Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #26 mwulf67, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    I am not making anything up that “high school tactics” was meant as insult on your part…have the honesty to admit it….forget that what was being discussed was a common club occurrence and issue, even at the youngest levels, which is really where the problem exists….by High School or U15, cuts should be considered normal and something all kids should learn to deal with…

Both club and HS have their positives and negatives…

Cutting players and/or trying to put together the best team possible is something they both do….neither owns that particular aspect or “tactic”…and only someone with an ax to grind against one would think so….

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Great - do you have any direct knowledge of the clubs which are transforming up here - can you answer any questions about Rush that have been directly raised?

Or are you just on about assuming that everyone thinks high school is stupid and DA is the best?

Back on topic...

3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I believe I already responded directly on topic…I even admitted I don’t have any particular insights, just a general sense of what Rush and other big clubs may be thinking/planning…maybe you would actually like to respond on topic to my comments?

4. 1goldeneagle

1goldeneagle Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    Rumors I've heard in the last few days...
    All the Rush sites, 4-5 from what I have hear, making "composite teams" for bigger competitions.
    Galaxy uniting with FC United, Fire Jrs South to follow.
    Inferno joining Eclipse, my guess for the boys ECNL.

Some big shakeup in the area

5. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see how this is going to fly. People driving from 3 Rivers, Buffalo Grove, Oswego and Batavia for a practice?

Current locations

Minnoka Rush South
    Oswego Rush West
    Batavia
    Buffalo Grove / Vernon Hills Rush North

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah that and composite teams...?

If they are looking to just jump away from IWSL/YSSL and play MRL/MDL/NPL - the latter Rush is already doing, then great. That will help at the top end but what about the rest? Will they get better training sessions locally? On a whole I don't get it.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Thing is - Chi Fire Jrs and Eclipse have a pretty strong record of killing these clubs and then leaving. Scorched earth policy I guess.

Eclipse lost Libertyville after they wanted to bring in a u8-u12 program - they moved to Waukegan and lost that. I believe they lost there West location as well. They laso raided Hinsdale years ago and I think they had a deal with TC awhile back that raided top players there.

Chi Fire Jrs have always shifted at the locations where a board of parents are still calling the shots.

Lots of unstable situations from the past.

Messy

8. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's actually a bunch of benefits for a Rush club, especially if you are looking to reduce cost and time spent doing administrative tasks. Rush offers: common buying platform for uniforms. Common registration systems. Common handbook/manual for how to run (administrative and HR/personnel details for clubs). Common core principals for coaching (how to run practices, game tactics etc. aka The Rush Way.) Also common travel and fund-raising platforms to reduce cost to players. Rush also does offer select teams where kids from all over the country come together to play at select tournaments.

Sure, Rush wants to get the best kids and win and all that, but to say joining Rush is only about greed is a little short-sighted from my perspective,

9. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    United Soccer Academy (formerly Hawks) out of the McDonalds Fields in Oak Brook is folding. Most of the staff is heading to the Eclipse. Fields are going to a developer since McDonalds is moving downtown Chicago

10. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It is actually Bartlett not Batavia. Bartlett is not close to any of the locations either.

I know the composite team meets up in Schaumburg for the NPL once a week.

11. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes, sorry, I would agree that is a valid argument…in talking about business/profit side of things, I didn’t mean to necessarily discount the potential positives or that a for-profit model necessarily automatically means bad soccer….

I don’t think anyone would claim the Big Mac is the world best burger, yet few would dispute that McDonalds is the most successful burger joint in the world…they are clearly doing something right…

Accessibility, constancy, stability, and value is a strong business model regardless of the product…

Rush doesn’t have to provide the best training soccer in the world; just satisfactory training at perceived value (low hanging fruit in the world of US youth soccer to be honest) …a brand can be a powerful thing if it gets established…and they are clearly working to establish/expand their brand…

12. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, I always confuse the two. Bartlett is a strange club. They have good teams that I have seen and then poof they disappear.

13. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Just take a look at the history of Eclipse agreements: All the benefit is one-way. They take the top players, coaches and resources until the agreement is broken. Ask GLSA.

Why TC made this deal is beyond me. Did they not learn from the deal they made with Magic years ago? Started with all the top boys playing w Magic in high-level competitions. Eventually all the top boys just went to Magic full-time. TC was left with a crumbling boys program that never recovered. Here we go again. Top players going to Eclipse and the top coaches working with Eclipse DA, so whats left for the players that stay at TC?

Inferno deal came down to two things: Eclipse wanted their 03/02 girls and their boys program to be able to compete in the new Boys ECNL/ENPL, and Inferno could no longer cover operating costs/pay coaches due to extremely poor business practices. Here we go again. But Eclipse run a tight business, been printing money for years. They aren't going to take on a huge number of scholarship/non-paying players. Knowing the massive egos of the two leaders, it's only a matter of time before they can't get along. Ask the former DOC, who went back to Ohio after what? One year?

You've got these Eclipse deals, you've got these FCU deals, you've got Fire making deals...but I think whats most interesting is Sockers aren't doing anything. ???

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I can back you up on the Inferno side as they did not take players or coaches from Crystal Lake.

Of course we all know how the Eclipse deals with GLSA and then in Waukegan worked out.

15. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe you knew something. Just read Rush will have a Fox Valley club based in Geneva/Batavia

16. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The Eclipse knows what they are doing. Get the kids in and show them the level of competition they can only get at Eclipse and then make the coaches disappear

17. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be what the 4th big club now:TCSA ,Strikers Campton?

18. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chicago Soccer Academy, CSA, is also based in Geneva. They have some strong girls teams in the younger age groups

19. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. I couldn't remember their name.

Didn't they break away from TCSA but the coaches had a no compete in x miles radius of TCSA and had to play out of Sycamore?

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Not to mention some parents who will buy into this from the acquired clubs side only to realize by the time their player is u14/u15 that despite how great the program is, that their kid is still on the 3rd tier team.

I got to admit - at first I was straching my head about all these mergers/deals. But now I am glad Sockers is just staying put. No worries about coaches, what team my kid will be on - players constantly shifting - kids being benched for some other player who is 2 hours out of town at another location. My kid wondering who her teammates will be. Better coaching - far less politics and not having to listen to parents bitch about why their super-star is not on the top team.

Everyone else can stay away and leave us alone :)

21. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Must have been a one year deal as they played out there last year but have been back in TCSA territory since the fall

22. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always love tryout time because the coaching movement begins along with the rumors.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    This is the first year I am nervous for my 2005
    :confused:

24. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    U13 is the year lots of kids start flocking to the big clubs

25. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw , this is exactly what happened. Teams got to expand their rosters so kids moved. IMO, there was also a readjustment of players after moving last year due to birth year.