Charlotte MLS Expansion Superthread

Discussion in 'Charlotte FC' started by G Enriquez, Jan 29, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    working without the Charlotte Independence USL team just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, but what do I know?

2. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Well they may use them for their "2" team, at least that would be the smartest thing to do. I know that Indy has a current deal with Colorado Rapids that may be a hinderence to a partnership. Plus I don't believe the Smith's are too interested on having a partner.

3. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? I feel bad for the Independence owner because I think he has way more passion for the sport itself than Bruton Smith does, but it's not like the Independence have gained any popularity since they began playing. Don't even fill half their stadium. Fully ready for a NASCAR-themed name

4. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    They don't but 1,500 per game would be okay for a squad out in South Charlotte, Matthews, Pineville, Fort Mill, etc would be okay for a "2" team. Especially with a playoff contending roster that would give you a base to build around while you set up an academy. I get that the Smith's don't seem like they will involve outsiders and the fact that Indy hasn't made many fans. It just makes sense for both sides imo. On one side, you basically get an owner who can fund the whole thing (who you also admitted doesn't seem to have THAT much passion for the sport) and, on the other side, you get an employee who can run the day to day of an already established and competitive reserve team who also has more interest and knowledge of the game and it's culture. Those kind of perfect marraiges almost never happen though...cause greed and pride I guess.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  5. amadora2700

amadora2700 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlo...icle128535984.html?client=ms-android-boost-us

Sounds like it's mostly supported (about 2:3 in most examples given). I guess it comes down to the city vote because I honestly feel MLS wants Charlotte to complete it's SE setup (ATL, ORL, MIA/TB, CLT). If this fails then Raleigh gains some big momentum but I don't know if much has developed on a stadium site up there. I am dissapointed that the Smith's don't seem to have their hearts all the way into this (no poll on potential supporter/fan interest to bring to the forum) and I'm praying that the Hounds/Independence are allowed to be involved somehow because, they have the passion just not the pockets.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    If the city declines I honestly do not know how that would influence the county but, it does put the bid in a position where they would be about $50mil short for the new stadium. I hope it passess because I've been reading that the money they plan to use can not be used for teachers/education (which is what most of the opposition seems to be saying the money should go to). Honestly the Smith's have the money to do what Orlando City did but I don't get the feeling they are as willing to make that kind of contribution or commitment.

10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The motion passed by the county today, I'm kinda somewhat surprised. Onto the city tomorrow, I think. Kinda confused by how the whole thing works

11. amadora2700

amadora2700 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
  12. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
  13. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    First rendering I have found of the new stadium.

Attached Files:

14. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the (synthetic?) brick on the exterior of that stadium. Hope it gets built eventually

15. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    The rendering supposedly belong to the Independence, somehow Smith ended up using them in his proposal.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amadora2700 repped this.
  17. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    The Observer's editorial board (among other groups and individuals) thinks the county's deal with Smith might be in violation of North Carolina's Constitution, if it was found to be it'd be rendered null and void.

Here's the state's constitution, the relevant selection is Article V, Section 4 (3).

The way that's being interpreted is that since Mecklenburg's taxpayers didn't approve it by referendum then it's invalid.

18. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on right now (haven't followed as closely as I should have and I'm lost at this point) but sounds like our only hope right now is Smith paying out of his own pocket. And I don't see it happening as much as it upsets me. I think we really had a great shot at it. And now the future of the Independence is in jeopardy, looks like us Charlotte soccer fans could be out of a local club to support again by 2018.

19. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Marcus Smith is indeed moving on without the city. He tweeted today CLT will have their bid turned in tomorrow. Getttt innnnnnnn!