Channel 5 - How unprofessional !!!!!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by clearblue, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Owlsfan

Owlsfan Member

Jun 22, 2000
    D'oh! My sarcasm button must have been switched to the off position when I wrote that.... sorry Tom!

2. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's why the first tie-break should be the regular season point total. The lower seeded team must score more goals than the higher seeded team to advance.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You know in the old days on BigSoccer, people would post a thread like this in B&M along with the offenders e-mail addresses, and then we would fill their mailbox with angry letters. Where have the good old days gone? Have we gone soft? Oh, good times .....

4. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is very interesting that the biggest media factions such as the Globe and Herald and assorted TV stations do not seem to get it. However, there is the Boston Metro, which most consider simple train reading, and yet it has been consistent in its coverage of the Revs as far as I can see. I take the train every morning and whenever there has been a game, there has been an article the next day. It is a small paper but its sports coverage has not been lacking, and the guy who writes about the Revs seems to have a grasp of the game and the relevance of tie scores. Maybe the rest of the mainstream media ought to take a hint. In the meantime, you'd think that so-called sports radio stations would choose to cover all sports, and not present a biased approach; however, that is unfortunately wishful thinking. Some of these people need to be reminded that soccer is a sport, and the most popular one in the world, at that.

5. you guys need to get Matt Damon to wear a revs jersey in a movie. He's a big Boston sports guy.

6. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Y'know I'm almost as old as McDoDo, Lobel and other geezers (60) and I grew up with total indoctrination in the Big 4, etc. BUT I switched and it was easy. The game itself is simple enough, it's the lore, traditions and world view that are difficult. Hell, I suspect most pointy ball types voted for W which is far worse than bashing soccer.

Anyway, nothing these irrelevant troglydytes dream up and spew surprises me. They are simply thick. Bring 'em to the Fort and we'll throw whistles at 'em.

Sorry for the sarcasm but in the midst of the Great Rev Playoff Push the narrow mindedness and ignorance of the mainstream types is vile. Is it really fun to watch a bunch of coronary candidates wallow around in the Miami heat like a bunch of hippos in spandex?

GO REVS. Nicol for Coach of the Year.. Twellman for MVP.. Ralston for whatever he wants.

7. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    media and america

why does america neglect the exciting, fast-paced sports?? not only do i speak for soccer, but also for hockey. Why do "we" americans love the slow games?? why do we love golf? why is football popular? why is baseball our pastime? I think its because americans are lazy. Now i dont mean to offend people, because i know there is one hard worker in this country for every two lazy workers, but i think Americans are too slow to follow soccer and hockey. (i believe america has the highest sped population, but im not 100% sure) why america, why? if you want to be accepted by other countries, accept their game.

cheers, fiero

8. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Someone should email this whole thread to Ch. 5 and let them learn about soccer fans rightful complaint.

9. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no $hit huh?

10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: media and america

Of course, when you put basketball (a faster game than soccer and just as fast as hockey) into the equation, your theory falls apart. And gridiron football is much faster than any of the three, when you only include time actually played.

Besides, one could just as easily say that Americans prefer a more thoughtful, tactical approach to their sports, and that non-Americans just don't have the patience for sports other than 'fast' ones. Gross generalizations aren't going to get anyone anywhere. People just like the sports they like.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Re: Re: media and america

It's not the speed of the play, it's the built-in pauses in the action. That's the beauty of baseball and football - there's plenty of time to discuss and analyze each little snippet of action. They are tactical games, war games, and that's what Americans love. And that's why basketball and hockey are distant 3rd and 4th (and why college basketball retains significant popularity compared to pro - it's more tactical).

The other thing we like is that quantifiable nature of our sports. What would baseball be w/o stats? Ditto, football. Those sports have more in common with Chess than soccer.

Soccer is all about creativity and individual, decentralized decision-making. That's why American critics are so fixated on trying to get more influence from the sideline (timeouts, quarters, freer substitutions).

