Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    [QUOTE="lncolnpk, post

NSA 2000s just won a U.S. Youth Soccer national championship and were a dominant team from the get go. They played up an age group while u10 u11 and u12.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I am getting an eerie sense of déjà vu here. Haven’t we had this conversation before? I believe the consensus was “good,” but not “dominant,” team. If we ask him nicely, Upper Left might send us a list of pertinent post numbers and a summary of the conclusions reached. The merits of the NC have been discussed ad nauseam

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    According to the DA coach from Sockers - they played this NSA team in a friendly at Canlan in Barrington about 2 months ago. NSA was soundly defeated. That Sockers team is very good however.

I guess my argument assumes that there are going to be top teams in both ECNL and DA but that it appears there are many more in the lower ages of both leagues which would struggle with Prem 1 and even some of Prem 2.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #1128 VolklP19, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    No correction - my point - which is actually a question is whether or not the big three will be able to consistently put forth strong teams as opposed to players? Are we going to see a merry-go round between FCU - Eclipse and Sockers of top players looking for something that may not there (better team/coach/training). because of complacency and leagues that refuse to work together for the better of the sport?

4. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Yes. But likely for ‘best’ team too based on perceived hierarchy or exposure (playing time). Kids jumping from eclipse b team to sockers or fcu ‘a’ da team. Lower rung fcu da player jumping to sockers da to start, and vice versa.

Then coaching/training. Most parents consider them equivalent.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #1130 VolklP19, Feb 14, 2019
    What if ECNL was not club orientated but the highest rung in the ladder - excluding the DA of course. In this case top players would not leave but instead - top teams get in. Isn't the sheer lack of a true pyramid system like this the very problem with youth soccer at a competitive level?

IWSL (A,B,C,D) > A division winners move to MRL qualifiers > MRL qualifiers move to First Divisions > MRL Prem 2 > MRL Prem 1 > ECNL

All based on promotion/relegation.

Wouldn't something like that settle the field and develop more strong teams and thereby better top players?

Yeah it's never going to happen likely but it would be a huge move for ECNL to bolster it's position IMO.

Why should someone tell a kid who has busted their ass that you can play at the top - but only if you leave your friends/mates, coach, club and likely commit to far more time in the car and way more $$$.

As I re-thought this through, DA teams would just pick off top players from ECNL teams in their area. Would that be that effective though with the problems DA currently has (rules/high school/National platform exclusivity and a lack of college focus when compared to ECNL).

6. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is an utterly meaningless friendly.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We'll I'm not a cheerleader for Sockers but at the same time - why is it meaningless? I think the odds of it being meaningful are about just the same.

I was not there - you were not there. I don't think even if we were we'd know the line up well enough too say whether it was a good match.

Why would NSA play Sockers if they did not expect it to at least be close?

You can look back at this thread - I think the score was 5-0 or something.

8. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Most of the top players from the NSA team that won nationals are in college so they wouldn’t have been playing 2 months ago

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #1134 VolklP19, Feb 14, 2019
    Well couple of things. Post and poster seem to have disapeared (adifferentperspective). That post was between page 30 and 35 and it was posted during the Fall season or just after I would say.

Original poster said that the NSA coach had to go to his bench which wasn't deep enough to cover Sockers - or words to that.

I think the intention of his post was to discredit the team and USYouth Soccer in general. So who knows - likely what was left over with new players.

Not jamming NSA - at all here for the record.

10. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Enough with this second coming of the ‘27 Yankees

http://www.illinoisyouthsoccer.org/_files/illinois-state-cup/champions-and-recaps/14 SC Recap.pdf

Looking at State Cup winners trying to account for age group changes), pre DA, NSA won 2 of last 4, impressive but not exactly dominant. Over same time, other non-Big 3 teams fared better

Campton 00 3 of 4

LFSA 01 3 of 4

Fire 02 2 of 3

Fire 03 2 of 2

So hard to argue ‘dominant’.

