Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    Still don’t know what this has to do with the success he has had with the West program and the relevance

2. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    I mean hey, the teams are good so who cares if their coach is indefinitely suspended from a major governing body, right? Sidenote you don't get indefinite suspensions for playing players down or tampering with another clubs players...those will get you 1-3 years.

The Huitrons/Eclipse West is the next PF/USA, CS/Stavaru, and so on. Little boutique club in Naperville that has a couple of good teams at U13 and down.
    Funny that the Eclipse West is mostly former Stavaru and USA kids anyway. In a few years most of those kids end up somewhere else and Eclipse West will be history. Older players will age out of the boutique clubs and go DA or Galaxy or something established, younger ones will find the next new hot name in Naperville. Whats the new one, Windy City Rampage? The circus continues.

illinisoccer repped this.
  3. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    The USYS is YSSL and State cup etc right?

incorrect - most are Inferno mixed with Stavaru with only a couple USA kids.

4. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    YSSL, State Cup, MRC, National League, any tournaments USYS-sanctioned only...anything USYS sanctioned. Before you say it, yes, he can still coach US Club-sanctioned events. Doesn't change the fact that he's done something to warrant an indefinite suspension from USYS. I wouldn't want my kids working with someone like that no matter how good the team was.

I coached in Naperville for years. I know there's Stav and USA kids all over their 06 and 07 teams because I used to coach many of them in some capacity.

5. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    Well he still coaches USYS events also so not sure about the indefinite.

6. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    It's a list updated less than a month ago. Maybe USYS needs to know about this? Seeing as their State Associations are supposed to police this maybe the issue is with IYSA?

"But...he still coaches and the teams are still good!" says the punch drinker.

This whole back-and-forth just goes to show that people clearly don't care about the character of the coach as long as the team is good. Who's really the problem?

I'm over this conversation.

7. Chicagoland Soccer Source

Barca
    United States
    Jan 23, 2018
    Not really - didn’t say my kid would play for him but stating just don’t know the circumstances of a non descriptive report —-
    Says the guy that DD left his family for a 20 year old to go tour abroad... you don’t know the circumstances and quick to judge

8. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Winning teams always a big draw-especially at younger ages.

but “pathway” is what it’s really all about (the sustainable draw) and Eclipse boys struggled with this prior to DD departure. This just makes that position even worse. But who knows maybe they grab a great hire.

Fire will pick a few up as well.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Converted that PDF to xlsx and I am having fun! Some parents on that for gods sake.

57 Lifetime bans/suspensions etc...

152 banned players - I know one player who is lucky she's not on there but most definately should be!

18 banned parents.

113 out of Ilinois...

10. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019

Sweet. Wa struggling with my NYE resolutions now I have a new goal! #bannedforlife

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah - need a column for why.

I see "pending charges" value as well :eek:

12. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTh do you have to do to get banned? Parents??? WTF! Are we talking Tonya Harding type stuff?!

13. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I would imagine they fall into two categories:
    1. Making physical contact with player, referee or coach.
    2. Embezzling from an organization.

14. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Maybe not so much Chicagoland soccer but the most recent U17 girls YNT camp was released: 28 total players. 22 DA. 4 ECNL. 1 on a boys team. 1 in USYS.

The U17s are one of the top YNTs in the program. Take these stats as you may.

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I was told by a GDA coach 2 years ago that US Soccer was not going to make it easy on ECNL girls to make YN teams. I think there is a strong silent push from many directions to get the top girls into the DA and I have been told as much on a few occasions. It's the largest reason why I think the GDA will eventually win when it comes to YNTs. However I would like too see a copmparison of college play/scholarships between the two - as that is where the ECNL has been very good.

Frankly the DA can take top honors. The ranks are incredibly small in terms of who can get in. I also think that winning the lottery is more likely then getting your kid on a YNT. Then there is the issue of pay.

Therefore IMO - and as I have often stated, college is the real metric I would look at when it comes to a good program.

16. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DA are a small subset and they are missing tons of girls who are probably better. This is what is wrong with USSF.

upper left repped this.
  17. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Agree and something similar takes place on boys side but in a different context.

