Changes to the Rep System

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Suddenly,
    I'm not half the man I used to be...

2. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doesn't make sense for users -- may help the mods, but definitely a knowledge setback for everyone else. Shortsighted change from my limited point of view.

Cheers!

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're neglecting to mention, Dustin, that THE MEMBER'S LIST SORTING BY REPUTATION FEATURE DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Some of the posters with the highest rep are listed near the bottom of the sorted list. Why? Who knows. But how about gekman or someone fixing it sometime this year.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still a quality person, Keith. Don't let it get to you. :)

I can see the point about having to keep up the good work to keep a high level of rep. That makes sense. People who have lives and don't post 100 times a day like some of us shouldn't worry about it. :)

5. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I'll take "unlikely" for $200, Alex.

While I don't have a problem with changing the rep system, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the "popularity contest" aspect of rep is ever going to go away.

It won't. No matter how long there rep exists, it isn't going to be very accurate as anything but a popularity indicator.

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of observations:

In a system where rep must be earned in a narrow time frame a person needs a steady stream of rep t omaintain a high level. The people that maintain a high level of rep give more rep per reputation voting. So the people most likely to maintain a high rep level are those who are in sub communities that award reputation frequently. Those who participate where reputation has to be really earned will not maintain a high level. So the referee forum might have few high rep posters, but NSR poster may have a lot. That I dont think is useful.

Some possible suggestions to more accurately reflect the matter:

- Adjust rep based on forum. If a lot of rep is given out in one forum, and little in another, getting rep in a forum where it is easy should be worth less than full value.

- Persons who nhand out a lot of rep should proportionately hand out less each time. So if I were to simply hand out rep at every opportunity at random, my rep would become less and less signifigant over time.

- Keep a permanant baseline of say the 20 highest/lowest (use absolute value) rep values a person has recieved that will not expire. That way there is some permanent history so that those who post infrequently will have some record, so all of reputation is not based on recent reputation votes.

I have no idea how you keep track of things server side, or if its implementable, but I think that will make reputation a more useful tool for getting a sense of which posters are valuable contributers and which are not.I just think those changes would lead to a more accurate picture of which posters are valued and which are not.

7. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Ultimately, the best way to phase out old rep is on a 'per post' basis. Set an arbitrary number, say... last 50-100 posts. That way, the once a week crowd won't feel discriminated against, and the 50 posts per day guys can quit massaging each other's egos...

Or... Implement a forum specific rep system.

I'd leave the details to you, because it's up to you to decide what's feasible, you'll be doing all the work, and I won't be affected either way... ;)

8. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    This is a bit contradictory isn't it, as their history will only be 60-90 days old?

Personally, I've never neg repped anyone as I think the trolls tend to wear it like a medal - the smell of burning martyr syndrome!

And positive rep IMHO is a measure of how long you get to spend on here, as well as the contibution you make - so those with low post-counts and high rep are the best contributors - is that correct?

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we just bag the whole damn thing?

There's a list of people I make a point of reading, and a list of people I completely ignore. It comes with being around awhile and has nothing to do with little colored boxes.

There are so many holes in any system like this - from the popularity issue to the "God only posts twice a year, so his rep expires and thus nobody notices him" factor - that favor repetition over quality.

To hell with the whole thing. I'd rather talk soccer with people I like than click up a page and go looking for who has the longest dick.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Look no further buddy.

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I suppose your bluntness is admirable, but I find this statement arrogant and outrageous.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only disappointed that my shrunken power failed to add a nipple to your dick, so to speak.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Boy if this isn't the most accurate statement of ElJefe since ... well.... ever.

Rep coming your way RP.

Sachin

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It was fun while it lasted, and I have to say I enjoyed bombing sockpuppets and spammers into the red, but my esteemed colleague Bill has the best idea I've read in this thread.

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, "rep" is certainly better than that stupid "All-Star" category BigSoccer used to have.

16. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone should get rep just for posting in a thread about rep.

BTW, What does everyone think of Title IX and Chivas USA? ;)

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't arrogance if it's true.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or the San Jose Earthquakes chances of surviving?

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it keeps being broke, chuck it.

People can't seem to figure out the right way to run the system. So it keeps being re-set.

Why not just throw the whole damn thing out?

Although it is fun bombing sockpuppets and repeated, obvious trolls into red.

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    i have a lovely aura

(No one's getting this subtle, clever "Flowers for Algernon" riff I'm doing? Fine. I don't need you people. I'll give MYSELF rep! The perfect crime!)

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as a person who consistently professes that size doesn't matter as well as person who has recently been in the top 10 rep-wise, I have to say that I completely and totally agree with this.

Those couple of repless hours the other day were quite mellow and nice.

23. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I didn't feel a thing............

24. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. I believe that ignorance and inferiority complex are more accurate descriptions of your statements. But since you don't give two craps what any of us think, I'll just quietly return to my world of irrelevance. Thank you for your brief contribution to the entertainment value of this thread.

25. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think it kind of defeats the purpose of having reputation points if you only count the last 60-90 days. Imagine if a business who had spent years making a name for themselves in a town, developing a client base and a reputation for quality products, suddenly losing any reputation they had earned older then 3 months... they'd go out of business!

If this is the way they're going to be done, we may as well not bother with having this feature.