Campton stuck together and had similar success as NSA, while LFSA 01 bolted for FCU and the two Fire teams went with their coach to Eclipse.

While NSA 99 was good, clearly Eclipse (which ironically benefitted from poaching the best player on that NSA team) and arguably Sockers had better ‘99 teams during HS ages.

Thus, NSA not dominant and Hilary Swank not hot. :)

11. Brace Yourself

Chelsea
    Turkey
    Jan 19, 2019

Yes, the transfer portal is very much in use with both Eclipse and FCU touting college placement. Not sure what Sockers pitch is? Better coaching and the ability for parents to go to Woodfield during practice?

It is a shame that these team to recruit over current players, especially midseason. Vicious cycle, parents see new kids come to practice (maybe kicking tires) then immediately reach out to one of the other clubs.

12. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    I like checking in on this thread but 1st time posting. Good discussions. Just a small correction. The game in November was between Sockers U19DA and Campton '00 when Sockers won 4-1.

13. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    I remember there being chatter on here last summer when the Arizona club Del Sol surprisingly sent a bunch of teams to compete in FCU's Vernon Hills tournament. At least all those kids and their parents got to see that awesome Doppler radar installation before the whole weekend got rained out.
    I assume FCU paid back the favor this weekend sending a few teams to the popular SC Del Sol PDT. Anyone know how they are doing?

14. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    Just has a look online, getting battered by the looks of things

15. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    FCU sent their pre-acad teams..

2000 3-0
    2001 1-2
    2002 1-1-1 (2nd division)
    2003 1-2
    2004 3-0 (2nd division)
    2005 0-1-2 (2nd division)
    2006 1-2

16. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    I believe the Winter transfers are more about parent/player discontent with their current club than recruiting by the ECNL/DA clubs. I am sure some recruiting happens but my experience is that is more related to the full season and bringing in new players for the fall than a winter switch. Most of the winter switches I am truly familiar with (first hand discussion) were players unhappy with the atmosphere of a team or parents unhappy with their child's playing time or team placement. (unfortunately probably more over the years caused by parent unhappiness)

17. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Good effort Poke. However, I think they sent way more teams than the ones you listed. A friend of mine has a kid on a select team so i took a look. I think just about every FCU family is in AZ right now enjoying their travel soccer experience.

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Overheard Campton and FV Strikers are in talks to merge operations.

Lots of Chicago teams at Del Sol... Team Chicago, Sockers and CSA sent a few teams as well - on top of many FCU teams.

19. Brace Yourself

Chelsea
    Turkey
    Jan 19, 2019
    Yes, but once the disgruntled family reaches out to the other clubs, that is the pitch that they are hearing. I am not aware of any of the Big 3 making initial contact mid year.

20. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    One of the top Directors at FCU, also Head Coach at loyola Academy has been known to speak to players after HS games about joining the FCU DA. Conveniently enough though, none of his own players have ended up in the DA.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case in their girls side also. Recruiting players from other HS, but leaving the quality Loyola kids well out of it.

Totally breaking the HS rules, however gets away with it every year.

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I would completely agree.

22. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Q

Upper Crust,

Will you be periscoping or tweeting from the meeting?

23. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    A buddy offered to lend me his wife's Land Rover with the FCU magnet, so I think I can get past the parking lot check point... but I think they would sniff me out once I got to the Dewey Decimal card catalog wearing a truckers hat with my kid's club name on it.
    I'll have to sit this one out. Hopefully someone will send me the slides from the presentation.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Hearing NW Burbs are down in numbers and many clubs looking to merge. Seems this is not just limited to the Fox Valley area.

I am surprised that Chicago Inferno are fielding 11 boys teams - not bad considering many other clubs are down on the boys side.

OrangeCard repped this.
  25. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Just go in disguise. This should work.

upload_2019-2-20_13-49-28.jpeg