News: Chargers Move to LA, crash on Galaxy's couch.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DoyleG, Jan 12, 2017.

1. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------
    Well getting out of Buffalo, duh !

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Looks like ~25,300 is what the Chargers announce as a sellout after all the talk of 30k and then 27k...

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. So far the LAC have yet to actually sell out StubHub

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think they do. Their renovations just decreased capacity. They replaced bleachers with seats in the upper deck, that will always decrease capacity. This was going to be counteracted by the former grass berm seating, but they only added like 3 rows up there. I think 25300 is the real capacity of Stubhub Center as it is.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With all theTV money , do NFL teams really care about revunue from
    ticket sales in this day and age? I mean doesn’t all or most of the money come from merchandise , sponsors and TV packages?

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They have very low TV ratings too...*

* By NFL standards

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the LAC haven't exactly been a TV juggernaut either. Their ratings in San Diego as you'd expect have fallen to the lowest they've ever been. And they barely register in Los Angeles.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #708 falvo, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Would their TV ratings have been that much better had they stayed in San Diego?

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Most likely. In fact, the TV ratings in L.A. have fallen off the roof since the Rams and Chargers moved in. Their games are now always the national game on, and Angelenos want to watch the other teams, so they don't watch at all. The move to L.A. has been an unmitigated disaster for the NFL.

Kejsare and falvo repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow. Didn't realize that. Interesting. I stopped watching the NFL this year.

11. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I ask why?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never really watched much other than the Niners games. Since the Yorks have screwed over the franchise, I don't have much of a desire or really care to watch. Also, my Sundays are pretty busy watching the Serie A and doing other things.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But they've now got an Italian-American QB! :)

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I saw a few plays from him. Although I don't really watch them either, I'm rooting for the Raiders because a friend of mine Giorgio Tavecchio is now their place kicker.

15. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Same here. I've gotten to the point where with all the soccer options out there, and my limited time, I'd rather watch soccer.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After I moved back to the Bay Area from Europe a few years back , the game completely changed and became unwatchable. I grew up watching Jack Tatum and Ronnie Lott knock the taste out of wide receivers teeth. With all the new rules , watching the NFL is not as fun as it use to be. At least not for me.

17. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest issue is that the league isn't doing nearly enough to prevent, mitigate, or treat head injury. What you see as overly onerous, I see as insufficient; there's very little being put into helmet redesign or proper injury evaluation, for example.

And that speaks to the difficulty of several of the league's challenges at present, where there is often some degree of conflict between two very real problems: hard-hitting action versus injury prevention, perceived patriotism versus speech rights, watchable game speed versus selling commercials.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I really like the NFL, although here in Colombia I'm a very small minority. But I don't usually see full games, just the highlights (of all the games), and sometimes the SNF or MNF game... It is a ********ing long game and has too many commercials.. I don't know how it is in the stadium, but seems it could be booooring.

I usually watch the full games on Playoffs/SB .

sitruc repped this.
  19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think football is even worse in the stadium. Unless you're on the 50 yard line, it's impossible to see what's going on the other side of the field at times and you don't have that yellow line for first downs helping you out. It's purely a TV sport for me.

God knows why I still watch Bucs games, though mostly it's on in the background while I do other stuff. And if there's a soccer game I'd rather watch at the same time I will do that instead.

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Thursday night, all day Sunday, and then Monday night is a bit too much for me. My couch won't allow for that much viewing.

21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With how bad Thursday games tend to be, it's no wonder viewers take the night off. It would be better to give the two teams both weekends before and after off.

22. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why after? 10 days of rest is good.

23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the Sunday they're currently scheduled off three days after Thursday, plus the one beforehand. Give up a bye week for two week-and-a-half periods between games.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly it’s still 27000 with the additions in the berm. They just couldn’t sell out opening night and “reset” a “sellout” to the number they got opening night which was 25300.

25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]