Changes to the Rep System

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The following changes are being implemented to the rep system.

1) The rep options (on the comments dialogue box) have changed. Hopefully it will be clear this isn't a popularity contest.

2) Old rep will "expire" on a regular, rolling basis.

Flame away.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I still don't understand what the purpose of rep is, if it isn't meant to be a popularity contest.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that will be the case, but one can always hope.

So does that mean that a persons rep will fluctuate?

4. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Probably. It will be as consistent as your contribution is over time.

5. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's a visual cue, particularly helpful for mods, about the posters history.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I suddenly feel so small.

7. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    A few questions:

Can anyone tell me how this 'rep reduction' has been formulated? Because I see some people have lost over 5 green squares and others lost none at all, how come?

How much will the reviewed rep reductions take off per time?

If you have a period of inactivity on the boards will your rep reduce in your absence?

What was the determining factor in deciding what rep poins people could keep and what would be lost? e.g I had rep from the start of the month kept, yet rep from the middle of the month is gone, why?

Thanks for your time.

8. gekman

gekman Member

Jun 30, 2003
    New York City
    It was done by date. 60-90 days of rep was kept.

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears to be less than 30. I know I had rep a few times in July, but only my August numbers show.

Not that it matters, just an observation.

10. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't understand the 60-90 day range. Did some people keep more rep than others?

Edited to say that what I'm really asking is if different rules were applied to different users.

11. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    so does this apply if you have over 60+ days of inactivity?

If you have a period of inactivity on the boards will your rep reduce in your absence?

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    some people have the same amount of rp as they did beforehand whilstt others are back to 1green square again after haviing 5 :confused:

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gekman is a Metros fan.

60-90.

Get it now?

14. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    I don't agree with the idea of expiring reputation. If a post was good enough for rep "back then," it is good enough for rep now. Some of us don't post on BigSoccer every day, but when we do we try to make a well-informed point designed to help somebody else. For example, in the referee forum rep is not handed out very often from what I can see. But, when it is it usually means that particular post was very well thought-out and helpful. A referee poster with a high rep can usually be trusted as somebody who really knows what he or she is talking about. This is vital to the discussion in that forum.

Under the new system none of the referee posters will ever garner up enough rep points to have their status changed -- and even if they do, it will just disappear again. I've been a member for awhile now and was proud I earned 99 rep points solely from the referee forum. Now I have 16, and I cannot go back and re-read some of the posts that did earn myself positive rep because they have disappeared from the "rep history." Those are the posts that I like to share with others needing advice -- both on the forum and off. BigSoccer has almost become my own repository of conventional wisdom I've learned over my long career of officiating, with the rep'd posts being the most valuable. Not anymore.

Anyway, I don't really care about the actual point value -- 99 or 16 doesn't matter to me. What I do not like is having the history of rep'd posts disappearing along with the points. If you can find some way to keep the history but toss the points that would be acceptable to me.

15. gekman

gekman Member

Jun 30, 2003
    New York City
    all rep before a certain time stamp was deleted. it's that's simple. the time stamp was somewhere between 30 and 60 days ago. it was meant to be 60-90 but i read the timestamp wrong.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the changes, but I would prefer if one of the options wasn't italicized when the other one is.

Also, one of the big things I neg-rep for is posters who just flatout lie. On a discussion board, we ought to be able to trust that some poster has written what he thinks is true to the best of his knowledge. If we have to wrestle and validate a poster's stuff, you just get bogged down. I also would prefer if the neg-rep was written differently, more inclusively.

Finally, I think you shouldn't be able to give neg-rep without a comment. If you're gonna neg-rep, you should take the time to tell why.

But overall, good work.

17. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You dont' think a lie falls under flaming/trolling/etc.

18. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to second what Statesman said. The referee forum is probably one of the few forums where rep points are not abused or used as "popularity points". Since many people in the referee forum only post in that forum (and, as Statesman said, reputation is rarely given out), it is very difficult to attain a high reputation; so a poster with a high reputation can be seen by other posters as 'someone that knows what they are talking about' (which is relatively important when talking about refereeing...and yes, I know I just opened myself up to jokes about MLS refereeing). Anyway, in effect, the reputation system in the referee forum was working as it was supposed to be.

But, I do know that the referee forum is only one (relatively unpopular) forum of hundreds on these boards. So, if there was a technical reason to have reputation expire on a rolling basis, I understand the change; I'd just like to hear what the logic behind that change is? Other than that change, I do like all the other alterations made to the reputation system.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other suggestion.

Sometimes a poster does something annoying, but I don't want to go to an extreme and neg-rep them, and I don't want to get OT by bringing it up in the thread. For example, it annoys me when a poster quotes a 25 line post and then writes "Good post." Um, you didn't need to clip the whole thing. I know AndyMead hates text message writing.

Could we have a "neutral" or something option, that doesn't affect rep., but allows you to call attention to something. It might help keep threads on topic, at least a little bit.

OK.

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    lol ,you can change your rep points system as much as you want...
    at the end of the day only the "popular" posters will get any rep.
    All the rep will filter back to the same people.

With the rep points being removed regularly that guarantee's that only people who are "popular" or part of "rep giving" cliques will ever have any rep.

21. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I lost all of my well earnt rep.. :(

22. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah

I was like, how the hell did I lose that nipple? and if you recieve neg rep, after a certain amount of time will that dissapear as well? and your rep would go up with the passing of dated neg rep? Lord, why is this starting to sound like an algebra problem?

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Rep to gekman for that nugget!

24. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: yeah

I like the rolling rep even though it cut my points in half because otherwise one comment that draws a strong negative reaction (like agreeing with a certain call in euro2004...ahem) can wash out generally positive reaction to a large number of your posts over time.

BTW it is not keeping 60-90 days. I lost rep from the end of July so it looks like less than 30 is being kept

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: yeah

I like the new system. It *should* reward consistent high-quality contributors.

Sachin