Charleston vs. Houston USOC 3rd round match

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Of course. Obviously you guys beat us fair and square. I just think that taking shots at Houston generally over the beating handed to its backups is pretty funny. Questioning their heart, and implying bad things about the team generally. I also think your comment regarding other teams not using reserves for games like the Carling Cup is ridiculous as a lot of them do. I don't think it is too outlandish to say that you guys were at home and facing a group of players that you were definitely better than. So you should have won/advanced and the surprise in my mind would be if you didn't. You guys are the best USL team or at least top 3, right?

2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominic came in the pub last night for a beer with our chairman and apoligized for not putting his best team out there, but they do have a league game on Thursday night, so I can understand that too. He also acknowledged, that we got hosed onthe the two redcards, I'll give him credit, he is class.

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reserves horse has been beat to death, everyone understands the reasons and probably most agree with them. It just pisses me off a tad when we do pull the upset then most MLS fans immediately discredit it because of who played.......they cheapen our victory. Kinda puts us in a no-win situation, which is a ridiculous position to be in when we're the lower league team. In any other sport, when the star players don't play and the team loses, they don't discredit the loss by saying, "well, Peyton or Kobe or ______ didn't play, that's why we lost". No, they're pros and they take their licking without sounding like a bunch of whiners.

4. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    MLSNHTOWN - The team that we fielded this past Tuesday was definitely our first teamers, but last years win came about with half of our first team squad resting. I remember there was a ton of talk about us beating your reserves then but our squad was resting then. Last years win was more impressive in terms of the scoreline, but I think the fans feel this was more impressive of a win because of the odds that Charleston faced.

I won't question the heart of your reserves because I am sure they 'wanted' the win. I don't know anyone that would even take the pitch without the desire to actually do well. Plus, your team did look extremely impressive at times. Hudock (GK) came up huge a few times against some very strong attacks by the Dynamo.

Still, I would have loved to see Ching, DeRo and Ricardo Clark - if for nothing more than late subs. However, I am glad we got the result and am glad that they weren't shooting from the spot.

Good luck with the rest of your year and thanks for the support against FCD. Does anyone know if this ones on USLlive??? If not, we should go ahead and start bombing them with letters to make sure it gets up there.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I personally wish the MLS teams would start the starters, then if they start winning by a wide margin, start subbing in reserves (like you would in any game). MLS teams and fans cannot bitch/ whine, complain etc. when they lose in the open cup if they didn't put their "best" 11 out there. That's why they get beat often. Last year the Fire got beat by Carolina Railhawks in the OC. No bitches, no whines, no excuses. We got beat by a team that played better and deserved to win. Battery, IMO gets full credit for winning last Tue. especially with 9 players.
    I think the USOC is an important tournament, and there are MLS teams like the Fire who do take it seriously. If the other MLS teams don't then it's their fault and they're missing out.

6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Therein lies the issue. We think it is important. Many (particularly within the MLS) do not. That speaks clearly to the lack of football culture and organization here in the States.

Just my opinion. Flame away.

7. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    I don't know --- I am kind of on the fence on this one. I think MLS clubs do take it seriously and I don't really blame Houston for starting their reserve team. The USOC is our only additional tournament that we play in all year, the MLS (at least some of the clubs) play in up to three other tourneys throughout the year - in addition to their regular season games and the international games being in the mix. While we also have players who play for their national teams, they obviously have a more congested schedule over the long haul.

If I were Houston - I would have probably done the same thing, with the exception of adding a few of the big name players as late subs to end the game out. However, they probably figured the squad they had on the pitch was good enough to take on a lower division team with 9 players versus their 11. The odds were definitely in their favor.

Other clubs around the world do the same thing to an extent - the only exception is they usually mix the field with a few of the first teamers along side some of the young blood. And although the Battery was clearly the better team on the pitch, Houston had some great chances. On top of that, the Battery has been very impressive this year and have been playing quality football. Even against Houston's first team - I think that they would have given them a run.

No matter what - I hope the Battery gets focused and go into this weekends match and next Tuesday night with the same passion they put into the Dynamo match. Let's hope they won't get too overconfident and realize that FCDallas will probably field a pretty strong team.

Viva la Battery!

8. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's understandable that USL teams see USOC as important. It's their chance to step up. But some MLS teams (not all) see it as 2,000 spectators, sometimes in high school stadiums, with no TV and media coverage, and not much coin on the line.

Super Liga comes along and brings the Dynamo 20k fans into their own stadium, with TV coverage in USA and Mexico and $1.5 million in prize money. Plus they are dying to convert the Mexican team fans that show up in droves to these games into MLS fans.

I'm sorry, but despite it's long history, USOC will continue to become less relevent to MLS until USSF steps it up and makes them give a damn. Business is business.

9. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserve team or not. GREAT win for the battery.

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because, they have their heads, up their MLS butts.:D

So this season, we are 2-1-1 against MLS teams.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think a big priority for US soccer federation is to up the purse on this thing.

I would say $1 million would give it the prestige it deserves, which would attract more media coverage.

I'd like to see Nike/Umbro add a monetary incentif to USL teams if they win.

I'd also like to see MLS and USL work together on setting up dates for USOC match before the season schedual comes out.

I think its cool that they added a slot for the CCL to the winner but that is just one step with many left to go.

Mikey

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS treats the USOC just like every other first division league around the world treats its national cup competition, so, it's not unexpected.

13. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I could not disagree more.

I challenge anyone to show me a team that does not take the German DFB Pokal seriously. In many instances (see: TSV 1860 v. Bayern Munich) the lower end side has that chance to face a top club with the chance at team glory. Also feel free to insert the FA Cup, and the Italian and Spanish versions.

Winning a double (or treble if playing in UEFA Cup or Champions League) is very, very important.

Unfortunately... until the US takes soccer seriously as a sport - like other countries treat soccer - the US product will always be substandard from an organizational and quality perspective.