News: Chargers Move to LA, crash on Galaxy's couch.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by DoyleG, Jan 12, 2017.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I don't know why you are still bringing this up. Things change, capacities change. This has been explained multiple times.

Centennial and JasonMa repped this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    ???

3. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    How is the stadium sharing going so far with the Galaxy & Chargers?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It looked kinda cool on television.
    I read that the fans hated it though. Half the people there were rooting for the other team.
    I also hear rumors that the NFL is already considering forcing them back to San Diego.

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #630 RafaLarios, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    I think it is noit as bad as some put it. Most people actually like the closeness to the game at StubHub. Also, It might not have the ammenities of a billion dollar stadium but it works well.

The fact that all home games for chargers have actually around 70% fans of the away team tells a lot of the dumbness of the Spanos and NFL for letting it happen.

I think the chargers won't come back to San Diego. at least while the Spanos are the owners.

CREN and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  6. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Sounds like a USMNT "home" game.

canammj repped this.
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much what I've been hearing as well. Both games at Stub Hub have had more opposing or neutral fans than Chargers fans, the atmosphere has been lame, and they have yet to sell out the stadium.

8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically what happened is that San Diego moved their team to a place no one really wanted them and then scalpers/re sellers were their best customer for season tickets. As a result, the fans of every away team coming into the Stub has access to plenty of reasonably priced tickets.

Looked ugly last week with the red of the Chief fans. Less noticeable with dolphin fans as their color was closer to chargers colors.

Not a good spot for the Spanos family to be in. I wouldn't feel great as a ram fan either. Their stadium has been much more empty than last season. If they keep winning it might improve. If not, it will be two very weakened teams with two very unhappy (and smaller then assumed) fan bases that the owners are trying to sell overpriced tickets/seat licenses to at the stupid new stadium in Inglewood.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much sums it up. The LAC assumed San Diegans loved the San Diego Chargers so much they'd drive the 5+ hours every weekend to come watch them and that they actually had "fans" who bought season tickets to them in San Diego coming from LA who'd be happy they were in LA... they were wrong on both counts. San Diego has dropped Dean and his choker team like a bad habit en masse as the traitorous crap they are. And those "fans" in LA turned out to be ticket brokers who bought up the vast majority of the season tickets in Carson and now flip them to away fans (Raider week is going to be hysterical)

And Kroenke figured LA would love to have its former turncoat team in the Rams back after a 22 year hiatus... he was also wrong. Though to Kroneke's credit he was less wrong than Spanos. The Rams attendance is down, and looks bad, but it would be a hell of a lot better in almost any other stadium than the 92,000 seat Coliseum. Unfortunately the only options in LA were the Coliseum or Stub Hub. Better to have not sold out in a gargantuan stadium, than not sell out an already artificially reduced capacity MLS stadium (the LAC have been forced to tarp off seats by the fire marshall all season at Stub Hub).

jayd8888 and Papillon Soo Soo repped this.
  11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile the only team LA has really loved is going to Las Vegas. Suddenly the NFL doesn't seem like a very competent league.

CREN, Dolemite, kickin365 and 5 others repped this.
  12. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This.

And the away fans situation is going to get worse when they move into the 'Kronke Dome' in 3 years. I can picture 40k Chiefs and Broncos fans travelling ever year (Raiders fans would be much more) basically guaranteeing a division rival 9 home games annually.

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #638 Zoidberg, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    When it comes to LA it has been very dysfunctional in general over the decades.

I'll also say the NFL peaked. It is still a monster, and will be, but it's golden age of love will start to have more and more bumps here and there.

I haven't watched a full NFL game in several years, and barely watch now. There have to be no other viewing options at this point. Of course, as I have gotten older I haved cared less and less for sports
    and really see little point to them. JK killed the last emotional ties I had to a team recently.

I still follow some teams, want them to win, but nothing has to be watched anymore. I have a life to live.

Hell, I am more interested in watching soccer evolve here business wise, fan wise and player wise, much more so than rooting wise.

Burr, Sachsen and Len repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think us in LA have learned to be happy without going to NFL games. Maybe that just makes us different then other cities.

I happen to love watching the NFL (despite everything surrounding it) and yet you would honestly need to pay me to carve 5 hours+ out of my Sunday to sit in an NFL stadium.

athletics68 repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess The Sporting News has not transitioned into the internet age as well as other publications, and the print run ended in 2012 after 12 years, but this is still a very odd statement for me to read.

[​IMG]

(Man was Fernandomania fun to be part of!)

16. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Probably because I really don't have a 'home team' to root for, but this is where I am. In fact, I've been that way since the league started back in '96.

It has been a fun ride, and it doesn't really show any signs of slowing.

Burr, Zoidberg and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Me too.
    I was a big Donavan fan but since he retired I really don't root for anyone. I kind of do for atlanta because they are the closest team but still over 5 hour drive away.

18. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    =
    Oh my, but so true :(

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's amazing how easy it is to do without stuff you thought was a big deal. Very liberating. Opens up new, IMO better worlds.

I feel the way you described about pretty much all pro sporting events now. I just can't see myself taking a lot of time to attend. Needs to be quick, convienent, and not ridiculously priced. I can afford almost any ticket....doesn't mean I think it's worth it.

There is a lot to be said for just watching kids play and enjoying that.

OK.....deep thoughts time is over.

Len, big_pole57, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, just fast forwarded through Red Bull match and have to admit I'm annoyed.

It'll pass quick.....but damn.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    He looks so damn skinny there!

22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s been really bizarre hearing NFL fans bitch that a team is playing in a MLS stadium.

CREN, FC Tallavana, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  23. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    You should hear how CFL fans complain about BMO Field and TFC...

Lancaster FC repped this.
  24. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and would add. The culture of LA is very different than most cities I have been too. Although not entirely true, we have a saying here: "Nobody is from LA"... its a city that attracts people from everywhere else. By not having a team for many years, most people like me are loyal to their hometown team. LA has been jaded by ex-NFL teams and so building a fan base will take some time. So the most natural NFL fans in a city of 20+ million fans is to gather all the fans who don't want to pay to fly back home to support their teams and so they scalp tickets at very high prices.... its a boom for the NFL, but sucks for the home team until they rebuild trust and a fan base.

You can mock the Chargers, but San Diego's stadium situation in San Diego was worse than Carson. Most of their games weren't even close to sell outs and where even a higher percentage of away fans. That is the same issue with Rams games. the Coliseum is a terrible place to watch a game and isn't close to a sell out either unless it is a popular away team (or a USC game). The chargers knew they were going to need to rebuild fan trust and ticket demand. A small stadium is better to do that in, I mean just imagine how terrible it would be if they were in the Coliseum.

FYI... currently on Gametime Rams tickets are selling for $74 and Chargers tickets are $142

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really true save the last two years after Spanos made it pretty clear he was leaving town and just yanking San Diego's chain (while his team went into a death spiral)

Papillon Soo Soo repped this.