News: Charlie Davies Updates - News & Well Wishes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    ABSOLUTELY NO SPECULATION IN THIS THREAD

Please respect this thread as a news thread & a well wish's thread. Unless you have an update, or well wish's do not post. In USA Men you will find a discussion thread.

Here's the press release from US Soccer.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...ery-and-in-Serious-buut-Stable-Condition.aspx

Davies Suffered Broken Tibia and Femur, Elbow Fracture and Laceration of Bladder

“Injuries of this nature usually require a recovery period of six to 12 months and extensive rehabilitation,” said U.S. Soccer physician Dr. Dan Kalbac, who is with the team in D.C. and collaborated with the treating doctors. ”Due to Charlie’s fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and his ability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved.”

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Charlie Davies Updates - News & Well Wishes ONLY

SportsCenter led off with a report. Nothing was said that we didn't already know. However, they continue to say it is not known if Charlie was the driver. Of course Wahl and Goff have said numerous times today/tonight Charlie wasn't the driver. Nonetheless, has opened the eyes to casual fans and I hope their support and sadness extends to all the parties involved. It's been a crazy, sad day. I just hope Charlie and his friend make full recoveries and pray for the Roberta family.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Yep, we know this now.

As for other things, we know that the girl who passed away (RIP Ashley J. Roberta), was not the driver, and as far as I know we don't know the status of the driver.

4. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My prayers are with you Charlie, and the others with you in the accident and everybody affected by it.

Make a full recovery and try your best to overcome this terrible situation.

You've got a lot of people behind you and one even bigger, "the Man upstairs".

Get well soon!

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Washington Hospital Center
    110 Irving St. NW
    Washington DC 20010

Let's put the usmail carriers to work!

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

7. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. At 22 her life had really just begun.

Speedy recovery to Charlie, we are thinking of you.

8. natsalways

natsalways Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Missouri

My prayers and well wishes go out to Charlie and all the people involved in this terrible accident.

I am in DC on business and several of my business partners were late for work today because of this accident. I thought then how terrible it is. Now I am even more saddened.

It makes me even more happy to be able to get to the game tomorrow, however, because I think it will be a truly emotional night and I will be very happy to be able to have the opportunity to express my my feelings by cheering on my favorite team in their moment of trial.

Blessings Charlie. Get healthy, and take the lesson you have been given to make your life, and the lives around you, better.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Such a sad day for US soccer. Thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie's friends and family, and also to the friends and family of Ashley Roberta.

They just ran the story on the local news on WJLA - ABC, channel 7. The commentator mentioned that the accident happened "just south of the Memorial Bridge" and that the car was heading south.

This Google Map gives a rough idea of the general area, which has a huge curve to the right after a relatively straight stretch of road. It's a pretty dangerous part of the road.

10. cswan

cswan Member

May 13, 1999
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I created this artistic collage in tribute to Charlie. Evidently I can't post so the image shows in the thread (you have to have BigSoccer Premium to do this?). Anyway I posted to my Flickr account. Unfortunately it doesn't show as actual size, it shows smaller.

I hope you all enjoy it & here's to Charlie in hopes of a successful recovery & my condolences to the family of the deceased, Ashley Roberta.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40610595@N02/4010421598/

11. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Nice stuff man, Charlie's really became a hero to many of us. It's a shame this had to happen for all of this love to come out.

RIP Ashley Roberta.

12. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas

good stuff man.

13. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

Thank you for this. Will be using it. All condolences to Charlie, his family and loved ones, as well as those of the deceased. All of us in the community have seen Charlie and his motivation as a player and as an individual, we wish him godspeed in his recovery.

I must admit, its impossible to sleep.

14. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut

Ive meant to do work all evening but i cant get this out of my mind.

Get Well Soon Charlie and RIP Ashley Roberta.

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simply, BOSS.
    + rep from these artistic eyes.

16. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

Condolences to the young lady who lost her life.

Positive energy to Charlie - this is a very serious injury but after reading some of the details of it, I am somewhat relieved. Obviously that they weren't more severe than they were - with the mood of everything I was fearing cranial damage of some kind.

He seems to be a fighter and we can all give him good positive energy to stay mentally and emotionally strong through his recuperation.

It must be devastating to be one of the few people on the planet with an opportunity to start in a World Cup, and see that potentially slip away. It will take a lot of fortitude to fight back for that dream and not slip into a negative place - and I hope the fans can give him the support he needs to stay positive. Soccer may seem trivial right now, but representing your country, being a hero to so many, is a great dream to fight for and to be an inspiration to many others.

He is living a blessed life and though I know very little about him, he seems to be well deserving.

Best wishes Charlie, we're thinking of you.

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Charlie, I wish I could give you a long, strong hug right now. You've become my favorite player in the world, ever, this year. You embody everything that is good about the sport, always with a smile on your face, giving all that you've got. I'm so sorry that you lost a friend, and that you and another friend are in a hospital right now, with a million thoughts going through your heads about how it should have been different. I'm so sorry. Be strong Charlie. Know that we all love you.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved and connected to the crash.

And to Charlie: If you work hard enough you WILL be back on the field again at top form. Don't let anything else cross your mind. We're behind you.

Regards,
    Christopher

19. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut

I saw someone make a get well blog for fans to express their support for Eduardo after his injury and ive deceided to do the same for Charlie:

http://getwellsooncharlie.wordpress.com/

feel free to post your prayers and well wishes there.

20. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My thoughts and condolences to Ashley's family, as well as the family of the yet unnnamed other victim of the crash.

As for you, Charlie, you know how we all feel.

You captured this nation's heart with your tenacity and determination, and we're here to support you as you use those qualities to recover and make it back on the pitch for the USA.

I hope that not only the USA fans tomorrow, but his brothers on the team take full advantage of this opportunity and make DAMN sure that Charlie, who will certainly be watching, is brought to tears of joy and appreciation when he sees what he really means to us all.

Take care everybody, and don't stop praying for this fantastic young man.

brian

21. Mille_RULZ

Mille_RULZ New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    New JACK City, NY

Charlie... please recuperate. My prayers are with you.

22. Squan

Squan Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just really happy that Charlie will eventually lead a normal life again.

Thinking of you CD!

23. kemgooner

kemgooner New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Connecticut

im going to try to sleep now, but i just wanted to say that i hope those people who looked at the site but did not post a message can because I think it would be really great to have one place where Charlie can see the overwhelming support of the US fans and just fans of soccer in general instead of have it spread out across the internet.

24. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was a huge blow in the gut for me.... But for now my thoughts and prayers are with a guy that in a short time became one of my fav nat players....

Get well soon Charlie....

Anyone now the news out of France about this????

Get Well soon Charlie..... We are all pulling for you.

25. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Charlie, love watching you play the game, man, and you make all of us U.S supporters proud with your hardcore grit and determination. Use that same resolve to get yourself better, we wanna see you kicking butt in the World Cup next summer!!!!!!