Change of jersey color at half time...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Aug 15, 2007.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Just watched Fulham v Bolton on FSC.

Heavy rain, referee team had yellow jerseys H1, but came out in green for H2.

I've never seen this prior.

Are teams allowed to change color at halftime?

Is there particular law or ATR for us to stay same color the whole game?

2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I've certainly had teams switch jerseys at half. Usually when teams both wore dark colors, say green and navy, and then as the clouds rolled in it became difficult to tell the colors apart.

Perhaps one of the refs spilled his Gatorade on the jersey at halftime.

3. AspireNatlRef

AspireNatlRef Member

Jul 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As on official, I have changed colors at half time, (i.e. a torrental rain) but all of us retained the same colors both times...

No rule/law that tells me if this is right or wrong, but at both times I have done it, we neither conflicted with the players/goalkeepers colors, and it made common sense....

But who knows... I told both captians/coaches/teams what I was doing and they understood..

ANr

4. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    A long time ago....and I mean long, during my assessment upgrade to state 6 I was wearing all black. Within 10 minutes, two players collided in front of me, one got cut and I got splashed on my shirt, socks and shorts with his blood. I stopped the game for the injury, ran to a bathroom washed up, and changed my entire uniform in 2 minutes. I didnt have another black so I ended up finishing the game in my alternate pumpkin orange shirt. My linesmen still wore black for the rest of the match. The assessor was impressed I had a new change of uniform (I only brought it cause I was getting assessed) and passed me.

As for the players, as long as the uniforms are similiar in color and design, and the numbers match up with the roster and they are different from the other team, they can change at half time. I saw it happen twice at half time in the same tournament on a really hot day, the kids didnt want to run around the second half in soaking wet uniforms drenched in sweat. I always bring 2 yellows to a game and I will change my jersey to a dry one at half time if I need to.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this happen in an MLS match either last year or the year before. I believe the referee that game was Ricardo Salazar. I don't remember what the initial color was, but they changed into blue at halftime.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I could see the ref team switching at the half if there's been some indication of a color collision/confusion with a team.

I was told a team can not switch, could be considered unsporting behaviour and done to miss-lead the other team. Only seen it done once and that was in my first year reffing.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    When I was a child, we had a game during an extreme down pour. My team was wearing blue the opposing team was wearing white.

At half, the opposing team came out in dry yellow jerseys. The ref informed them they could change jerseys but that the "new" jerseys had to be identical to the ones worn in the first half. The team refused to but their whites back on and the ref declared a forfeit.

I always thought this was the correct call.

8. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Wow, that is really extreme. I just can't for the life of me understand why it is USB, (who would you card) and I think that almost all the time the other team wouldn't care. Does it even violate the spirit of the law? TO end a match because a team is wearing a different color shirt is really bad. Kids just want to play and I think over zealous referees looking for something should keep that in mind.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I don't think so.

We were playing in a tremendous down pour (had to play lots of teams from out of town).
    Our team is standing in the cold rain. The other team goes on to a warm bus and comes out in dry uniforms and those uniforms are totally different than what they started the game in.

Yes, I was pissed.

The game was not ended because they had different color shirts. It was ended because they refused to follow the refs order to put the first half jerseys back on.

The ref said you have to put the "whites" back on.
    Coach said we are not going to.
    What can the ref do at that point?

To be technical, once a team goes to a completely different uniform, how does a ref ensure that the numbers match - so he can keep track of cards etc.?

If the team wanted to continue to play all they had to do was put the "whites" back on. The ref gave them that option.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with changing and the referee was wrong.

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

You can change into the same uniform - you cannot change into a different uniform at half.

12. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Please post something to back this up. Cannot find anything in the LOTG, FIFA Q&A, or ATR that makes this an infraction. This does not in itself violate Law 4. At least that I can find.

13. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from the USSF web site:

It is pointless to argue the point unless you can point us to the rules of that particular competition. The fact that they were in a warm bus with dry uniforms and you were in cold rain has nothing to do with anything except state of mind.

If there was a roster with uniform numbers provided it is safe to assume that a player who steps onto the pitch can be booked for USB.

Changing uniforms at the half is not unknown. Some teams have introduced new uniforms at the half and there have been "throwback days." The decision to allow it rests with the competition, not the referee, but the referee should know the competition's rules before the match begins.

The bottom line is that your assertion cannot be proven without seeing the rules for that particular competition. Nothing can be gained by arguing it.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    My first post said "I always thought this was the correct call."

This second post was to clarify my point that it wasn't the change I was objecting to - I was objecting to the different uniform.

Well, no - It's still interesting to see how others would handle the situation.

Definitely - I agree - I was just trying to explain why/how they were able to change.

But why? - under your logic, numbers are not covered by the rules so technically all the players could come back out with different numbers and because there is no rule, there is no violation.

Yeah, but those are special occassions that were most likely agreed to before hand.

But likewise, the assertion that I am incorrect cannot be proven either.

Like I said, I always thought the ref did the correct thing. But I couldn't prove it either way. I thought someone on here might be able to straighten it out.
    That doesn't look like it is going to happen.
    I leave it as one of those "in the official's judgment" kind of situations.

15. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not. It's a "what do the rules of the competition say" situation. MLS rules say that the teams must wear the uniforms as listed in the match announcement that is sent to the teams and the referees.

RSL was fined for wearing the white uniform at a home game when they were scheduled to wear the reds. The referees allowed the game to proceed and the league fined RSL. Why? Because in the MLS Referee Handbook it says that the referee is to report it to the league.

About the numbers: In my experience, I have never reffed in a competition where lineups with numbers were required that did not require the players to keep the same number. I have seen exceptions made for blood on the uniform. Thus I said it was "safe to assume... "

The opinion of the referee should not be an issue: either the rules of the competition disallow it and tell the referee what to do, or the rules of the competition say nothing and the ref must allow it.

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But seeing that it happened 24 years ago - I can't really help you there ;)

17. Yellowshirt

Yellowshirt New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    If you recall...this happened in the recent world cup (can't rember which match just now)

Referees changed because they completely sweated through their uniforms (that was the claim) and needed fresh...the whole crew changed to a different color.

I do not recall any problem with this.

18. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah.

There have been some law changes since then. Wasn't offside based on the third-last defender? Had they invented uniforms?

19. Yellowshirt

Yellowshirt New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Dadof 6......you raly must keep up with the laws

Offside can only be called using the third to last defender when the defenders team has sleeveless jerseys AND the attacking team has one piece uniforms!:D:D:D