It's also about more subtle, long-term strategies which, unfortunately, are usually missing from US soccer, and it's hard to blame US viewers because they don't usually see that part of the game, and the broadcasters either don't notice it or don't mention it (I've always been in favor of dropping virtually every MLS broadcast team and bringing in a boatload of English D1 guys who have been doing games since they could talk, i.e., the Marv Alberts of the UK).

12. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Ch.5 has about 2 minutes per broadcast to do sports. So in that two minutes they cover what they think their viewership wants to see.

Look acting offended evertime someone disses soccer and going on a rampage is never ever going to change anything.

Keep supporting the team and eventually attitudes will change

It's not going to be over night. Mike Lynch is not going to be struck by lightening and convert to soccer.

Give it time.

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I've gone after georgeplmr in other threads. However, This time I will give credit for a well thought out post, and a very good point. Going on rampages every single time soccer isn't given the time of day really doesn't do more than make soccer fans look bad. I would like for the TV people to at least get names right though.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Thanks Jeff

At least we can agree on this. Death threats to Frank Deford or Mike Lynch aren't going to get them to show up the stadium ready to cheer themselves horse

They don't like soccer. Oh well that's just too bad

You can't love every sport out there. The generation of news casters and writers missed out on the youth soccer boom. They never played thus don't love or appreciate the game like you and even I do.

Ranting and raving and marching on the capital aren't going to change that

Just keep attending, keep watching and enjoy what you like and to hell with those that don't

15. revfan213

revfan213 New Member

Mar 2, 2001
    the South Shore (MA)
    from falcon6:
    "you guys need to get Matt Damon to wear a revs jersey in a movie. He's a big Boston sports guy."

Don't forget Shannon O'Brien - Yale soccer, captain, I believe. Maybe she could perform the ceremonial first kick on the 20th.

Does anyone know if Mitt is a soccer fan? I'm still undecided and this might just help tip the balance.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    On the basis of soccer pedigree, O'Brien would be very tough to beat.

17. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Lynch was just as dismissive on Wednesday night. Lavanchy was, as well.

But you know what? Lynch is a donut-propelled, North Shore loser who sniffed enough jocks to get himself into Harvard where he sniffed more jocks and now he gets to try to impress Natalie with his occasional expressions of outrage and sanctimony. Dude, guess what. You won't con your way into a quick flight down to Nantucket because you have the sophistication of an Everett paper boy, the charm of a Registry of Motor Vehicles employee, and the world vision of Will McDonough.

Have another beer and pop that St. John's Prep-Central Catholic video back in.

18. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    pretty much sums it up.

19. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy there, Chowderhead...

Don't be demeaning donut propelled people from the North Shore like that, and SJP alums as well...

FYI, Lynch went to Swampscott High.

20. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Oh, nothing against the North Shore. But I had to throw that in. And I'm cool with Central and the Prep. But you know that Lynchie thinks that a Methuen-Lynn Classical hoop game is bigger than a World Cup final.

21. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Re: Re: Re: media and america

This is a very good post about general Americans and athletics. We, as Americans, like to double guess the coach about play calling, substitution patterns, etc. You don't really get that in soccer.

22. jjx2

jjx2 New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Hyde Park, Ma
    Chowderhead wrote:

Lynch was just as dismissive on Wednesday night. Lavanchy was, as well.

I disagree with the Lavanchy coment on this one- my read on Lavanchy was that he thought the playoff first to 5 points system was dumb, since it allows a playoff game to end in a tie. He showed highlights of the match talked about the next game and then did a brief explanation of how the first to 5 system works- he in my opinion, never said anything but good about the Revs and their play- it was the playoff scoring system that he seemed to have a problem with- not the Revs, their playoff run or their win??!!

Jon

23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the enormous popularity of NASCAR pretty much goes against this theory.

Andy

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I think the only thing that explains NASCAR is cheap beer and incest

25. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On tonight's broadcast they interviewed Adin Brown but the text on the screen read,

"Juergen Sommer"

Good grief, Charlie Brown!