Charlie Davies Transfer News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by mrt/MLS, Aug 4, 2016.

1. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Philly...

thoughts?

2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives confirmed the deal was done, but no word what we got in return.....

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Andy_B repped this.
  4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As always, it is impossible to judge these deals because MLS won't release the amount of allocation that exchanged hands.

mrt/MLS repped this.
  5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I see how the trade makes sense as we have lots of forwards; but Davies is a local kid and I loved seeing him play for us. And now we have... FOUR open roster spots.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do?

rkane1226, mrt/MLS and Crooked repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changed the Subject title to "News."

8. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Davies wanted to leave? The only explanations I'm thinking of from his side are promise of more playing time, and playing with Bedoya again (did they even play at BC together?).

If he didn't want to leave it seems like the Revs were being dicks when the guy just had cancer and had complications with his two twin daughters.

9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes to Charlie and thanks for your hard work while here.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would imagine Charlie must have requested the trade. He appears to do everything asked of him on the field, appears to be good in the room, and is at a bargain salary. He has to be one of the better bargains at striker when healthy. I would also speculate that this is all about playing time (and USMNT aspirations) and not anything to do with being unhappy with the Revs other than not enough playing time to go around in a one striker system.

rkupp repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some harsh responses to this.

I'm giving it a wait and see, with the feeling that they're going to use this money somehow THIS year to help make THIS team better. If this is for next year ... F' Burns.

MLSinHD, TheLostUniversity and mrt/MLS repped this.
  11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns is quoted as saying Charlie had to sign off or it wasn't happening. I believe him. I also get the impression that the Revs were approached by Philly, not vice versa. I believe this a little less.

If we're still acquiring GAM and TAM, it may be that we may still have a prospect in the pipeline, though that player would have to be out of contract at this point, right?

12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a puzzling trade. I gather Davies was on board, but we basically trade down in the 2018 draft (assuming Philly is in ascent and we're not - both seem likely) and get some mystery money for CD9? I don't see this as an improvement to the team.

13. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely conflicted. so it sounds like Charlie wanted to go. cant begrudge him that.

really sad to see him go though. really not sure why we let him go as we are NOT loaded at Forward by any means. and it had to be Philly of all places.

so, really not so conflicted after all? mostly confused and sad.

hopefully things work out well for Charlie.

BERich and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We play with one striker and we now have Kamara, Agudelo and Femi for that spot.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Trading up in the draft - their first round pick, our 3rd round pick.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way this makes sense to me is the Revs have a signing in the mill for this year, But then why would I expect that many of the choices Burns makes make sense to my over logical good? :rolleyes:

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just two games ago (or whatever it was in the USOC), we had literally no strikers available once Kamara left the field. Agudelo seems to be injured more often than not. While I like Femi, I have no idea if the kid is a flash in the pan. That's not depth.

If Agudelo and Femi can't play this weekend (no idea on their injury status), who's Kamara's backup? Teal? Can I stop laughing now?

RevFan repped this.
  18. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are saving up for a BIG move, I tell ya, A BIG, BIG Move! I can smell it in the air, it's a' comin'! Major blockbuster move that will Fundamentally Transform this team. .................... ah, who the heck am I kidding?
    Look, B&B Heaps, ok, I can accept us being straw in the Eastern Stable..... just take some responsibility for it, eh?

MLSinHD repped this.
  19. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Charlie played on the wing at all for you guys?

20. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I really hate this move. The Revs now have ONE healthy forward, which could change at any moment, plus more open roster spots than before. The return is pretty poor also on the surface - a probable late first round pick (not even for the next draft but the one after), a lower third round pick, and a nebulous amount of TAM.

They're also shipping out a popular hometown player, who as noted just announced LAST WEEK recently finished cancer treatment. and has been dealing with his children's premature births - and given Massachusetts has the premier oncology and pediatric health and facilities in the country, that's a REALLY dick move. Given that the Revs seemingly went out of their way to keep Kevin Alston around for an extra year (to the overall detriment of the team's roster construction), in order to help Kevin sort out *his* health issues, makes this move all the more infuriating.

MLSinHD and a517dogg repped this.
  21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Charlie first arrived (last few months of the 2013 season) and the beginning of the 2014 season Heaps tried Charlie on the wing. It did not really work out, probably for many reasons. It could work for Philadelphia if that is what they choose to do with him, but I remain convinced that he is best suited for a two forward system. He can also be effective as a "forechecking" striker in a one striker system as he has been here with the Revs.

I feel like he was misused here in NE. Perhaps he will be better utilized by the Union. It is very difficult to judge what he is capable of doing based on how he was deployed/used here with the Revs.

22. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no no, there is a a HUGE signing on the way and he's coming at the same time they break ground on that shiny new SSS in Boston, they fill up their roster, and announce their own USL side!

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, but it didn't work particularly well.
    I don't think Davies should have to sit on the bench for a year so the Revs can say they waited an appropriate amount of time - they asked him and he consented to it; that's treating a player with the respect and concern he deserves. Everything he says is that he feels like he's been treated well by everyone and is looking forward to this opportunity.

Possibly. He was used to hold the ball up with his speed, mostly. We would try to play balls towards the corners so that he could win the race, turn and play it back to the midfield moving up. That worked to a fair extent, but when we got Kamara, it was to use him as a more traditional holding forward - so it would be tough to switch that strategy based on which forward was in the lineup (although it shouldn't be!).

-----------------
    When he's been healthy this year, he hasn't been getting playing time. He's now 3rd on the depth chart when everyone is healthy and I think he could see that he wouldn't be getting a lot of playing time.

It certainly looks like his sub appearance in Orlando was a showcase, now that we know a deal was in discussion.

I like having home-grown guys as much as anyone, but I don't see Davies as a difference-maker. He's gotten chances to score (last week, earlier in the season at NYCFC) and hasn't converted them. I think he was always a guy who could help us until we got a top-line forward, which we have.

I value first-round picks more than most, so I am surprised (and pleased) with what we got in return. Philly is a good team this year, but with the way teams go up and down in MLS, who knows how they'll do next year. At this point, I'll think of it a as a mid-range first round pick. I think it's a sign that the Revs still think of themselves (for better or worse) as a team that will build primarily through the draft.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one of those is a competent starter at this point. If Kamara goes down we can play a 5-5-0 or 6-4-0 maybe...

I'm happy that they were willing to try to help the player but very frustrated that this looks ready to shape up as a window where the team gets weaker/shallower not stronger/deeper. I really don't see why Burns has done nothing. Is this anywhere near the quality team that you sit still (answer: no)?

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was just going to ask that. We have Kamara, Femi and Juan. Kamara goes down shit will hit the fan. Juan is not the player he was before his layoff. Not sure if its attitude, injury or just that he reached his peak early. Femi has shown signs of being a major pain for defenders but he is hurt. Any addition before the Roster freeze should be a forward