Changes to the Rep System

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    That sounds great.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One compromise that might be worth considering would be to decrease the weight of rep points as they become more "history".

Perhaps 2 pts could be subtracted for each month a particular rep ages.

For instance, a good eval from a powerful member could be worth 10 pts in month one, 8 pts in month two, 6 pts in month three, until by month 6, it's not worth anything at all.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Great! Then we can have rep discussions like they were the FIFA rankings.

Oh wait.... never mind ;)

Sachin

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Sachin.

You see, under this system, rep points would not be just some fickle, capricious popularity contest.

No. They would be a useful tool to help explain to the more mentally challenged among us how FIFA rankings work!

Heck, BS might even get Sepp Blather's endorsement, and become the official message board of FIFA!

;)

5. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[beavis] uh-heheh... he said "powerful member"..... [/beavis]

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...going twice...

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't take the pressure! Please remove the rep. I actually like the one square setting. Being on a distinguished road seems so much more distinguished than having a lovely aura. Although having a lovely aura does tie in nicely with the wording for the description of positive rep.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, I don't disagree with those who think that we should get rid of it. I've been to the top of the mountain in rep points and it didn't really make that much difference in my life. It didn't even make that much difference to my BigSoccer experience, save for some people thanking me when I gave them my extra-powerful positive rep. All it seems to accomplish is a lot of squawking.

Or if we don't get rid of it, maybe make it so that people's reps are not visible to anyone but themselves, moderators, supermods, and admins. That way, people could still give feedback on other people's posts without posting "I agree" posts, but it wouldn't be something visible that people could get all hot and bothered about.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly.

While it's been fun bombing spammers and sock-puppets into the red, there's no net effect. They still start threads and post just as often. Without the ability to "vote someone off the island" as it were, public reputation is meaningless.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I was going to be a superstar, Nancy. I'll never get to be that close again!

;)

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm just curious to know how close kenntomasch was to being "kenntomasch is Huss". :D

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not add a tweak then, and have a kind of reverse ignore in place for the red-nippled.

Let BS supporters have the option to automatically "ignore" the red-nippled, with the capability to "un-ignore" any red-nippled posters whom they don't mind.

13. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Where's Rube Goldberg when you need him?
    Either make reputation forum specific, and/or set a per post expiration...

Or can it.

Or not.

PS - It occurs to me, I'd like a shrugging smiley, so I can sufficiently indicate my level of disinterest...when posting on topics I'm...disinterested in.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd have kept gerrymandering it if I had ever gotten close. :)

Seriously, I don't care. Get rid of it if you like. It's fun to play with and to give props to people who actually add to the discussion around here. I wasn't much on just doling it out to people I know.

But I already know who the worthwhile people are - most of those who aren't worthwhile I'm already ignoring (except for a couple for their comedic value), and like Andy said, if you can't drop-kick them out of here and they actually enjoy their red-nipple-ness, there's no point. They don't red card enough asshats around here, so it's kinda pointless.

15. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Future sig material.

16. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking on behalf of the less-affluent members of the board, I know that an individual poster's rep provides me with a relevance/intellect guide. I have sought out the comments of member's with high rep points in order to enhance my knowledge with a minimal learning curve.

Initially, the only way I was able to differenciate between a Soccer-Elder and a Soccer-Gooner was from their lovely aura, or their becoming famous soon enough. The old rep system helped to educate those of us who are very interested in learning about the beautiful game by showing us the way to the posters who represented knowledge over an extended period of time.

Please don't minimize the importance of this in your final decision, if one of the goals of this board is to expand the love of the game, to those of us who are in need of enlightenment.

For what it's worth, from the land of irrelevance :)

17. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    Some one, please help me. I've read through (almost) the thread, and still don't understand what is Reputation thing. Some people gave me, as I saw on My BigSoccer page, and wodered how did they do that. Because I don't see any icon possibly related to giving the Reputation in any posts on my screen. In lower-right? I see only Reply button. Gush, what is iiiiiiiiiiit???

18. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would tell you, but you're an unknown quantity at this point, y'know what I mean?

P.S - Check the green square under your username on your posts.

19. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    ?? I'm sorry, I don't.... Does it mean that I have no right to post here? But Support Desk gave me this thread's address.

I did. It's just .gif pic. Maybe, I misunderstood what you said. Check how?

20. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite the contrary. You are more than welcome to post anywhere you damn well please on this board, and i'm sure your opinions will be well heralded and praised throughout.

That said, there are rules.

They go something like this:
    1) Do the right thing.
    2) Don't do the wrong thing.

Follow any one or both of those rules...and...well...you'll be in the minority.

But You'll feel much better about yourself, trust me. :)

As for rep...

The .gif pic is a graphical representation of how much "reputation" you have at a current point in time. Basedo n how many points you have, you can go from one green square, to another green square, to yet another green square. You can even go up so high as having BRIGHTER green squares if you get enough positive rep points.

On the other hand, you can also have the square go to grey or red of you are being really bad and you get alot of negative rep.

You give someone rep by clicking on the scales icon at the lower left corner of their post. You can either approve (positive rep) or disaprove (negative rep) their post. Whatever rep you give them will be added (if positive) or subtracted (if negative) from their total.

Everyone gives you rep the same way.

You can check on your total rep points, as well as see all the rep you have been given lately on your "my bigsoccer" page, at the very bottom.

Lastly...place your mouse over your green reputation dot. leave it there until a message pops up by you pointer. Then, and only then, will you understand why you are an unknown quantity at this point.

Hope this helps. Good luck Grasshoppah.

21. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    Thank you, but....

I've noticed that. Up to here, I understand the "Reputation" thing.

This is. Maybe, that's my problem. (But anyway, now I found that's not in the lower *right* which someone wrote before, and this icon, I didn't know for a long time but look carefully now, wow, so this is the scale icon.. I thought it was a pic of crumpled-up paper.) Well, should I click the scale icon? It just moves me up to top of the thread on the same page. (Same thing happens in other pages too. I cannot use Smiles icons in Reply window. If I click, it just moves up to the top of the page.)

I know the list in My BigSoccer page, I found some there, and then I have this question....

A dot? Well, why mine's green? Anyway, on this dot, on green square, nothing pops up by placing pointer. On other user's dot, nothing happens. So, I still do not know what you meant. (Plus, other people have triangle with an exclamation in it. I don't.)

Looks like, as if I'm discriminated. I was not listed in the Members List until I reported it to the Support Desk. They didn't know why I was not listed there either. (Now I'm in.)

Thank you. At least, now I know something wrong with my membership here.

22. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    Ahhhh, I'm sorry, I think I found what was wrong. I was not discriminated, but the browser was... I've tried this forum on IE, then I could see the pop up thing. Green (or gray-blue) dot actually shows online or offline. I'll try scale icon later. (I hate IE, and it's not my default browser. So, later, I'll find other stuff by IE.) Thanx!!

23. maria_s

maria_s New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    E139°42/N35°32
    Well... I could not solve the problem. On IE, actually I can see the pop-up (or flag) when I place the pointer, but when I click, it just moves me up to the top of the page again. On my My BigSoccer page, some people left a message in the comment column, so it should move to add-reputation window or something... I thought it because I'm categorized as "unknown quantity" that has no right to add the rep to other, but I found one of them who put a rep to me also has "unknown quantity." Now again, I'm totally lost....

24. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    How do you know if you can affect a person's rep?

25. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You don't.