Charlotte Independence Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by lmfoust, Jan 15, 2014.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would think that Charlotte will be the city for the pro soccer future.
    Raleigh is heavily surrounded by ACC universities where sports like basketball, lacrosse, and soccer are big. Now with the ACC having evolved into a major college football conference as well will also be sitting at center stage.
    Now the NHL works better in Raleigh as a pro sport with ACC and college hockey not. It also gave the Raleigh Area the modern PNC Arena in getting built having a major pro sports tenant in the Hurricanes to go with NC State mens basketball. With all the modern bells and whistles and large capacity as a great site for major sports and entertainment events. regular site for NCAA basketball and big time concerts.

2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just me, but it sounds like a women's team.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was.

independence.jpg

Though I don't know why the word "independence," taken out of the idea that there was a women's team of that name, would specifically evoke that. It's neither a masculine nor feminine name.

4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It does sound like a women's team. Charlotte did have the W-League Lady Eagles under the old non profit ownership.
    Is the new ownership group also purchasing the Women's side as well?
    With the re-brand the Women's club could be the Independence.
    Like the USLPro Charlotte looking to take the step to the MLS in the future. Charlotte could also be a great location for the W-League club to also take the step to the NWSL as well in the future. Carolina has a good Women's soccer presence as well especially at the NCAA Level.
    Charlotte being the main pro sports city in the Carolina's having the Men's/Women's brother sister set up aiming at the highest pro levels. With a NWSL Carolina club having the reno'd American Legion stadium a third pro tenant.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion is that Charlotte should worry about a USL Pro team first and a women's team much much later.

Just like Orlando.

Bluesfan repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they talking about a women's team?

I agree, they would be putting the cart before the horse. But I had not heard they were also considering a women's team.

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue why I thought it, just sounds like a women's team name. Just doesn't sound like a good team name to me either -- which may be something I attribute to many women's teams (not to be sexist).

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Certainly securing the USL Pro side first would be wise. Down the road as the organization develops along with the stadium. There does seem to be a need for support other then the NCAA programs.

9. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Kenn, you are slipping. ;) Consider the source. CFL Steve just chatters away with the same BS no matter what thread it happens to be. He is nothing but consistent.

Charlotte is saying what nearly every other minor league owner does and says their real goal is MLS. So that is all it takes to get old Stevo wound up and chattering about academies, womens teams, etc.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1776 or 1861? :sneaky:

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But aren't the Eagles just self-relegating to PDL?

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "professional" part is the key section of that sentence.

The club will continue to exist, obviously. The pro part will not. And they have been a professional club longer than almost anyone. Far longer than they had a right to. That's what's unfortunate.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood and agreed.

14. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll find out a ton a week from tomorrow. I'm also hearing Charlotte Independence will be the name but I don't like that because when I hear "Charlotte Independence" I instantly think of the big high school in Charlotte that used to be a football powerhouse. I wish they would just roll with Queen City Soccer Club. Either way I'm excited about this new direction for Charlotte Soccer. I never cared for the Charlotte Eagles, but this new team has my full support. I will buy a jersey and scarf, I would buy season tickets but I'm in college right now too far from Charlotte to get my moneys worth. My dream is MLS soccer in Charlotte, and Memorial Stadium would be a perfect venue. I can't wait to do my part and give this team my full support and hope that one day they'll become an MLS team. #PrepareToDeclare

Once I find out the official team name Liverpool FC won't be showing up beside "My club" anymore.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are certainly not the first person who has expressed that sentiment, and I wonder if that would be problematic with them.

That doesn't appear to be happening.

Not without a whoooooooooole bunch of renovation, it wouldn't. Not in MLS in 2024 or whenever it might be, certainly.

16. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of renovation are you hearing it needs? It already holds plenty of people for MLS, I'm hearing it mainly just needs some upgrades to improve the gameday environment. I hope they at least make it Charlotte Independence SC

sounds like they'll also be able to get games broadcasted locally which would be huge

17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It appears that it is upgrades for game day experience is what will be taking place. With the MLL Lacrosse Charlotte playing there now and partnering placing both clubs under one synergy plan. The MLL Hounds went through the same thing when naming the club and chose the city name over Queen City or Carolina. Also likely why the Charlotte Independence is on the board over QCFC at this point anyway.
    Local TV coverage also likely with the MLL Hounds already involved with local network both clubs packaged together

18. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is a need. I'm pretty sure MLS, the NASL, and the ASL are the only three US leagues to allow a team to not have an American-style nickname.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like Arizona United? Or Louisville City? Or St. Louis FC?

20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They must have changed the rule recently, because as recently as Orlando City (Lions) joining the league, the requirement was in place.

21. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought USL Pro was changing it's name to MLS II? :sneaky:

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No place in this thread.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slow news day/week/month on the NASL expansion boards?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn...I am going to be out of town next Wednesday and cannot make it to Hoolligans, but holy crap this is starting to really get me excited.

like fidelcashflo said - I cannot wait to post the Charlotte club name as "my club".

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were probably waiting for the Eagles' season to end before making any announcements.

Ugh, American Legion Memorial Stadium... Just looked it up, it's pretty much built for handegg. I'd love to find out how lacrosse is working out there, much less how soccer will turn out.