Charleston @ Montreal 8-16 (r)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live via the Battery website at 7:30 on Wed. night
    www.charlestonbattery.com/webcast.asp

Another Game we could use the points from to stay above water in the palyoff hunt and not have to depend on other teams results to get us into the play offs.

montreal is a tough team only lossing 3 matches this year. One to us here in Charleston 3-0. im sure Montreal will be wanting to get revenge. They are a very defensive team and have only let in 12 goals again 3 in that one match against us. the last two match the Batteyr haven't been overly impressive an dI think fatigue is starting to set in. Especially on defense. We really on have been playing with 4 defenders on the roster for the last few matches. Corcoran should be available soon but I would think they would not rush him. Kevin Nylen should be with the Batteyr now on loan from Wilmington and he seems like a good depth to the team. Who know I understand Gores is back taraing full time iwth the squad. I know it will be another couple weeks before he is match fit but he maybe an late gaem option too in the near future.

I see a draw in the Battery future 0-0, a defensive battle. montreal will know the Battery is quick on the counter and will be sitting back and thus not pushing forward too much.

After this match it is a two week break for the Battery. Time to get rested and healed . Get some team bonding going on, take the boys out golfing or fishing. hell go to Frankies fun park or Blackbeards cove for some go carting. Then go into the NW passage and get some results.

here are the remaing fixtures for the other teams in serious play off contention. It won't be easy for any of them and I beleive it will come down to the last match.

Mariners:
    Fri Aug 18 7:30 pm Miami
    Fri Aug 25 8:00 pm at Montreal
    Sun Aug 27 4:00 pm at Montreal
    Fri Sep 1 7:35 pm at Rochester
    Sun Sep 3 6:00 pm at Toronto

Puerto Rico:
    Fri Aug 18 10:00 pm at Portland
    Sun Aug 20 6:05 pm at Minnesota
    Sat Aug 26 7:35 pm at Rochester
    Sun Aug 27 6:00 pm at Toronto
    Sun Sep 3 5:00 pm Minnesota
    Fri Sep 8 8:00 pm Miami FC
    Sun Sep 10 5:00 pm Miami FC

Atlanta:
    Sat Aug 19 7:30 pm Miami FC
    Fri Aug 25 7:30 pm Miami FC
    Sun Aug 27 4:00 pm at Miami FC
    Sat Sep 2 7:30 pm Rochester
    Thu Sep 7 10:00 pm at Portland
    Sat Sep 9 10:00 pm at Seattle
    Sun Sep 10 10:00 pm at Vancouver

Seattle: (remaining games at Quest field)
    Sat Aug 19 10:00 pm Vancouver
    Fri Aug 25 10:00 pm Minnesota
    Sat Sep 2 10:00 pm Charleston
    Fri Sep 8 10:00 pm at Vancouver
    Sat Sep 9 10:00 pm Atlanta

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25 min 0-0

Montreal with majority of chances. Battery with a couple dangerously placed free kicks and corners but nothing from them

Mikey

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery with some good play at the end of the half. Montreal with a majority of the play.

0-0 at halftime.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gavin off the post in the 84 min

0-0

Battery been on defence most the 2nd half.

mikey

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Daley socres in extra time

Battery 1-0!!!

still in time added on.

Mikey

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win 1-0 FT

Huge win for the boys!

moves Charleston into a tie for second and 38 points.
    more importantly gives us a little breathing room over the teams below Charleston with games in hand.

8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just what the doctor ordered...

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive. Makes up for lost points against Miami and PR. We've had some exciting finishes this year, no doubt. I hope that goal gets GOTW so I can see it. Now the boys get a few days off to recharge their batteries (yuk, yuk) before the final push.

Against the 2 best teams in the league, Rochester and Montreal, we're 3 for 3 and if we beat Rochester at home the last game of the season, we'll have swept both of them. I'm willing to bet no one has ever done that in a season.

10. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Great 3 points - would've meant more if we hadn't lost at Miami, though. That may sound silly, but I expected 3 at Miami and 0 at Montreal, so out of the two games we just got 3 pt.s - doesn't really matter who we got them from. Now if we had gotten the 3 (or even 1) from Miami, I'd say we were sitting pretty. Now we're just sitting somewhat attractively, maybe pretty after a sixer, etc.......:p

11. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I've been meaning to ask this since Thursday, but am just getting 'round to it.
    did I read correctly in the Post and Courier that the attendance for this match was over 16,000!!??? That's just crazy for A-League soccer.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I read in the Montreal report that attendance was around 13,900 I dont' think they could get 16,000 into the stadium. I think they are breaking fire codes as it is. I did read that the last two home matches in Montreal were already sold-out, a great accomplishment for the community and the organization up there.

what make s even the 13,900 number great is that it is on a Wed. night. the match drew almost as many people as did the three MLS matches playing that day. Montreal, Rochester, Vancouver, Portland all get good attendence regualarly. I would love if we hd near sell outs here in charleston each year.

Mikey

13. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I can't believe it; that's fantastic for Montreal and the league. I knew Rochester was a great crowd, even before their new stadium, but I had no idea 2nd level soccer drew so much. I'd like to think that if we were up north and didn't have this blasted heat/humidity, that the Battery would draw better. We also have those nasty little thunderstorms that love to visit Daniel Island around game time and that probably turns some folks off.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is rumored that Montreal gives away quite a few tickets per match (they are a non-profit group so I image they go to youth groups and the like)

Another thing against Charleston is that they have the smallest market in the USLD1. But someone did a comparison of the best attendended teams based on Pop. and Charleston was in the top 4attended USL team based on that stat.

I think it also hurts taht there is soo much else going on around town, its not easy competeing for the entertainment dollar.

I would love if Charleston Sold out a few games every year and fans started needing to buy season tickets to ensure they got into a match. maybe in a few years as soccer grows and so does the fan base..

15. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Montreal doesn't have a baseball team anymore, that paves the way for at least few thousand. Even though, the Impact outdrew, what the Expos were getting, before they went to Washington.