Charlottesville 2017 | When White People "Chimp Out"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Devil's Architect, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think I posted a link. In regard to the bold: I think it was both. An anti-Antifa troll with access to legitimate sources (National Review, Quillette), was attacked. And the right wing blew it up.BUT given Trump's treatment of journalists, more on the left should decried it.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Always remember, despite some of these unprovoked attacks by antifa, antifa also did this because local & state cops chose not to do their jobs in Charlottesville that day:

Based on what was happening all around, the looks on their faces, the sheer number of them, and the weapons they were wielding, my hypothesis or theory is that had the antifa not stepped in, those of us standing on the steps would definitely have been injured, very likely gravely so. On Democracy Now, Cornel West, who was also in the line with us, said that he felt that the antifa saved his life. I didn’t roll my eyes at that statement or see it as an exaggeration—I saw it as a very reasonable hypothesis based on the facts we had.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ft-was-actually-doing-in-charlottesville.html

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    FYP! :)

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    fatbastard repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They legitimately see these Nazi thugs as threats to groups that they care about in their communities. One option is they can be like the faith-based and hope that Jesus or L.E. steps in and saves them. Or they can be prepared to defend themselves & their neighborhoods. No one would have an issue with a random dude taking karate classes to prevent a mugging. These Nazis mugged Charlottesville that day.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Today the pits, tomorrow the wrinkles.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, y'knowwwww, we're better than the GOP. We win with ideas.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nazis had permits to march/protest so they were not doing anything illegal.

Now that has not stopped cops from going after peaceful protesters in the past.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What about their weapons? And that little issue of driving over a crowd of people and killing a poor lady. I saw very little police presence to "keep the peace" that day. To me that seemed deliberate. I'm glad there's a group like Antifa that stands up to violent Nazis.

fatbastard, sitruc, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    so you are supporting vigilantism when law enforcement is perceived to not be doing its job. All the above is supposition. So somebody in a MAGA hat can open fire on a group of approaching black masked Antifa members because he fears for his safety and recent events have shown that he is likely to be assaulted and that law enforcement will not intervene. Do you really want to go down this road?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you quote suggests that antifa are typically non-violent.

I remember this protest in Seattle in 1999 - great people, very peaceful. They were the best.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about them? There was a guy that shot his gun at an antifa or something, he was later arrested for unlawful discharge of a fire-weapon.

Did the other people carrying weapons did it illegally?

He is on trial for vehicle manslaughter isn't he?

Yes Police should keep the groups apart, they knew about the Nazis, did they underestimate the presence of the anti-nazis?

Yesterday we had a protest in Chicago, I believe it was a pro-immigration protest, they had a shit lot of cops on bikes surrounding the protesters.

I guess the city has experience with this stuff, Charlottesville did not.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chalottesville police ********ed up, and everybody knows this. Unfortunately, sometimes this shit happens. Memphis had their own ******** up in 1999 (around that time). KKK has a march down though downtown and there was a real mess. But they learned, and in 2014 (I think) the KKK had another protest at the courthouse on a Saturday. Police fenced off and closed the surround 4 to 6 square blocks. I lived close by, and apart from that fencing, it was just another Saturday.

I understand why you might think the antifa are useful, but they are making things worse by increasing the level of violence present.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of the things that I find alarming is that they are adamantly de-centralized and anti-hierarchical. I can see why they would be on ideological grounds. But that can lead to real problems on a practical level. First and foremost, it means you'll have to electoral impact (which bothers, I'm betting, none of them).

Furthermore, that makes them super-easy to infiltrate (I'm betting that pretty much any picture of antifa in action will have an FBI informant in the shot). And worst, this also exposes them to infiltration by right-wingers who could easily claim to be antifa, fire off a few weapons in the general direction of police or random people, and disappear back to the alt-right internet realm. That would be pretty bad.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #1515 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    I posted it before, but clergy members in Charlottesville said Antifa saved them vicious beatings from Nazis and possibly worse. White punks with shields and batons against middle age clergy. 1 side drove a Charger into non-violent marchers from the other side. I remember saying to the Mrs when the media started doing shots from Charlottesville "where are all the fing cops?" Inexcusable. VSP & CPD weren't even on the same radio frequency to coordinate. Charlottesville didnt realize they could ban people from carrying shields. They said "let them fight for awhile" A clusterf#ck from the start all the way to the limp, lifeless body lying in the street at the end.

fatbastard and sitruc repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #1516 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Makes ya wonder how much infiltration TrumpCo is doing with Nazis. We know the answer

The 15 violent attacks—five of them since Charlottesville—have been investigated and prosecuted by local and federal authorities. When the suspect in the Charlottesville attack was charged with hate crimes in late June, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement, “Today’s indictment should send a clear message to every would-be criminal in America that we aggressively prosecute violent crimes of hate that threaten the core principles of our nation.” Yet, according to a senior federal law enforcement official who is knowledgeable about domestic attacks, the Trump administration has not focused on thwarting danger from far-right groups. “I’ve seen nothing to indicate it’s a priority,” the official told me recently.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2018/07/donald-trump-white-supremacists-terrorism/

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I keep saying, white people can't be terrorists, and none of you seem to understand. Fortunately, the Trump administration does.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even worse than not focusing on stopping them, they've completely dismantled (and I'm sure leaked names of planted insiders/informants) any gov't entities that used to focus on or study right-wing terrorist or wanna-be terrorist organizations - in the FBI, DOJ, CIA, DEA, everywhere. They have pretty much free reign to organize/mobilize at this point.
    Luckily the NRA is in a self-caused free-fall or it could be even worse.

sitruc, Cascarino's Pizzeria and dapip repped this.
  19. ?? What do you mean?

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The NRA's revenue from members is down somewhat, and there arecomplaints about how the organization is meddling too much in global politics (as in hobnobbing with Russian agents). But the evidence is mostly anecdotal.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1521 soccernutter, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Those might be anecdotal, but there is a substantial drop in membership fees and other income is quite notable. They are currently in a free fall.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by them being in a free-fall, or that it could be worse if they were a healthy functioning organization, not under increased scrutiny?

If the latter, the NRA would be happy to provide assistance to alt-right groups if given the chance as they all feed into the fear tactics the NRA employs to increase their gun-manufacturer-outreach (they are mainly a lobbying organization for manufacturers after all). Luckily NRA TV and their executive officers are embroiled in controversy around excessive fear tactics and Russian influence right now so they can't help as much as they'd probably like.
    Their presidents alone are a hot mess of suck lately.

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I didn't watch NRA-TV, but I'm pretty confident the Kenyan Commie was portrayed as eeevil and a comin' fer yer guns

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Their real problem is that they also became a Right-Wing grift but too many grifters got on board. Combine the excessive and lavish spending of their executives with a relatively modest decline in revenue (partly due to their cahooting with Russia) and you have an organization in tail spin.

Their views and influence in certain circles are still alive, but they're short on money (since most of it is being funneled to the pockets of executives via third party marketing schemes) and they cannot longer parade along with Republican politicians, so yeah, they're very ineffective right now.

Dr. Wankler and fatbastard repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    charlie15 and sitruc repped this.