rather have him than Castaignos and Andre, that's for sure. Coates isn't an outstanding player but he is obviously good enough for this league. Every CB makes mistakes and he has been decent.

5. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Coates has no chance of moving to an English club, he's a bit of a laughing stock in England. Wasn't happy when we signed him and I'm glad everyone's finally seeing that he isn't good enough

6. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Look at me and you agreeing on everything :thumbsup:

7. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Again, big lol that you're pretending you predicted markovic and Campbell would be trash. I don't remember anyone complaining when we signed them and shipped mane out in the summer. Mane did nothing last season. He would've done nothing this season. Pretending he's something he's not isn't gonna change anything. He's not good enough for a big 3, just like yannick before him wasn't. Both fast players with no skills who scored a decent amount off the bench.

8. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    If we get knocked out of the cup then let's be honest that is got to be it for JJ. I do think we should get rid of him anyway but if he won the cup it would at least give him an ounce of credibility

9. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I thought Campbell would be great and he's been a bit average so far, markovic I was unsure about because he's just gone backwards ever since leaving benfica but I had hoped he would be good. But that doesn't mean i wouldn't have us rather keep mane and not sign other wingers.
    You're right he wasn't great last season but the year before he scored 9 goals and 6 assists, and even if he was poor last season he's only 22. What's the point in having such a famed acacdemy if we're giving up on our talents at 22?

vilafria repped this.
  10. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You don't have to agree but my point is that Markovic is more better than that bum Bruno Cesar is

My question is what makes you think he is better the guy flopped at Benfica and Al Ahli Jeddah. He is slow and tactically inept at creating anything on counterattacks he gets burned

But reality is that SCP lack depth.

Also I add not to highjack this thread but you misinterpreted my NT comments

11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Every post you make really makes me question whether you've watched a single game. Cesar has been one of like 3 or 4 decent players for us. And he absolutely did not flop at benfica. Obviously him at left back is a different sotry, but in the midfield he's been fine. While markovic has been the worst player on the pitch. Every single time.

natenate101 repped this.
  12. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Bruno has been one of the most consistent and decent performers for us

13. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah even if on paper Lazar is better than Bruno Cesar, it hasn't translated on the field at all. Bruno has produced in his time here, but he also gets misused a lot (LB). Can't say the same about Markovic, I wasn't as excited as some here when he signed but I personally lost all faith in him after the first CL game against Dortmund. Probably one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen (hyperbole, but still) I haven't seen a negative performance like that from Bruno Cesar since he's been here.

14. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I lost faith when he came on against Madrid at the bernabeu, he came on for gelson and offered absolutely nothing. He didn't even look quick which is his main asset

15. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I personally think his best positions is behind the striker.

I like him a lot and his lone season at Benfica he produced in the Liga and in Europe.

I was very impressed with Gelson he reminds me of a young Quaresma and imho SCP need to do whatever they can to hold on to him.

LB-RB- desperately needed

ST- after Bas Dost I think SCP need another striker.

CB also needed for competition

16. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and what has Markovic shown in the past few years? Nada. Bruno Cesar may not b flashy but the guy busts his ass and is actually fun to watch for him. Much bigger impact than I thought he would have. I cannot at all understand the comparison being made with Markovic.

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Watched the game but didn't get a chance to post 'til now:

Patricio - Positioning should have been better on the tying goal but I can understand he was expecting the 1v1
    Esgaio - Burned by Fabio Martins several times, weak crossing; we need a better player for RB
    Coates - our best defender and I hope we keep him permanently. Don't understand people saying he sucks. For this league he's just fine.
    Semedo - Rough game, rough season so far. Paulo Oliveira is deserving a start and will get it next game.
    Bruno Cesar - Works his butt off, but obviously a huge liability at LB which is costing us points (thanks JJ); watch any of the games where he's played as a makeshift LB and see where most of the opposition goals start from
    William - Another underperformer; slow transition to attack or defend is causing us to destabilize; slow to initiate passes from deep
    Adrien - put in the effort, put in a decent shot producing a good save, the usual hustle but he can't do everything himself
    Gelson - assisted for the goal, but has look a bit subdued the last couple of games, perhaps fatigued; his 1v1 play is starting to be figured out by defenders
    Campbell - Poor half and rightly substituted, another poor crosser
    Alan Ruiz - After a bright game vs. Feirense, he had an underwhelming performance and right subbed off at halftime
    Bas Dost - MOTM, league leader in goals scored and the only bright spot so far.

Subs:
    Bryan Ruiz - it's obvious his form has dipped, although the quality is still there with the ball at his feet. A candidate to leave at the end of the season (MLS?)
    Andre - all things considered perhaps one of his better games, assisted for Dost's second goal and has more mobility but hesitates when finishing
    Paulo Oliveira - subbed on after Semedo's sending off, performed as best he could but not at fault for the tying goal

If we play the same way vs. Chaves again in the cup, we might just be knocked out - and then its lights out for this season

Also several news reports that BdC went to confront the squad after the match and lay into the team for what he perceives as lack of effort, while Adrien and William confronted him and came out in defense of the squad. A few more incidents like this and maybe BdC might not have re-election in the bag.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    He's my father's favorite, and that's good enough for me . :)

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    But isn't that what's needed in a subb'ed in impact player ? As far as Mane goes, he did his job well coming in and scoring.

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    yeah, it is.
    Not sure what else the players should expect ? A pat in the back and a well done praise ?

21. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think the players expect him to be a president and not a schoolboy fan. Let the coach do his job and don't undermine him. Thats why he's there.

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I guess if the coach wasn't sidelined by suspension maybe this wouldn't even happen , if it did .

23. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It happened in the changing rooms, pretty sure he's allowed in there.

24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mane never had a chance under JJ. Every time he Xmas into games, he changed them. Yet, he gets loaned. In my opinion, JJ ********ed this all up. And as such, so did BDC. I have no problems with BDC laying into these ********ing divas if JJ doesn't have enough sack to do it. All JJ does is place blame elsewhere

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You could be right, but my first reaction is to say that he can't.