Charlotte Independence Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by lmfoust, Jan 15, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the signing. ALso wish we would bring back Zahorski, he's a really good finisher

CLTFC repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.crowntownsoccer.com/independence-announces-preseason-schedule/

Charlotte Independence’s preseason matches:
    DATE TIME OPPONENT LOCATION COST
    Saturday, Feb 27 2:00PM NC State OrthoCarolina Sportsplex Free, standing room only
    Thursday, Mar 3 9:45AM Winthrop University Manchester Meadows Free
    Saturday, Mar 5 2:00PM UNC Chapel Hill Stax Charlotte $5 at the door, free for STHs
    Saturday, Mar 12 1:00PM Carolina Railhawks Stax Charlotte $5 at the door, free for STHs
    Sunday, Mar 13 2:00PM Davidson College Alumni Soccer Stadium Free
    Saturday, Mar 19 6:00PM UNC Charlotte Transamerica Field Free

4. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    We did but it appears he wanted to move back to Poland. Signed with a first division club there.

5. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Slogic is back! Now we can field a full XI

Mizell| Slogic Duckett Kalungi Metcalf |Hilton Ekra Enzo Alex| Herrera Estrada

CLTFC repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.crowntownsoccer.com/expect-less-rapids-minutes-this-season/

according to a couple folks surrounding both the Independence coaching staff and those in Denver, Charlotte isn’t too impressed with the Rapids draft picks and have told the Rapids that the first focus is on results on the field and any Rapids players won’t be guaranteed a spot.

8. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I see stadium issues have already began for this year.

9. Crazy Feet

Crazy Feet Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Do tell.

10. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I don't have the best understanding of how affiliate association works here, so I'm confused. When a MLS team that has a reserve squad drafts a player they sign a USL contract no? This story makes it seem like the Rapids are signing players and unloading them on the independence without a USL contract...

Why don't the rapids get their own reserve team as opposed to drafting junk, signing it and shipping it away?

11. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Affiliation basically means that the MLS team makes a few players on their MLS roster available at no cost to their USL affiliate. The USL affiliate is under no obligation to play these players. This can be as little as what you saw between SJ and Sacramento last year or as much as what you may see between Harrisburg and Philly where several players get significant minutes. For a small team like Harrisburg, having good, free players is part of what allows them to survive.

However, the Charlotte-Colorado relationship goes beyond that slightly, to an extent that really isn't clear. Charlotte has ceded at least partial control of their autonomy to Colorado (for instance hiring coaches that Colorado picked) in exchange for reasons that aren't entirely clear. Perhaps financial benefits, perhaps some other help from Colorado. However, basically what the article is saying is like I said above: the team is under no obligation to play players sent down to them. Colorado may say "here are the 4 players we'd like to offer to you this season" and the Independence may say "fine, but we don't have to play them if we think they're not better than what we currently have". The Independence aren't paying their salaries, MLS is so it doesn't really cost Charlotte anything to have them on the roster. It may end up that Colorado doesn't want to send players down that aren't going to get game time and would rather them train with their first team.

Players drafted by MLS teams that don't make the first team roster may sign a USL contract with their USL reserve team or maybe not. Just depends on if the MLS team thinks their is value in it and if the player will accept being on the USL team. It's no different than if a drafted player decides to forgo MLS/couldn't get an MLS offer and sign with any other non-MLS club.

Colorado, and many other MLS teams, don't have their own real USL reserve team because that costs more money. That's basically it. It's cheaper for them to just affiliate and send down a few players per year.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing is if the Rapids are still involved in hiring, especially if Brian Crookham still has a leadership position with Charlotte, its going to be hard for the coach (who could possibly be fired by somebody from Colorado) to say, no, I'm not going to play these Colorado players.

13. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh no.

14. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Guessing you mean the switch from Stax to Wingate. Not really as that is a move from their practice facility with tore up grass to a turf field available last minute.

Ramblewood likely won't have issues. Preseason can't be held there because the county only allows the team a 6 month occupancy permitting for their stadium. To fit the season in that means the permit has to be issued the day before the home opener. With an extension being needed if the team makes the playoffs. Not really a team issue but the best they can do to comply with the county in their current situation.

15. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the clarification...

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.crowntownsoccer.com/rapids-loan-calvert-appiah/

If Independence lines up like how I think they'll be lining up, Appiah will be competing directly with another first year pro for minutes in the starting lineup - Lynn College grad Lewis Hilton, who was one of the team's first signings in the winter. Appiah will need to work hard to impress the coaching staff in Charlotte or fill in admirably for Hilton should he pick up a knock in order to earn himself some starts in the regular season. He should be able to see a full ninety in US Open Cup play, which Charlotte will enter on May 18th against a USASA, NPSL or PDL club.

With the team's main forwards from the 2015 season gone and the only out-and-out forward on the roster being Christopher Hellmann, Calvert should see his playing time significantly increase in 2016

17. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    http://www.charlotteindependence.co...jun-marques-davidson-signs-with-independence/

Davidson seems like a good experienced signing. Definitely can see the back lines as the obvious strength of the team on paper at least. Still a little concerned with our attacking strength. I'm bullish on Hellmann as it seems that he finds the net wherever he plays. Another forward on trial is Norberto Ochoa who seems to have all the physical makeup you look for in a striker but again he's fresh out of college so yet another unproven commodity.

18. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte

Thanks for providing the facts regarding the stadium news, maybe it's me but it seems like the city/county are the biggest obstacle standing between where the organization is now and where it ultimately wants to be (MLS). Does anybody know if we will possibly see Hairston back on the squad at any point this year? Or has he earned his way to being a regular on Colorado's first team roster?

19. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also how good can Herrera still be at like 36 lol

20. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    My guess for loanees is we'll see Calvert, Appiah all season. Berner/Froschauer when Tim Howard joins the club. As to the fourth loanee your guess is as good as mine. Could be Hairston but I think the club favors him too much to loan him back to us. Though when Jermaine Jones joins that fills another roster spot in that defender/midfielder space so it's not too far fetched.

And as Fidel mentioned one post above Herrera is like 36 so it'd be nice to have Hairston as added midfield depth. Berner did well for us but there's probably little argument that Hairston was our most exciting loanee last season. Excited to get back out to Ramblewood this weekend! Hope everyone can make it.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is that you guys get Berner when Howard joins and Froschauer will be cut. We still have a roster spot open and an international spot unused. Draftee Dennis Castillo (who is an international) is still training with the team, I wouldn't be shocked to see him signed and loaned to Charlotte.

Stuart95 repped this.
  22. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Thanks! I knew you all had another draftee that had potential to come down but didn't see Castillo on the team roster when I was making my guess as to who the fourth loanee would be. That makes much more sense.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team: