Charlie Davies Transfer News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by mrt/MLS, Aug 4, 2016.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did not.

2. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not happy with the move either, but Charlie and his family aren't exactly moving to a medical wasteland. Boston Children's and CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) have been switching off #1 and #2
    Children's hospitals in the country for years. Univ of Pennsylvania isn't exactly chopped liver (sorry, bad choice of words) when it comes to Oncology care either. If he signed off on the trade, I'll give him credit for having factored in his family's needs as well as the football implications.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinHD repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is getting ugly.

MLSinHD repped this.
  5. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to know how to take that. It could just mean Philly approached the Revs, rather than the reverse.

This is one of those meh trades, with both teams just tinkering around the margins. Nonetheless, for the Revs, it's the only action that happened at all this week. While other teams were busy buying and selling, the Revs just sat on the sideline.

I wish we had made a play for Le Toux, or even Diskerud, who was apparently available for a bag of balls.

mrt/MLS and NFLPatriot repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's tough to see a likeable local kid like Davies leave, I like this trade for a few reasons. As mentioned above, Charlie is 3rd on the forward depth chart in a 1 forward system so his playing time would likely be limited if he stayed. Sure, he is a good depth option but with 1 goal in 9 appearances he hasn't really been a starting quality player this year. Besides, given the paltry returns, the forward corps needs to be revamped anyway, Agudelo will be next.

Secondly, he signed off on it so it wasn't like he was kicked out uncerimoniously. Dealing with cancer is hard (I know firsthand) but as long as he gave it his sign off, I trust his judgment. Philly is on the ascendancy so I am happy for him in a Ray-Bourque-traded-to-Colorado kind of way.

Third, the revs seem to do more with TAM than traditional player-for-player trades. Even if we don't know the amount, they have some additional money to use on a decent Kamara-esque player down the road. I hope they package the picks and TAM and get a bonafide winger (like a Bedoya...on wait)

Willing to be patient with this one. The revs probably won't make the playoffs so good for Charlie, I hope he sees a lot of success in Philly.

a517dogg repped this.
  7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was/is someone who is lined up and ready to sign, then I could somewhat understand the deal.

As it stands, this seems like a "let's become more flexible" kind of trade. It seems like a deal you make "just in case" someone becomes available. I have zero faith that this front office will be able to identify and then sign a quality player before the roster freeze.

mrt/MLS, MLSinHD and pwykes repped this.
  8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, I misread it at first. Definitely makes more sense that way, though still not exactly inspiring. Our track record in the first round has been fading in recent years....

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While everyone else is adding players, the Revs are subtracting. Sound like throwing in the towel for MLS Cup. I hope they are going all-in on the USOC...

mrt/MLS and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that about sums it up....
    Armchair Analyst: Running the rule on the transfer window for all MLS teams
    August 4, 2016, 8:25PM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Out of contract central defenders:
    Oguchi Onyewu....
    Martin Caceres, just left Juve, but rumored going to Milan
    Martin Demichelis, left Man City; 35 (!) yrs old, might go to Espanyol or back to Argentina
    Adrian Mariappa, recently of Crystal Palace, Jamaican international, rumored to Rangers but maybe Watson could convince him to come here
    Alex, formerly of Chelsea and PSG, Brazil national team callups, recently released by Milan. That might move the attendance needle.
    Brede Hangeland, recently of Crystal Palace, even an American citizen! but he announced retirement today.
    Phillipe Senderos, formerly Arsenal, most recently of Grasshoppers. We could have an all Swiss central defense with JoGo. Good luck breaking in to our vault!

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're saying Mike, but this is the kind of trade that gives the revs assets for when another Kamara opportunity comes along. Without TAM and picks, there's no way that trade would happen. Sure, we'd all like to see results now but "flexibility" doesn't hurt when there's something in the cupboard for down the road - assuming they actually use the assets.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Kamara trade would imply they pay for a third DP. That's NOT happening with this "frugal" organization.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if they spent the money on Lee or one of their current guys to turn them into a DP? Or if they got a high quality CB?

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still not going to pay for a third DP. They have to pay the league to be able to get a third DP. That's not going to happen. Because BKIASB.

Man, I'm laughing as I go through the preseason prediction thread at the comments from people.

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, 5 wins, 5 ties and 2 losses in the next 12 games and I'm in! Lets see, 6 wins in their first 22 games; then 5 wins in their next 12 games....seems reasonable to me.:whistling:

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I would turn Lee into a DP

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 games in 7 days coming up. We don't know the situation with Agudelo and Femi. And they chose to make this trade.

This has "epic results for the rest of the year" all over it.

19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the TAM roll over to next year if unused? What about the following year?

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mixed emotions. We lose a local guy who had resurrected his career here after an horrific accident. Good team guy who scored some goals for us. But let's face it. He's reached the point of diminishing returns. Over 30, and the little muscle injuries start coming with more frequency. It gets harder to stay match fit for significant periods of time.

I hope he does well for Philly, except against us.

Thanks Charlie,

ToMhIlL repped this.
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Why is that laughable? He's played plenty of forward, with us and with KC, and he's surely part of the depth chart at that position. There's no reason to think that he offers any less than Davies did at the position.
    Man, could you get any more negative?

OMG, how are we going to survive without Charlie Davies (and his 1 goal and 0 assists)? :rolleyes:

The guy's hardly played this year and when he has, he's done very little. Getting a 1st round draft pick is a coup IMO.

-------------

I think this deal is mostly about re-acquiring assets spent on Kamara - they got back a draft pick and some TAM. Combining the two deals, in essence they've traded Davies and a few random assets for Kamara.

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all true, but what do we have now to make the team better for the stretch run? We are on the bubble of possibly making the playoffs. Other teams are adding players, significant or depth, with the aim of making them better. Philly adding Davies is an example of this thinking, where they are looking to him for that extra little push. For them it could be the difference between finishing second and having to play a one-off against another team in the division, then playing another playoff game 3 days later.

23. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #48 RevsRule, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    I'll judge it for you. We got nothing. Money we'll never spend and draft picks are mostly a waste of time. The most life we've shown lately was when Davies came in and we had 2 forwards. Now we dont even have that.

When I first saw this I thought ..... maybe if we got a useful player. We got nothing. Brilliant trade guys... pure amateurs.

24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

http://www.thebentmusket.com/2016/8...sfers-charlie-davies-trade-philadelphia-union

Best (or, worst, depending on where you stand) line in the story --

"We feel that right now we have a very deep team, especially when we get everyone back and fully healthy, which they’re very close," Heaps said. "With Juan Agudelo, Femi Hollinger-Janzen, Diego [Fagundez], Kelyn [Rowe], Teal [Bunbury], and Kei Kamara, we have an attacking group that we were able to keep together. So, we feel that we have good depth there."

Deep in terms of numbers, but shallow in terms of depth quality.

Of note - he did not mention Lee.

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There appears to be some roll over:

"While MLS clubs are not required to use their initial pool of Targeted Allocation Money $100,000 each season (through to 2019), they are required to use the remaining amount (of the annual $100,000) during the following year"