Charlotte Independence Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by lmfoust, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
  2. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get talkin about USL Pro's next expansion franchise! What should it be called?

[​IMG]
    Queen City Soccer Club
    5 hours ago
    Update: The operating company will be known as Queen City Soccer Club LLC. We will launch a Name the Team Campaign in the coming weeks to determine the name, identity, look and feel of your new Charlotte USL Pro soccer team. Get those juices flowing! Stay Tuned for more details.

Queen City Soccer ClubWe'll get into the nitty gritty fine print official launch later but keep in mind for now, as you go all Walter Mitty, that USL Pro will require use of "Charlotte" in the team name. Spread the word, mates. We'll talk soon!#grassroots#CLTsoccer#USLPro2015
    Like · Reply · 1 · 5 hours ago

San Diego Socker repped this.
  3. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish they could keep the name Queen City SC.

But others might be:

FC Charlotte

Rapid Charlotte FC

Fortuna Charlotte FC

4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    USL requires the city name to be in the team name?
    Please tell me you are joking.

5. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope...Charlotte will have to be in the name.

Those are only my suggestions. Have you got any?

Keep checking their FB page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/queencitysc

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

wellington repped this.
  7. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Queen City FC/SC is actually pretty good if you aren't going to go with a standard name.

FC Charlotte? Boring.

Rapid Charlotte FC? Is this a reference to NASCAR, but in German? Kind of weird. The average person won't get it.

Fortuna Charlotte FC? Again with the German (or Latin). I can't say anymore and be polite.

Why not something nice and simple. Charlotte Eagles wasn't bad, so why not something like Charlotte Gold? It ties into the city's history in two different ways and also was the name of the USL team back in 1984.

If you can't to go with a NASCAR connection, Charlotte Racers.

Carolina Flying Squirrels would be a fun name that honors an endangered species in the area.

Charlotte Gold or Carolina Flying Squirrels gets my vote.

8. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Fortuna and Rapid are out, then surely we can't take Flying Squirrels seriously!! :eek:

My thinking was that Charlotte is a racing and banking hub, so why not go for that angle. Plus Mecklenburg is a county named after a German region.

But let's put our heads together...I also thought about racers in another thread and had come up with Racing Carolina FC/SC. Pretty sure that won't fly though because of SC/South Carolina confusion and that USL Pro is now, oddly, requiring city names, which is an interesting statement about how the league is starting to define itself.

I started to think about Charlotte Monarchs, but remembered there was once a WNBA team named that, which might not fly with the hardcore supporters.

The gold rush idea has something...which is why I also thought about Rapid (how fast the city has grown, people rushing to Charlotte to strike it rich, etc). Gold itself seems a little abstract and could lend itself to criticism if Charlotte can't win itself a trophy anytime soon. What about...

Charlotte Seekers
    Charlotte Citizens FC
    Charlotte Prospectors SC

In some ways though I don't think a club name has to appeal to the 'average person' anymore. The point is to create something rather unique, either to Charlotte or the Carolinas. Think about Sac Republic...the average American sports fan doesn't cheer for a Republic. SRFC have capitalised on something undeniably Californian. The same should be done for Carolina teams going forward. But then again, a name based on a Bundesliga team wouldn't be the first time we looked to Germany for soccer inspiration! ;)

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Racing Charlotte is a win on many levels.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just going off of the Queen City concept:

Charlotte Sovreign FC
    Charlotte Reign FC
    Charlotte Glory FC
    Charlotte Majesty FC
    Charlotte Majestic FC
    Charlotte Empire FC
    Charlotte Empires FC
    Charlotte Monarchs FC
    Charlotte Premiere (premiere is another name for monarch
    Charlotte Queen City SC (just added Charlotte to the original concept then you could call it Queen City for short)

note: just added fc could be sc,ac,dc,or anything you want. it doesn't really matter to me

11. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish this note came at the end of every soccer branding ever in the US

12. Needschat

Needschat Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Charlotte Chivalry
    Charlotte Racers
    Charlotte Wheels
    Charlotte Wheelers

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arizona is not a city.

No, there wasn't.

I mean, there was a WNBA team called the Monarchs, but they played in Sacramento, not Charlotte. Charlotte's WNBA team was the Sting.

Also, the "hardcore supporters" are 3% of the audience, but insist on being catered to 97% of the time.

"Racing," while interesting, is also Europosing and could lead to confusion in the marketplace, given how important racing is to the region.

Spare us all the FC and SC and AC bullshit, which is lazy and derivative. But I agree that something unique and indigenous is best, as long as it doesn't take 30 seconds to explain.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, glad you swooped in to the conversation and graced this thread with your negativity.

Racing is no more Europosing than the sport of football itself (see Racing Club de Avellaneda...111 years old)

Why not allow people who are from the region to imagine and discuss something that is relevant to them? Thanks.

Anyways, I also think this new policy about USL Pro and city names is ridiculous, but that's what Queen City Soccer LLC messaged to their fans on Facebook and seems to be proving itself right with most of the new expansion announcements.

Wheelers isn't such a bad idea. Definitely unique.

Hope more people post some ideas.

San Diego Socker repped this.
  15. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Charlotte Thunder

Ties into racin' heritage and summertime afternoon thunderstorms. Colors gold and sky blue.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed, and you're welcome.

Yawn.

In a completely fanboyish way! Awesome! You go, girl!

If it's a policy, it's been put in place since March, because, again, "Arizona" is not the name of a city.

17. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Could go out of the box and do something related to aviation. Being in North Carolina they have historic ties to flight (even if it took place on the Outer Banks) and CLT is a huge airport which also serves as home to the 145th Airlift Wing from the NC ANG. Unless I'm mistaken Charlotte also houses a huge aviation museum. The whole industry is very important to them.

Anything related to transportation might work. It's Charlotte's biggest industry outside of banking, and really, no one wants to brand a team with a banking identity.

18. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Charlotte Thunder, out of all the suggested names. I'll throw in Charlotte Cardinals as a potential name.

19. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    How about No Class FC (NCFC) in honor of UNC?

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering UNC is 2 hours away in Chapel Hill, um... no?

mbsc and CHHSfan repped this.
  21. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Have you ever seen a map in your life? Even one? UNC isn't even the closest ACC school to Charlotte, let alone the closest major school.

CHHSfan and mbsc repped this.
  22. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Lol, Your objection to that name is distance? - you guys take stuff way too seriously, but if the team was closer to "Chapel Hill" it would be ok? Hey, but thanks for the geography lesson, way to make a point.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain that distance is a very important factor.

Let's face it, something about UNC makes you dislike them so you thought the Charlotte USL thread would be a fun place to troll. Unwanted and unwelcomed. Consider this your warning.

24. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte Queen City.
    Charlotte Thunder.

Best suggestions I've seen so far.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta give him that one. Trolling, yes, but you guys missed his point. Geography didn't invalidate the pseudo-point.