Changes you would like to see in UEFA

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by shizzle787, Dec 22, 2015.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What changes would you like to see to the confederation?
    Here are mine:
    1. Boot Kazakhstan back to the Asian confederation (the majority of the country is located in Asia and travel for European competitions for clubs from truly European countries is prohibitive).
    2. The 14 countries that have league cups to get rid of them (unnecessary fixture congestion, redundant)
    3. Grant membership to Kosovo (who is considered a country by around 60% of UN countries)
    4. Although this may be impossible with freedom of movement laws, force players to stay in their own countries until they turn 23 (similar to the old Yugoslav league, where a player had to be 27 before he could
    leave)
    5. Allow cross-border leagues as long as they are counted as one country and are made-up of historically, culturally, and geographically similar countries (aka NO European super league)

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you do about a player with multiple nationalities like Adnan Januzaj who I heard had a choice of three national teams that are members of FIFA plus Kosovo?

3. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'd don't know. I would guess either 1) the country he was born (Belgium) or 2) where his parents are from (Kosovo, which I feel will be a UEFA member soon). But this is referring more to the national league than national team.

4. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So personally, he should have stayed in the Belgian league system until he was 23. What national team he can play for is a different story.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here are my changes:

1. During the UCL playoffs, no league root and champions root. Have the playoffs able to play anyone.
    2. Abolish the rule in the round of 16 in UCL/round of 32 in EL that teams cannot draw each other from the same league.
    3. Abolish the procedure of the UCL draw that the teams from same leagues must be divided equally between groups A-D and E-H. TV purposes is a rubbish reason.
    4. Add third place playoff spots to Champions League, Europa League, and European Cup.

6. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Personally, I like it the way it is as it guarantees at least 17 different countries will be represented in the competition (keeping in mind the balance of champions and overall quality).
    2) Yea, I have no problem with this (but Barca-RM probably do).
    3) Again this would be good, but it would mean TV would need to be able to carry 4 (or 5, in Spain's case) games at once on different channels so every team is shown live.
    4) I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I assume it is a third place match.

7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Yep, no.4 will be impossible in the EU. I like all the changes though, except league cups, and I'm not sure about Kazakhstan. League cups are old traditional tournaments, keep them. Also it's an extra chance at a trophy for smaller teams, since cups are unpredictable.

Kazakhstan culturally is pretty heavily Russian, so culturally it makes sense to have them in the same region as Russia, but geographically it's a bit far away. Then again, it would be far away to some of the Asian clubs too. So I don't mind one way or another.