Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yup because on average - Illinois is not producing good girls teams which can compete on a Regional or National level.

But if you joing a DA club, you get to be ball girls at a national game (lol).

#handouts

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Doesn't say much for the ECNL and GDA - which is bound to be jacked for a few more years.

3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Maybe you’ve heard this before, but sarcasm is often hard to convey in written form, especially with someone you just met/starting dealing with…I run in people on the internet all the time who rant like you do for real…

And please spare me the whole I can crack a few jokes so I am above all this sh*t and better then you spiel… I can be a sarcastic, condescending asshole to…actually, it’s a pretty low bar to meet…

Your “Digs at issues within youth sporting culture” were in direct response to one of my posts…as such, it sure seemed like a bunch of digs directed at my personally…claiming “sarcasm” isn’t a free pass to say whatever dumb shit you like and not be called out on it…for example…

Seriously, what are smaller clubs supposed to do? Let’s tell it like it is, smaller clubs can’t compete with bigger clubs (certainly not routinely anyway)…they simply don’t have the player pools, money or resources larger club do.

Having tiered system of competition is a simple acknowledgement of that fact…Nobody is confusing Illinois FC, FC Peoria, or SASA with the Fire, Sockers or Scott Gallaghers of the world…

The operation of a tiered or hierarchical system of competition is hardly a "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. It’s more an acknowledgment and mentality that everyone deserves a level playing field…

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois

***TOUCHDOWN AND THE EXTRA POINT****

5. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    #680 OrangeCard, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Hey, I got this in an email yesterday. I am not sure it's been discussed. Talk amongst yourselves. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Galaxy SC (17U Boys) and NSA Shock (19U Girls) win US Youth Soccer National Championships

US Youth Soccer 17U Boys US Youth Soccer National Champions
    Galaxy SC
    [​IMG]
    Jason Barba, Myles Barry, Rohan Bhargava, Kyle Blasingame, Noah Glorioso, Colin Iverson, Owen Jarrell, Ali Khorfan, Patrick Koenig, Ty Konrad, Evan Lang, Mason McCaw, Jose Navarro, Jack Olsen, Cesar Recendez, Nick Renfro, Natalio Rojas, Christian Romano, Zachary Smith,
    Dylan Soto, Cameron Strang, Bryan Torres; Coaches Jay Konrad and Brett Strang

Galaxy 2001 Blue defeated the defending National Champion, Tampa Bay United (FL), 4-2 in overtime to claim the 17U Boys 2018 National Championship title. Earlier in the tournament, Tampa Bay defeated Galaxy, 3-1, in group play, but the championship matchup was a different game. Galaxy struck first in the 10th minute when a long throw-in was flicked on by a Galaxy player and C....

US Youth Soccer 19U Girls US Youth Soccer National Champions
    NSA Shock

[​IMG]
    Isabella Alessio, Madeleine Becker, Katelynn Buescher, Shaina Dudas, Erin Flynn, Mary Kate Hansen, Catherine Johnson, Kaitlyn Joniak, Kennedy Messina, Kendra Pasquale, Sarah Scoles, Sophia Senese, Kailey Serna, Kathryn Shroyer, Alyssa Siebers, Jessica Siebers, Abby Swanson,
    Amy Ten Haken, Chesney Wargo; Coach: Ben Boyd

NSA Shock took a 2-0 victory over Utah FC 99 Black (UT) to claim the 19U Girls National Championship. With the two teams playing to a 1-1 draw on Thursday in group play, there had to be a clear winner on Saturday night. The Illinois side went up 1-0 in the 23rd minute as Erin Flynn took a corner kick, and although the ball was headed out......
    [​IMG]

6. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for NSA. This team has been good all the way through the age groups and some of them played for Naperville North. This team was NSA's golden team.

Now onto a rumor: It comes from a Chicago Fire Blogger who has consistently. breaks Fire news

Don't shoot the messenger

@TrueMartyParty

#MerchBobo is hearing that Nelson Rodriguez asked MLS if he could axe the academy. The league told him it's a franchise requirement. He's looking to sell the academy naming rights to a local club as an alternative. #cf97

upper left repped this.
  7. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow that is shocking. Says it all about the sorry state of that club. The current owner and management group are a joke. No clue how to run a professional sports organization.

8. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming they wanted to sell it to FCU.

9. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    No wonder it's going down. It will be my son's first season there.

10. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds about right. Not sure what other options there would be now. I would have guessed eclipse but they are All In with ecnl. It would completely change the model because I can’t see any club paying the fee and then continuing it as a free program. I heard th

11. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year the Fire attempted to make the Acadamy fee-based but the league turned that down too.

12. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    First off, thanks for helping change the topic.

