Chat amongst yourselves: New England issues

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by chazsoccer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas fans have long had a good relationship with New England fans (except for those critical 90 minutes during a game). NE fans had some issues this past weekend at a home game versus the Chicago Fire.

A situation occurred at Gillette Stadium leading to several arrests and the banning of several people according to reports. The facts are not clear, but I thought I would provide a series of links if you want to read more.

Basic information: (Some of) The supporters section choose to use profanity in their chant. TeamOps (security) and the New England FO, during the beginning of the second half, decided to do something about it.

The chant? The traditional "You Suck" yelled at the opposing GK when he takes a goal kick - but many folks in the area of the supporters section added a word to the end of the chant (a$$h0le)

Others attending the games have complained about the profanity used in "YSA**"

The something that was done about it? Handcuffs, arrests, bans, etc

There are many sides to this - please take a moment to read the accounts for yourself.

Foxboro - We have a Problem
    - post soliciting feedback from around the league.

Fracas In The Fort: Revolution Supporters Banned and Arrested For Profane Chants - how it looked to a reporter in the press box

Fortgate - story from the inside

Fort Debacle as Told by the Simpsons - an attempt to diffuse the tension

NEW England FO issues statement - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759892

Discussion on New England Board - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759510

2. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to take this moment to say that I am grateful for the FC Dallas FO and security team, that works at communicating with its fans and creating a positive Game Day experience.

3. germ75

germ75 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Frisco
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought are..be better then that. The chants should be smarter then to have to resort to profane language.

I have no issues with the use of it, in the run of play and in the moment, but to have most of the section on a predetermined chant use it, not cool..

btw, this goes for both in English and in Spanish, we are in Texas, if you don't know a lot of Spanish, you at least know the 'good' words.

But, this has been said and addressed many time, although it seems to crop up ever now and then. But, at least we now have a great line of communication between our FO, Stadium crews, etc...

Good Look NE

4. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who may not have seen it - there is a league wide "Fan Code of Conduct"

MLS FAN CODE OF CONDUCT

Major League Soccer is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable soccer experience for all guests in and around our stadiums. MLS fans have a right to expect an environment where:

Fans are encouraged to cheer, sing, and otherwise support their team while remaining respectful and courteous to their fellow patrons, referees, opposing team fans and players.
    Fans enjoy the soccer experience free from fighting, *thrown objects, attempts to enter the playing field, political or inciting messages, and disorderly behavior, including foul, sexist, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures.
    Fans comply with requests from stadium staff regarding stadium policies and emergency response procedures.
    Fans promptly and carefully return the ball to a stadium staff member or the ball kid on the sidelines in the event that a soccer ball enters the stands. Alcoholic beverages are consumed in a responsible manner and only by those of legal age.
    Fans conduct themselves in a lawful manner to avoid incidents in the stadium and in the parking lots.

NOTE: The use of confetti as an expression of fan enthusiasm is not prohibited, but will be kept under review. Streamers are prohibited.

FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THIS CODE OF CONDUCT IS SUBJECT TO SANCTIONS, INCLUDING EJECTION, BANISHMENT AND ARREST.

MLS and its Clubs thank you for adhering to the provisions of this Code of Conduct and for making this event special and memorable to you and your fellow patrons.

Pledge to Fans

Major League Soccer values the support of every one of its fans. MLS pledges to protect a fan's right to:

Watch the game in a safe, clean and healthy environment.
    Be treated in a courteous, consistent and professional manner.
    Be treated with dignity and respect by other spectators attending the game and those organizing the event.
    "Support" his or her team, provided that the support is in good taste and neither adversely impacts the event experience of fellow spectators nor negatively impacts the game.
    Expect displays of good sportsmanship.
    Expect timely and accurate information related to the game.

5. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  7. RevsAndBlues

RevsAndBlues Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, not much fun

8. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah both sides are in the wrong here, as cussing as a group when told not to is childish. But the manner in which the organization handled it is just as poor and childish. What's really sad is that it's not like NE has a surplus of fans at games, so chasing these guys off is really chasing off their core constituency, which makes no sense to me both as a fan and a business man.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it appears that with NE returning to their pre-2002 suckfest; their FO has alienated their fans as well. No SSS in sight, arrests and bans for simple chants that we do every game. For shame.

As for our FO, I'm glad they have the patience to deal with lunatics like me when we drop F-bombs in front of families while their team is losing to F'n Sporting Kansas City and the ref. is handing out yellow cards for every foul. :eek:

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pretty lame. NE is quickly turning into the laughing stock of the league.

By the way.......I think the "you suck a-hole" chant is assinine. But hey, what do I care?

Parents know that cussing occurs at sporting events. If you want to avoid it, ask the ticket salesman (or a representative) what the best section of the stadium would be to hear as little of it as possible.

11. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only wonder how long before someone recognizes, "aaaaaaaa ********!" for being what it is and brings the hammer down here.

12. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is now a league wide movement to replace whatever is usually shouted at an opposing GK with "Support the Fort" to show solidarity with the New England Supporters who cheer from an area know as "The Fort".

FACEBOOK Page for "Support The Fort"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

NOTE: The issue is about the inappropriate use of force by stadium security, poorly communicated changes in enforcement, and other related items.

It is NOT about the supposed 'right' to use profanity,
    It is NOT about the right to chant "YSA"

Various news stories from around the league, including an update from the New England FO.

Updates from "The Drug Is Football"

Fortgate Update 1

Support The Fort Update 2 - with response from NE FO

From Portland

From Philadelphia

From The Free Beer Movement

Video of one supporter being arrested http://www.twitvid.com/2RGBE , supposedly for their behavior - listen carefully to what the arresting police officer says when the suspect asks what he is being arrested for...the response? "for being a f---- d---head"

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While I sympathize with The Fort, I will not be shouting "Support the Fort!" when the GK kicks the ball. That is ridiculous...

14. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This has been deleted.

15. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No kidding.

17. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a sticky up over at the NE boards looking for pics/video of StF stuff from around the league. I noticed some banners and the Inferno/EM showing some love this weekend but didn't find any pics of it. If anyone has some post 'em up.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1762976

18. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the Inferno, but I had this and posted it in the above thread. :)
    [​IMG]