Charlie Davies Updates II

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats that mean? Why wouldn't a miraculously fully fit Davies not be one of the greatest things to ever happen to US Soccer?

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    We'll see......said the blind man.

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Charlie Davies....fully fit...is an average (at best) International striker. Ask Bradley who he would prefer....DeFoe or Davies......Davies being injured has miraculously turned him into one of the greatest strikers of all time.

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well sure he's average internationally, but he's way better than Brian Ching, Robbie Findle, Conor Casey or Eddie Johnson. The US doesn't have alot of people who can put it in the back of the net.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Not sure I agree with this at all.....2 years (or so) ago Davies was hardly even on the radar.

6. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And? He was 21 years old and just starting to play with Hammarby. Does a player have to have some kind of awesome life long pedigree in order to be considered a good player?

He was making his way up the ladder, no one can deny that.

7. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the injury and the recovery has made him one of the greatest sports stories of all-time. His quality can be debated, but the team's record with him cannot:
    3-0 W (goal) vs. Egypt
    2-0 W vs. Spain
    3-2 (assist) L vs. Brazil
    2-1 L (goal) at Azteca
    2-1 W vs. El Salvador
    1-0 W vs. T&T
    3-2 W (assist) at Honduras

That type of production and winning percentage makes him the most effective US striker since Brian McBride. 30 minutes of Charlie Davies at 50% is worth more than 90 minutes from a healthy alternative other than Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, and Ching.

I still can't fathom how some people can't see that even if Davies goes to South Africa he might not be used for more than 20-30 minutes a game. And really, if Cunningham, Findley, Casey, Cooper etc go, would they be used for more than 20-30 minutes? Would anyone want them to play more than 20-30 minutes? I wouldn't.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND? A year ago he wasn't even on WCQ rosters. He only played in 1 of the first 5 qualifiers.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

but this is the point....he basically came from nowhere, had a couple of 1/2 decent games and.....all of a sudden...he's the saviour..??

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of half decent games? Apparently you were just watching from a different perspective than EVERYONE ELSE.

And saviour? That's your own exaggeration, not anyone else's.

11. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't consider Davies a 'savior'. I do consider him our best option to pair with Jozy. The kid had some special qualities, he basically turned around the Confed Cup by out hustling the Egyptians, and then scored the first goal by an American in Azteca in who knows how long.

He's no slouch.

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

.....and he ain't no Wayne Rooney either....

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one said he was. Once again, your own exaggerations.

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

47 pages of posts....?? you'd think he was Freddie Adu or somesuch.....

15. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The kid almost died. Sue us if we want to feel inspired by someone trying to come back from a personal tragedy.

And who in the world would compare Charlie Davies and Wayne Rooney? Show me that quote in this thread.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's a nice little player.

Remember, after the Confederations Cup, he was sold to Socheaux and then received several Ligue 1 "team of the week" honors.

I actually don't think it's all that unlikely for him to reach that level by June, 12.

That still won't make him a Wayne Rooney, obviously, but he wasn't Wayne Rooney before his accident either.

17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Charlie might be ineffective. I'm not arguing that. But we already know what Findley, Cooper, and Cunningham have to offer, and it's jack shit. I'll take my chances with a less than 100% Charlie.

It doesn't change anything. You're a family friend of the Coopers and haven't posted a single objective thing about our player pool, especially the strikers, ever. You have a personal agenda and a personal bias. Hence, your opinions on any matter relating to the U.S. national team are worthless, especially our depth at striker.

18. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Two years ago or so Davies was barely out of college jackass.

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    neither is Kenny Cooper. But Charlie Davies is a shit-ton better than Cooper.

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

not familiar with "college jackass"......they play soccer there...??

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's a small school. Division 1-A.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

A personal tragedy he brought on himself.....personally I have NO sympathy for the guy.

23. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lolol

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Yeah...and a large percentage of our senior national team pool is pulled directly from college.

You're just coming off as stupid, and everyone can see through what you're trying to do.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    you learn something new every day....