Championship Semifinal: Indy vs. FC Edmonton

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by jeffcoop, Nov 5, 2016.

1. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is it: what the team has been working toward since they first assembled back in February. I confess that, though I expected improvement from last year, I never expected this. But here we are.

Indy and Edmonton split their three games: one win, one loss, one draw. Indy scored one goal in each of the three games, which doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment until you remember that Edmonton surrendered only 21 goals in the full 32-game league season. The Eddies did limp to the finish line, losing three of their final five, but to be fair they had little to play for, having pretty much nailed down their playoff position awhile ago.

And with that, I'm off to the Mike on this gorgeous fall afternoon.

The One X repped this.
  2. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if I have to borrow money; I'm getting a seat at the stadium and watching the Championship game!

jeffcoop repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    one more game. i hope they can pull it off.

4. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really a wonderful game. Indy created chance after chance, with only poor shooting and some heroic defending by Edmonton keeping the score level. And after Ubi's goal, Indy continued to dominate (though there was a heart-stopping moment for Edmonton late on). It was a total team performance, the culmination of their collective efforts (and Hankinson's leadership) over the course of the season.

One more, lads.

5. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a viewing at Carroll Stadium? Or are you saying at Shuart Stadium in NY?

6. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not at Stuart. Hofstra told the Cosmos they couldn't have the stadium for the final. Instead, it's at a 2,600 seat soccer stadium (which makes the league look like a joke) at St. John's University.

BTL97 repped this.
  7. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a joke, what a perfect way to hold to possible final NASL game ever, would only make it greater for Indy to come in and stomp on the failed brand that is the Cosmos. Supposed biggest club in the league that can't even grab a stadium is going to let a no-name university bully them out of holding their championship game at their home ground. I know the league doesn't step in much (probably why it's failing), but they should really move the final to the Carroll, it'd be a shame to play the league final in 2,600 seat stadium that probably won't even be filled.

jeffcoop repped this.
  8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    whoa scorching hot take alert. that no-name university is their landlord soo...

i agree that it's not a great look for nasl to play their #TheChampionshipFinal on a field built atop a parking garage though.

9. BTL97

BTL97 Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that they're their landlord, but it really shows how seriously they take the Cosmos.

10. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why I don't really care for the NASL or the Cosmos right now; they'll have virtually half of the attendance from the USL Championship, in spite of a sell-out.

Something of this magnitude deserves much better.

BTL97 repped this.