Charleston @ vancouver 8-31(r)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its been nearly 10 days since the last match and Im getting antsy.

the Battery start their Northwest passage tour with Vancouver on Thursday night. This traditionally has been a toughest part of the schedule for teams coming from the east. Not many get out there with anything.

I think the Battery still need a few point to remain in the driver seat for playoff contention. We are doing alot better than some other teams but I would still like to twin a few more.

the break should have allowed everyone to rest up and heal any little injuries. I would think Corcoran would be back to give us some depth in the back along with Nylen. the weather should allow the speedsters to utilize there gifts.
    Hopefully the break wont have made the guys complacient. I would have loved ot had a match in the middle of the break just to keep everything sharp but we will see how it goes.

Fuller and Watson are familiar with Vancouver and if we play them like we did when they visted us here, we should be fine.

to be honest, I would be happy with 4 points from these three matches. I think that will see us to the playoffs.. Of course, second place isn't too far out of reach if we want the bye.....

2. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I hope they fly out early enough before Ernesto shows up.

3. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Agree. 4 pts would be a good result because the NW Passage teams are like one of my former wives, they don't give it up easily.

4. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    havent' heard about Glinton. The Turks and calicos aren't playing this break that I can find. Jamaica is but Omar isn't on the reggaeboyz roster

here is an article from todays paper about the Northwest trip
    Battery embark on critial road trip

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    The tip came from a Bats fan who is traveling out with the club to Seattle:

7. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Posted over on USLDisc- ... just incase anyone didnt see it here ya go...

Friendlies in the Caribbean region for all nations on Sept. 2 or 3rd.

It's in preperation for the up and comming Carribean Digicel Cup which will be played throughout September and October.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we all know about Gavin's strike rate has been fantastic;
    44 shots and 11 goals this season 1 out of every 4 shots.

But then I noticed Hollywoods and Armstongs stats.

Hollingsworth--28 shots 8 goals 1 out of every 3.5 shots
    Armstong--16 shots 5 goals 1 out of every 3.2 shots

not too bad either.

luc Harrington while not having many minutes looks threatning everytime he gets in. McKinght reminds me a bit of Conway with his holding ability and has been unlucky on his goal attempts.

On a side note, with Ernesto threating Charleston, was I wrong that my only concern with the storm was that if we lost power in the area, that it would be back on so I could listen to the match?

mikey

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vancouver go up in the 33 min with a header by Serbrango from Clark

1-0 Van

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollingsworth ties it up in time added on

1-1

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT

1-1 get a vital point on the road

goal sounded like a cracker. looks like Bancouver was out playing us there for a while and thought their 2nd was coming

we'll take what ever we can get over the next few days

mikey

12. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sounderfan got it partially right. Glinton did not show, but his source had Armstrong showing, who didn't show and is still down with a concussion, is the rumor.

We need Armstrong and Corcoran back in the fold. Corcoran is reportedly on the NW Passage. Corcoran is a huge contributor to the Battery giving up only 24 goals in 25 games. Armstrong has shown he can play in just about any position, except GK, with alacrity. I saw where Omar may be leaving after the Seattle game to join his national team. Can Armstrong be ready?

Bless his heart, K. Nylen has shown up and is playing like, well, a pro.

Huge point.

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we sounded under pressure much of the night. I think Fuller had an off night, seemed to be giving the ball away. I think we showed some rust after being off 2 weeks but luckily, we kept plugging away and stole a point.

Yes, Nylen has been a great addition, he would seem to be having a good tryout for next season! Corcoran (or Catalano) better be ready to go tonight because Watson should be suspended after getting his 5th yellow card of the season last night. Getting a point on the left coast (finally) should give us some extra confidence going into round 2 tonight. I say we get points in Seattle too.

Final: 2-2

14. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Damn, that two week break set me off schedule and I missed the game last night. Looks like a great point on the road. Can't wait for next Saturday's game at home.

Getting points at Seatle is giong to be tough, but I think we can pull a tie out.

Where the hell is Glinton?

15. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Turks & Caicos national team in Digicel Carribean Cup. Their group plays Sept. 2-6. Jamaica's group doesn't play till Sept. 26-30, so, I wouldn't think Omar would be leaving anytime soon***.

Here's one article I found on the Cup with a few details. http://www.xnewsjamaica.com/sports_story.asp?sid=454

*** EDIT: Forgot about Jamaica's friendly with Canada on Sept. 4, so, Omar may be cutting out to play in that.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew said before the game,

Glinton is in the tropics trying to get Turks and Carcios there first ever win. he'll be gone for the entire trip.

Daley will be leaving after the seattle match to join his national tema for amatch against Canada.

Armstong didn't go to vancouver but would be joining the team in Seattle (visa problems maybe?)

not sure if yellow card accumilation suspension is immediate or if there is a repeal period. I know reds are immediate this year.

Seattle on the other hand are with out two of there middfielders O'Brein and Gregor. Weaver was said to be icing up a lot after their last match but haven't heard anything definate on an injury.

Good win but I really hate these comeback and score one in the dieing minutes of the match , matches. I'd much rather ave a 4-0 lead going into the half.

on to Seattle, match tonight (Lt!) at 1000hrs same Batt channel

17. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States