But the trend is clear and those “girls who are probably better” will continue to migrate over or their clubs will migrate back to the DA. It’s simply a matter of time.

I hope I’m wrong and I wish we had interplay between ECNL and DA at some meaningful level.

I wish we had an open system where anyone good enough could compete and those that say they’re the best and world class had no fear of having an Open Cup type playoff system to truly determine who the best was.

Here’s hoping...(always hoping)

18. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can girls migrate when there less than what 20 girls DAs. Chicago only has one or two.

19. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019

More and more better girls will come to DA programs. The ones you referred to as better than many in DA currently (which I don’t argue) solely bc of how the federation operates. The best will know that DA is their chance for NT selection and many of the not best (who don’t know they’re not the best) will follow. And so on and so on....

There are two DA programs in Chicago - there was three when Eclipse joined that inaugural year. I think clubs like Hawks and other top ECNL teams will migrate back at some point in the future. But given experience on boys side the federation will be cautious to water it down too much.

How many ECNL sides in Chicago/Michigan? More than two (not including eclipse franchises)?
    I’m only aware of Eclipse but I don’t follow the girls side nearly as closely as the boys.

20. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one ECNL club in Chicago.

and I disagree the best girls won’t migrate to a DA because their parents can’t afford to migrate to a DA. Most will quit the game because there is no affordable pathway. The USSF only cares about parents that can afford to pay.

21. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    [QUOTE="lncolnpk, post: 38407205, member: 201948"I disagree the best girls won’t migrate to a DA because their parents can’t afford to migrate to a DA. Most will quit the game because there is no affordable pathway. The USSF only cares about parents that can afford to pay.[/QUOTE]

DA is no more expensive than ECNL.
    But yes, pay to play keeps a tremendous amount of talent on the sidelines or obscurity.
    Until we have legitimate incentives and get rid of the monopoly that controls our federation nothing will change imo.
    However things are changing. And there are very valid signs of hope. More and more of us are becoming educated and that’s a critical component to bringing about this change.

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #2647 VolklP19, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    So we have had the great opportunity to participate in additional soccer this winter. We have a fella out here who helps me with my open play in the summer who also puts together multiple indoor teams for the winter. This winter he put my daughter on a girls high school team which includes mostly sophmors and juniors (my daughter is in 8th grade). She loves it very much because she gravitates to the sport and like minded players. There is only one soccer player in her entire jr high (rec or travel) so to meet local players who can play well - especially upper classwomen has been a huge confidence boost.

This winter she also is playing with a tier 2 boys high school team from Crystal Lake, Central HS. These are all juniors and seniors and man is it a tremendously fast paced and physical game. This she loves the most because she has no fear of the boys - regardless of speed and size. She grew up playing against them at Sockers and looks up to the challenge. Playing against the boys specifically, has improved her game the most - by far! It has also given her tremendous confidence and joy.

Just an idea for those of you with female players out there. I know many are doing "extra" soccer outside of their clubs. This sort has been just awesome for so many reasons. If you can get your daughter on a skilled boys team where the pace is very fast and the skill is high - do it.

23. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    I think the winter offers the most opportunity for "extra" soccer because so many clubs do so little. If your kid is training 1-2x/week with the usual 40min indoor game I would def suggest finding more. Just heard about this "Grab-a-Game" that's basically just drop-in soccer. Probably more appropriate for older players since it's open to adults but I can't imagine open soccer being ultra-competitive. They have them all over Chicagoland...WC Fieldhouse, Fire Pitch, Soccer City, Canlan...but they're all pretty late in the evening. Hell I might dust off the Copas and have a go lol!

On a different note I'm told Sockers GK director resigned over the holidays. The exodus continues.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Our summer open play is mostly juniors/seniors from high school and college players (who play in college) who are back for the summer. It has been extremely competitive. It's 100% free.

The fella who helps me has created a summer season of organized games on top of this which does come with a minimal cost. After Super Y last summer, my opinion is that his league (since it's mostly boys and seniors/college players), is far better, cheaper and more enjoyable for my daughter.