Charity Shield [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by SuperElf, Aug 11, 2002.

1. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to congratulate you ladies and gentlemen, even though I am one of those bloody scousers. You played an outstanding game, and managed not to escalate things when Gerrard got a little chippy at the start. On the balance, you had the better attacking midfield play, and deserved the victory.

Looking forward to our two showdows for the title this season! (As I turned and said to the other Liverpool fan in the room at the final whistle, "At least this was a Charity Shield without the Scum in it." Let's try to keep it that way, shall we? I find you lot much more agreeable than Man U, though I'm still quite peeved every time you beat us.)

2. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Didnt get to see the game but read several post game articles. So, Houllier says that the team will have a different look, comes out with a 3-3-4, and still cant score. Why? Were the Gunners that impressive? Will it be a while to for Pool to gel as a team?

Overall, you have to be impressed by the Gunners performance. All Hail Gilberto Silva! Especially since he wasnt supposed to play.

3. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Clearly the Liverpool squad has yet to gel. Heskey was useless, Owen didn't do a whole lot, and Diouf was energetic if not terribly effective. Arsenal controlled the ball for most of the first half and had much more of the chances. Pool looked a bit dangerous in the second half but I don't recall them truly threatening much.

4. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Thanks. If Arsenal can't win it, then I hope Liverpool does. ABM - Anyone But ManUre.

5. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Charity Shield [R]

Don't forget Sp**s, we don't want them winning anything!

6. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Charity Shield [R]

OK then, ABMAS. But that scenario's so unlikely I never even considered it.

And, to be perfectly honest about it, I fall into the camp that hates other teams (ManUre, Dirty Leeds) more than Sp*rs.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought there was a visible difference in class between the two teams. While we were patient and willing to make lots of passes to try and set up a chance, Liverpool wanted to play the long ball to Heskey all the time and play from there. Too easy to defend against I'm afraid.

With Henry hitting the post and Dudek playing superbly, especially a double save from Bergkamp in the first half, it could have been more. Liverpool only really threatened from corners and free-kicks and even then I don't remember Seaman having too many saves to make.

Gilberto Silva must be loving this. First competitive game, scores the winning goal and picks up a trophy. Happy days! When he came on for the start of the second half he was really running the game, not trying to do too much, but keeping the midfield ticking over. And it allowed Vieira to get forward a bit more, so a few more goals from the skipper would be welcome this term.

All in all a contented drive upfrom Cardiff. I could get used to this!

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Really though, if it can't be us, shouldn't it be Man City? What could possibly be more embarassing than losing the league at home to Arsenal, only to follow it up the next year with a title from the # 2 team in town? Ouch.

Acronym update? ABMASBRMCPIICBU

Anyone but Manu and Spurs but really Man City please- if it can't be us.

9. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Micheac, you press a point that I am wondering about and thats Silvas role versus Vieira. Both are "defensive" midfielders but Silva is forward enough to recieve a pass from God(Skysports showed a few highlights). Will the two switch up the offensive, defensive role and let the flow of the game decide or is Wenger going to decide more set positions?

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Silva played like he did in the World Cup. His name was rarely called but he made some nice tackles and good passes. He really complemented Viera and both seemed to flow through the middle of the park to cover each other. I predict good things with these two in the middle.

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the look of that second half, I'd say Vieira will be encouraged to get forward more. Silva was staying out around the centre of the field for the most part, his goal was really the only time he got anywhere near the box. Vieira has scored a couple of goals for France and we've seen flashes in an Arsenal shirt of what he can do in front of goal. We will need someone to step into the midfield goalscoring shoes at the start of the season as Fred and Bob are both sidelined.

I feel a bit sorry for Edu, he worked hard all of last season to get into the team and then Silva comes in and steals the show because Edu went off injured at half-time. Edu had a decent first half, but on the showing yesterday, I reckon Vieira and Silva will start next Sunday.

12. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

I don't think Gilberto should start next sunday purely for the reason that he needs another game or two similar to when Vieira joined break him in gently like Edu etc.If Edu is fit then start him and bring Silva on perhaps to replace Wiltord.Edu has wonderful passing ability and vision which is what we will need without super Bob and Freddie.I am not sure whether Wiltord should start especially on the left as he is too predictable though his goals are a welcome boost.I see Pennant did not make the squad yesterday perhaps all the talk about him in the papers is not helping him.What do the faithful make of Toure he looks very muscle bound more boxer than footballer. I could not believe that next weeks game went to general sale does this mean the touts are not getting as many tickets or just people are fed up with trying to get through to ticket master.

13. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Having gone to the game and had a thoroughly good time, I was aware of the "build up" Stateside with various talk about going to "Nevada Smiths", meetings in Denver, Kentucky, etc. Any good stories that came out of those gatherings worth posting on the Boards?

14. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the turnout at the Dark Horse in Philly wasn't as great as I had hoped. I did see some of the usual faces, but we Gooners were quite outnumbered by our Liverpool supporting counterparts. I do have one short anecdote to relay...

There were three lovely young ladies sitting behind us, Liverpool supporters every one (poor, misguided lasses.) Well, after the game is over, and people have begun filing out, I overheard the one bartender, who I believe is from Belfast, say to them, "Cheer up girls, it's only the bloody Charity Shield!" I turned around, and sure enough they were all three very disappointed looking.

I would have been too if my team had been as crap as theirs!

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wish I had a story, but I was out late drinking the night before and there was no way I was going to be able to wake up and drive 30 minutes to watch the game at 7 AM.

16. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep it was quite a low turnout and I was only inspired to drink one beer. Maybe my rule for this season will be 1 beer + 1 per goal that Arsenal score.

17. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully you'll be pretty loaded after the game tomorrow then ;).