Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    I've got to think Eclipse OB is feeling pretty good. The whole "B" team thing is someone else's problem now. OB can now go back to being totally focused and unapologetic about chasing national titles. They will go after the best recruits regardless of geography, and will not have to spend hours trying to fill two teams and managing players/parents who were rightly worried about team placements.

I get the feeling that Eclipse North is kinda on its own to find its way. North may still succeed, as they had a handful of solid recruits lined up a long time ago, but I'm not sure how far down the list of known players they are already looking to find interest. We'll know a lot more this Saturday I guess after their first ID session.

They've got a lot of teams to fill and tryouts are right around the corner. Anyone hearing of any "if you all come over, you can bring your coach with you" deals being offered to help give this effort a jump?

2. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Can someone with knowledge of Eclipse Oak Brook give me an assessment of u13 or u14 girls and if it's worthwhile at this age. I believe the cost commitment is still a bit lower than the older ages. But with one team now, do they roster 20 plus kids for 11v11? Coach is NC, who i believe has a stellar reputation. Are they still developing skill set? Practice two or three times a week?

I know as a u15 and up, if your kids has the talent it's a worthwhile or even necessary option and a finishing type of club. I am just debating for a younger kid who may find a starting spot on an entry team in the ECNL.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think you mean NK. He came over from Chicago Fire Jrs I believe. He coaches the 2006 and 2005 teams. The 2005 team is solid in terms of talent. The 2006 has a mix of 2006 and 2007 players.

Here is what I know from multiple sources. NK is an F bomb dropping - aggressive coach. Some parents like this but others hate him. I know there is a lot of kissing the ring over there with him and those kids often get more play time.

I know of 05 and 06 players who are waiting too see who the coach will be next season which will determine whether they stay. Some parents are already talking about moving to the Northbrook location because of NK. He also has the same reputation amongst some coaches.

Honestly, I am close with 3 parents there and from what I have taken in, I would not want my kid playing for him.

I think the bulk of parents were more used to and moreso pleased with BK but from what I understand, he's spending his time on the Red Stars side of the house.

4. Kobasa FC

Kobasa FC New Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Jul 27, 2018
    New to the forum. I am searching for a competitive 09 Boys team for my son. He is currently a top player on an NISL gold team. Does anyone have feedback on the top teams at the 09 age for Eclipse OB or CFJ South? Both appear to compete at a high level. But I don't know much about the coaches or the teams at this level for each club.

5. mack1020

mack1020 New Member

PSG
    Brazil
    Aug 22, 2018
    Naperville, IL
    Where are you located?

6. Kobasa FC

Kobasa FC New Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Jul 27, 2018
    Oakbrook, Hinsdale area.

7. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I know these groups. If your daughter is developing and enjoying her current situation, you should stick with it. It’s going to be at least two years for them to get it together.

8. mack1020

mack1020 New Member

PSG
    Brazil
    Aug 22, 2018
    Naperville, IL
    Look at Fusion FC for that age. They have a very strong 09 team. Smaller environment, but great coaching/trainer. They played Platinum in YSSL in the Fall and went 7-0-1. Looks like they moved up to U11 (2008) for Spring in Gold

9. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Fusion FC for girls (known formerly as Deportivo) is a very strong squad at u12 and moved up to A. They play a physical style but good footwork. lacking somewhat in athletic talent but understand the game. That a club philosophy I assume

10. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wanted to edit my last post (can you not do that here?) to ask why you were thinking about switching? Are you wanting different coaching? Is your daughter not a fit on her current team or has she outgrown it? Wanting to line up for recruiting down the road?

In my (very limited) experience, the relationship between my daughter and her coach has been the biggest predictor of her development in a given year. Which sucks because I’m not sure it’s really possible to know who the coach will be prior to tryouts.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    In some clubs you can most definately find out who the coach will be. On more established teams (top teams) this will be fairly evident. But you can always ask a DOC. If they are stand off-ish then I would not go there.

12. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019

13. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    My last post has my response to Iniesta embedded. Sorry about that

14. smfw

smfw Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Apr 10, 2019

15. smfw

smfw Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Apr 10, 2019
    heard PC is bringing FCU 04 team over

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    70+ players are already committed to the new Eclipse North. They are expected just over 100 but with Tourneys last weekend and this weekend they have not got all players through the door just yet.

17. Myxlplk

Myxlplk Member

Apr 10, 2019

18. Myxlplk

Myxlplk Member

Apr 10, 2019
    What do you mean, explicitly, by “kiss the ring”? I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

19. jsScott

jsScott New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If true, that is a preacademy team. So does that constitute the formation of a legit ECNL team?

20. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Doesn’t even appear to be a very strong PA team. Would have to think that the majority would be on the eclipse north mrl level team.

21. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    He is a well reviewed coach and would be a pretty big catch. Unless he really doesn't like his current gig at FCU it seems like a bit of risk on the eve of all those FCU summer camps and other revenue opportunities. I don't think a coach like this would come cheap. Also, that 04 Pre-DA team is mid-table in MRL, not sure how that translates to ECNL. No idea if any of it is true, but this is definitely the most efficient way to solve what otherwise has to be a pretty big challenge.

Volk... take some Advil, that is a lot of water you are carrying there, your back must be killing you. 70+ committed? from where?

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Contact at Eclipse who is not drinking Eclipse kool aid. He's never been wrong before.

Did have a few drinks last night - could use some advil tho.

23. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well good luck to you - I hope your daughter ends up with a good fit, regardless of where it is.

24. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    By "from where" I meant where are 70+ committed players appearing from? I don't doubt that someone in OB might think that North has 70+ commits, and repeated that to you. But what clubs are they coming from?

25. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    Maybe if you combine the top players in the current eclipse "B" team with top players from the incoming team. it might. The current "B" team is the winning-est "solar" team. Their four wins are more than all the other solar teams combined for all other age groups. Not sure if thee is any plan for current Solar team players to move to North teams?
    I think even though Eclipse has so much weight with the ECNL board they had to show they were doing "something" to improve their "b" teams. All of the other board member clubs which granted themselves "B" teams for going All-IN ECNL are at least doing respectable (i.e PDA, Slammers, Stars, Concorde Fire "B" teams are mostly mid table. Even Hawks "B" teams are closer to mid table). With this effort Eclipse can say "we are trying something different for next year"