Second, I'd like to better understand the issue before this turns into a parody about FC United somehow being capable of doing a better job of something than the Fire. (BTW, a for-profit FCU is way too busy separating wealthy North Shore parents from their money to start giving DA away for free. It seems like a non-starter.)

The rumor of the Fire looking to off-load its Academy program is a really interesting topic, and following the tweet LincolnPark offered led me down several rabbit holes having to do with a general distrust of USSF (and MLS) and everything they touch, whether it be the promotion/relegation debate, changing rules related to the Open Cup, and even stories about Donna Shalala ignoring her USSF fiduciary responsibilities by getting in bed (figuratively) with Beckham to swindle Florida tax payers for a new stadium... but I digress.

There are a lot of interesting and never ending problems with US soccer. If you listen to the internet mob, it always seems to come back to USSF's cavalier attitude. I tend to agree. I came across the slides from USSF's recent webinar to get DA Clubs to fall in line and was struck by the first slide in the presentation:
    upload_2018-8-5_7-26-33.png

Clearly, y'all better get the f on-board!

So on one hand, USSF is sure as sh*t they know what is best for all of us, while on the other an MLS franchise doesn't seem interested in carrying their end of the bargain which is to foot the bill on developing young talent in return for some USSF protection from the pro/rel mob.

I have no idea what the solution is -- but it is clear things are broken. I think it would be pretty interesting to discuss how the Fire wanting to ditch the DA might be a symptom of the US's closed soccer system, and not just take turns ripping the Fire or a potential affiliate FC United ('cause that's not going to happen).

13. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pro rel /open pyramid/ pro training compensation/ anti USSF and we are not a mob.

VolklP19 repped this.
  14. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't go too deep on this. Andrew Hauptman has no money except what he has in this team. He just sold 49% to Morningstar's owner and his two huge houses in Beverly Hills. His wife is Ellen Bronfman Seagram's Heiress. My theory is that they are separating and they sold her half of the team. Otherwise, the new cash infusion easily covers the DA.

Hauptman won't spend money to upgrade training facilities. The Chicago Fire pitch is not owned by the Fire. The owners are an LLC which Hauptman is part of.

He is trying to say solvent by cutting everything. That is why there is no local TV deal. The ESPN+ deal is just the league Direct Kick deal with the blackout restrictions lifted. The big sponsors like Heineken and ATT are really league sponsors. Addidas has been rumored to be picking up Basti's salary.
    They cut fan promotions to the point that they charged $20 for a Basti bobblehead.

15. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Bad word for me to use, i wasn't intending to use the word mob as a pejorative. More as a word to represent a loosly organized group passionately fighting to disrupt what they see as an injustice.

I think I'm firmly in your camp and agree with changes needing to be made for the pro game to grow. I just have no idea how things improve, or how any kind of pro/rel club system would be introduced with the firmly entrenched pay to play model that exists from U-little through U-19.

As I mentioned, I'm just interested in learning more about how the 'closed' U.S. system may be holding back soccer in the U.S. The Fire trying to ditch their DA obligations seems like an interesting introduction to the topic.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we jumped the shark yet?

17. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My bad...self censured...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Damn!

19. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    It was inspired work. Too bad it was removed so fast. I'm sure not everyone got to enjoy it before Notorious BRF swooped in.

20. OrangeCard

OrangeCard Member

Brazil
    Mar 14, 2018
    Yes, I would have loved to have seen it. Sounds like someone put in a lot of effort on it.. I am frankly flattered.

21. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #696 mwulf67, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Thanks! But BRF was right, it was just throwing gas on a fire best left to die....

(For the record, I deleted it myself as result of BRF's comment)

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So would FCU seriously be interested in the naming rights for ChiFire? I mean they already have a DA. Does the naming rights give them the ability to change rosters - move players and so on?

Right now on the boys side they are competing against Sockers and Fire. Girls side Sockers. How would this better position them to compete for better players?

23. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have a girl's Academy. They only have girl Fire Jrs which only has like 3 decent teams (MRL teams)

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Right so what is the benefit to spending a boat load of $$$ for naming rights?

25. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    #700 upper left, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    We understand that this discussion is about Boys' Academy. I'm quite certain they applied for GDA membership the last two years and have been turned down both times. Indiana Fire was an inaugural GDA member, but they dropped out this year because HS soccer in the wealthy suburbs of Indy is very popular.

This is about the Chicago Fire Boys' DA program, and the question is still out there. Sockers rules BDA in Illinois. Fire and FCU are middling clubs. FCU is already extracting max dollars from a parent funded business. Why on God's green Earth would they be interested in paying Fire for something they already have and already make a lot of money on?

This is also based on the premise that The Fire BDA is fully-funded (i.e. free-ish to players) as all (most?) MLS affiliated clubs are.